Tags:
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
38 posts
18 upvotes
Burnaby

Chatr - 45$/10GB - is it good?

Hello,

I have received a limited offer from Chatr, is it good?
I have the old 30$/4GB plan from the Mobilicity transfer with zones, the new offer is for 45$/10GB No Zones, I'm tempted but still not very sure.

Thank you very much

10 GB of Data
$45/mo. Nation-wide Talk, Text and Data
• Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
• Unlimited International Text, Picture and Video
• 10 GB at 3G speed
• After 10 GB keep using data at reduced speeds until your Anniversary Date
• International Talk Saver and Voicemail
Valid till May 19th
10 replies
Dec 13, 2017
244 posts
156 upvotes
if you are okay okay with 3g speeds then yes, if not its unusable
Jul 21, 2013
777 posts
464 upvotes
Calgary
10 GB at 3G speed, it's so so.
May 27, 2018
47 posts
18 upvotes
Waterloo
This may be a dumb question, but why do carriers offer discounted plans with 3G speeds? Infrastructure? Greed?

I only ask because my personal experience with 3G is that it’s completely unusable.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6090 posts
2437 upvotes
Canuckland
No, this is actual 3g which coverage sucks hard

Maybe if it was LTE at 3g speeds
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1128 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Emotion94 wrote: This may be a dumb question, but why do carriers offer discounted plans with 3G speeds? Infrastructure? Greed?

I only ask because my personal experience with 3G is that it’s completely unusable.
To upsell on LTE data with second and first tier carriers. Plain and simple.

But I have to say that Public Mobile "3G" is actually LTE with throttled data speeds and is very reliable with great reception.
Koodo $40 13GB!
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
592 posts
516 upvotes
The 3 G speed at Chatr is really unstable and slow. I would recommend you go with Freedom instead.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19485 posts
8961 upvotes
Oakville
Emotion94 wrote: This may be a dumb question, but why do carriers offer discounted plans with 3G speeds? Infrastructure? Greed?

As mentioned, to offer differentiation between tier 3 and tier 2 brands. And the reason they charge for calling customer service on tier 2 brands is to differentiate between them and tier 1 brands

But also as mentioned - Lucky and Public Mobile are actually LTE data connections, just speed limited to 3Mbps (which is actually quite usable). Chatr, on the other hand, is real HSPA+ 3G (which actually has faster top speeds, but much worse latency, which is what kills it for things like voice calling through apps, and makes web browsing seem much slower and less responsive)
Dec 10, 2018
17 posts
1 upvote
Drop calls very often. The 3G networks from Rogers is actually very congested. Even the voice call quality is the worst when comparing to Public Mobile and Lucky Mobile.
Jul 12, 2011
544 posts
224 upvotes
MARKHAM
No, Zoomer usually has 3-4GB (LTE) for $36 and you get a free phone if you sign for 2 years. I would choose that plan any day over 10gb (3g) from Chatr for $45.

I'm using Chatr atm and the data is slow, it doesn't work everywhere but it does it's job I guess. I also have a very good plan so that's the only reason I'm sticking with them. $25/6gb.

I wouldn't pay $35 for this plan tbh.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7963 posts
1609 upvotes
Whats the point of paying more when you arent billed for over usage. Do you go over your allocated amount all the time?