• Aug 16th, 2021 4:11 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
52 posts
16 upvotes
Qc

Chatr 15$ plan

Got an old galaxy grand prime a little while ago ( got it free from a family member) to use as a second phone and was looking for really cheap plan and after some searching decided to try chatr as I had them before and it led to a half decent deal from rogers after awhile.

That said I wanted something like this:

Plan:
$15 NATION-WIDE TALK & TEXT
100 Canada-Wide Talk & Unlimited International Text

Note this plan also said I could receive call beyond the 100mins I just couldn't initiate the call myself.... so my idea was send text to wife and tell her to call me if I ran out of minutes..

What I liked about it however is that even though this is a not data plan it clearly stated if I used the auto pay option I would get a small 250mb per month.

I though great useful if only to use google maps if I am looking for something.

Fast forward to today a few month later in another city and was trying to use google maps to find a specific restaurant and direction and I couldn't get my 250mb data to work, fire fox giving me the network has been reset error and google maps was just spinning without doing anything.

Anyways got home later this evening and called chatr and the guy on the other end tells me I have zero data with this and there is not "250mb per month with autopay"... now ofc the plan is no longer showing on their website...smallest they go RN is the 20$ plan and he telling me it never included 250mb with auto pay and I know that's BS, my wife clearly remembers this too when we were shopping around...and he has no option to add 250mb either.

Guess I am just saying be careful with these cheap 15$ plans since they seem to remove them from their website and pull some bait and switch with the bonuses for auto pay etc

I am mostly bummed about this because I though maybe eventually I would get a decent offer from rogers for more mins and same or maybe a little more data for a similar or not much more but now I guess that wont happen at all!
lol

Anyone else ever have issues with these 250mb or 500mb free every month with auto pay?
Last edited by Danyel0U812 on Aug 7th, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16815 posts
4597 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Not worth the hassle in life to deal with Chatr.
Dec 4, 2013
788 posts
394 upvotes
Mississauga
Port to public mobile 15$ plan. /Thread closed
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19032 posts
6404 upvotes
Toronto
For $15, I would leave and go to Public Mobile. If you sign up for auto-pay, you get $2 off per month.
Images
  • C4C65242-FFF0-4E17-B173-9E48F55FC9D3.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5289 posts
2940 upvotes
GTA
Danyel0U812 wrote: Yeah I was just looking at them.

How are they in QC for coverage?

Guessing about the same and same quality as chatr?

Am I reading this right that not only do you get 2$ off for auto pay but you also get the 250mb with public mobile?

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/plans ... MB-3Gspeed
Chatr runs on Rogers network and Public runs on Telus network.

Yes, you get $2 off the advertised price if you use a credit card for auto-pay and the 250mb
[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
52 posts
16 upvotes
Qc
Dave98 wrote: Chatr runs on Rogers network and Public runs on Telus network.

Yes, you get $2 off the advertised price if you use a credit card for auto-pay and the 250mb
Thanks I think I will give them a try!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1053 posts
154 upvotes
Danyel0U812 wrote: Thanks I think I will give them a try!
At certain times like at Christmas they have gifts like 400 minutes or 1 or 2GB of data which doesn't expire unless you use it. My wife has this plan and she has never run out of minutes or data. I'm not sure but I think there is a further discount if you refer somebody to their service.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1845 posts
206 upvotes
Vancouver
100 outgoing minutes is kind of limited.
My dad is on a old chatr $20 unlimited talk, $22 after price increase, no text as chatr (Rogers) removed it from the plan.

IMO, the $15 Public plan would fit him, if I had to pick.
Sadly, the 100 minutes may deter him away.
May 27, 2016
177 posts
140 upvotes
BC
way2quik wrote: 100 outgoing minutes is kind of limited.
My dad is on a old chatr $20 unlimited talk, $22 after price increase, no text as chatr (Rogers) removed it from the plan.

IMO, the $15 Public plan would fit him, if I had to pick.
Sadly, the 100 minutes may deter him away.
You can add 500 Canada wide minutes to the $15 PM plan for $5; they won't expire until all used up. If he doesn't use a lot of minutes or only a lot some months this could still work.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7601 posts
1678 upvotes
Scarborough
keep in mind the public mobile or koodo etc pre-paid won't work outside Canada

Chatr can work outside canada if you top-up but its expensive
[OP]
Feb 11, 2018
52 posts
16 upvotes
Qc
Aye thanks all. I don't mind if it only 100 mins because this is a second phone. We also don't travel outside of canada right now or even before covid so not much of an issues but if we do my main phone can work outside of the country.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)