Chatr changed my old Mobilicity $25 plan to $30

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 11:52 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2006
160 posts
85 upvotes

Chatr changed my old Mobilicity $25 plan to $30

I have just noticed that Chatr changed my old Mobilicity $25 plan to 30$ plan, still includes the same features - unlimited in-zone talk, text and data (6G at 3G speed).

I have not done anything to change the plan and they only did this with one of my two phones with them. They did it on their end without my consent. The plan was supposed to be for life.

Plan Activation date June 25th, 2014, but now instead of Monthly fee (before taxes) of $25, it shows 30$. WTH? Can they do this? What is my recourse?
I hope this is a mistake or I will be very mad :(

18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1763 posts
909 upvotes
Calgary
Also, "For life" generally means "for the lifetime of the company." Mobilicity is no more, so existing wording such as this isn't a guarantee (though that's something former Mobilicity/current Chatr customers aren't willing to admit).

Very rarely do "for life" claims transfer when a company is bought out.
[OP]
Mar 12, 2006
160 posts
85 upvotes
Sorry, I did not see this news in the other thread.

Anyway, I was able to successfully argue with the CSR and they transferred me to the technical team, which updated the class of the account to match my other phone number, which was not increased.
The CSR told me that the other account has not increased as it was a different class, which is strange as both numbers have been on the same $25 for life Mobilicity plan.
One number was activated in 2011, the other number which increased was activated in 2014.
Both accounts are now 25$ with the same features, the only difference is the one they updated has changed the anniversary date with one day ahead.
They said they review the plans from time to time and could not promise this price will stay $25 for life.
Chatr used to bill me for both accounts on the same day, now there will be one day difference.
Did not argue for the 5$ refund, oh well...
Jul 31, 2015
388 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
vdimitrov wrote: Sorry, I did not see this news in the other thread.

Anyway, I was able to successfully argue with the CSR and they transferred me to the technical team, which updated the class of the account to match my other phone number, which was not increased.
The CSR told me that the other account has not increased as it was a different class, which is strange as both numbers have been on the same $25 for life Mobilicity plan.
One number was activated in 2011, the other number which increased was activated in 2014.
Both accounts are now 25$ with the same features, the only difference is the one they updated has changed the anniversary date with one day ahead.
They said they review the plans from time to time and could not promise this price will stay $25 for life.
Chatr used to bill me for both accounts on the same day, now there will be one day difference.
Did not argue for the 5$ refund, oh well...
Wow thanks!

I was wondering if I could ask. Did you call Chatr or just chat on Facebook messenger? Can I ask how exactly you worded your request to roll back the monthly rate?
Jul 31, 2015
388 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks Vdimitrov!!! You da man!!

Just called Chatr support. Was very calm and polite. No yelling (it never helps). Front line customer rep acknowledged the fee hike. Said it was because Chatr regularly reviews plans and services. Said my plan no longer is available. I said okay understood. But wanted to escalate the issue. She then offered me a $15 credit on my acccount. I politely declined and asked to escalate. She transferred me to another person. I said I would like to continue being a satisfied Chatr customer with the $25 rate. She agreed. Adjusted my billing date. Got the old rate back. Didn’t ask for the extra $5 paid last month. I also probably paid a $5 fee for calling in to change to my account. Felt it wasn’t worth fighting for. Everyone was very polite but be ready for some resistance. Just saved $120/year (2 lines) with one phone call. Gotta love RFD :)
Jul 31, 2015
388 posts
204 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Follow up:

Just got an email stating Chatr auto-pay unenrolment Confirm. Guess that’s what the billing date change was. Huh... wonder if that shoots me in the foot for any future billing changes. Since that probably changes the conditions of the Mobilicity agreement I first signed.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19318 posts
7423 upvotes
Toronto
turtlepower11 wrote: Follow up:

Just got an email stating Chatr auto-pay unenrolment Confirm. Guess that’s what the billing date change was. Huh... wonder if that shoots me in the foot for any future billing changes. Since that probably changes the conditions of the Mobilicity agreement I first signed.
All carriers have terms and conditions covering plan changes. They are very identical. Basically they can change whatever they want when they want when there's no contract in place. We haven't had contracts since the current wireless code came into effect. All the plan grandfathering we see is pure goodwill.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jun 4, 2013
7 posts
2 upvotes
Chatr bumped my plan to 30 last week without notice.

Called and have them reverted it to 25. Also get the 5 refunded.

It took only 10 minutes. I directly requested to speak with a supervisor and didn't want to waste time with the poor representative.

Everyone should call if they secretly changed your plan
[OP]
Mar 12, 2006
160 posts
85 upvotes
turtlepower11 wrote: Follow up:

I have received the same e-mail and had the same concerns. I called Chatr and politely explained the situation and asked them why they have cancelled my auto-pay without my consent.
After checking with the back office the CSR explained that because when they re-established back my original plan of $25/month they had to change the anniversary date, they had to also cancel the auto-pay to avoid double charge.
The CSR told me not to worry and that this is not considered me signing a new plan and that the back office will re-enable the auto-pay and I don't have to do anything.

In regards to the terms and conditions, I also believe that all grandfathering of plans is goodwill and Chatr can change the plans if there is no contract in place. However, I have a written contract with Mobilicity. Mobilicity are not around, but Chatr (Rogers) bought them, so they also assumed all contracts. I am not a lawyer, but it makes sense that they have to meet the contractual obligations of the company they bought.

Here are the Chatr Terms of Service:

Can chatr change my Services or my Agreement?
Yes, chatr may change any aspect of a Plan that you subscribe to on an ongoing basis and the corresponding Agreement, as long as we give you at least 30 days' prior written notice. We will send you the written notice by text message, letter or e-mail and will explain the change and when it will take effect.
Apr 3, 2015
79 posts
12 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I was also able to change my plans back. I was told that these plans were not categorized as "price for life". When I argued I was told they would move our plans to this category if proof was provided. Anyone have anything in writing?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
9193 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
I wish I saw this before moving to PM :(. But oh well, so far PM service has been significantly superior to Chatr. Just need to convince myself its worth the difference.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14121 posts
2229 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Ash9001 wrote: I was also able to change my plans back. I was told that these plans were not categorized as "price for life". When I argued I was told they would move our plans to this category if proof was provided. Anyone have anything in writing?
I will call tomorrow and test my luck as well
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14121 posts
2229 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Spent an hour on the phone, supervisor couldn’t do anything. Asked me to send an email to contact.us@chatrwireless.com with proof of “for life” plan.

Did admit that there are select few folks who are in for life category.

He didn’t have the power to make any changes.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14121 posts
2229 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Update: Plan switched back to $25 for life (luckily I had documentation from a CCTS interaction years ago).

had two lines, applied to both.