Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CHATR

CHATR 50$/10.5GB ymmv

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2019 9:38 pm
Tags:
Jul 15, 2019
18 posts
29 upvotes

CHATR 50$/10.5GB ymmv

Retailer:
CHATR
Found promotional deal from CHATR to retain customer (ymmv) in my account.

INCLUDES
Unlimited Canada/US Talk
Unlimited Text to Canada,
US & International
10 GB at 3G speed. Continue using data at a reduced speed until your next Anniversary Date.
Auto-pay offer: Bonus 500 MB data at 3G speed/month
International Talk Saver
Voicemail
Images
  • Capture.PNG
12 replies
Jul 15, 2019
18 posts
29 upvotes
I am using it since 2016..never had any issues from Windsor to Ottawa. It's operated by Rogers
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2002
2019 posts
3072 upvotes
Mississauga
3G speeds for $50? LOL is this 2009?
Jul 15, 2019
18 posts
29 upvotes
Technically you are right. 3g is slower than 4g, but not a big difference for ppl who just want to surf, stream and download stuff. It's cheaper then what you pay with big name service providers.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
williamsauga wrote: is Chatr data speed reliable?
No. They limit you to 3G/HSPA, making the data experience rather poor, depending on where you are.

For me Rogers HSPA is basically useless for many areas I frequent.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
HardikD59463 wrote: Technically you are right. 3g is slower than 4g, but not a big difference for ppl who just want to surf, stream and download stuff. It's cheaper then what you pay with big name service providers.
The big difference is they actually limit you to 3G technology. For example PM's '3G' plans actually let you connect to their 4G/LTE network (with all the benefits) but limit your bandwidth to 3Mbps.

Chatr OTOH limits you to Rogers' HSPA network. Depending where you are that can range from acceptable to useless.
Last edited by repatch on Jul 17th, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2451 posts
873 upvotes
repatch wrote: The big difference is the actually limit you to 3G technology. For example PM's '3G' plans actually let you connect to their 4G/LTE network (with all the benefits) but limit your bandwidth to 3Mbps.

Chatr OTOH limits you to Rogers' HSPA network. Depending where you are that can range from acceptable to useless.
What is the point to go 3G when you could go 4G with Freedom Mobile for the same price?
Even if FM 4G is not yet comparable to the Others. At least, you help foster competition with the Others (Telus/Bell/Fido) and your speed will be overall better than 3G.
By supporting Chatr and PM, the Others are able to maintain their high prices by sending all the low end market to their 3G affiliates. Capire stronzo?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Just ported from Chatr less than a week ago, the 3G data is about 2 mbps. That's what had me fed up and wanting a LTE data plan with another carrier.

You can get the same amount of data if not more at Freedom Mobile. Their LTE is hit or miss and you might be on 3G sometimes too but at worst you're at 2 mbps but if you're in a good LTE zone you'll get 50+ mbps.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10213 posts
11277 upvotes
andreid wrote: What is the point to go 3G when you could go 4G with Freedom Mobile for the same price?
Even if FM 4G is not yet comparable to the Others. At least, you help foster competition with the Others (Telus/Bell/Fido) and your speed will be overall better than 3G.
By supporting Chatr and PM, the Others are able to maintain their high prices by sending all the low end market to their 3G affiliates. Capire stronzo?
FM CAN be a good option, it depends where you are, and VERY important: whether your phone fully supports FM.

You NEED B66 LTE support in your phone for FM to be acceptable. It's a VERY good idea to also have B13 LTE.

Then there is the matter of coverage (obviously) and bandwidth (less obvious). FM still has bandwidth issues in MANY areas. These are situations where you'll have 'full bars', but not actually be able to download anything. This issue has been dramatically reduced the last few years, but it's still there. There are places on my commute where I know that even though I have a good signal strength I won't even bother trying to use my FM account.

So, FM is a good choice IF it's a good choice for you and your circumstances.

FWIW PM is the best choice. Similar prices to both Chatr and FM but a FAR better network then both. You get the Bellus LTE network with PM, it's vastly superior to FM's LTE network, and also far superior to the HSPA connection you'd get on Rogers with Chatr.

As for 'help foster competition': while a commendable sentiment, and kudos to you if you do it, personally? No, it doesn't factor into my equation. It's my money, I will spend it where it is best for me. Some nebulous 'better competition in the future' thing will have zero influence for me. Is that selfish? Yup. Oh well, I'd rather had a phone that works where I frequent, then one that doesn't. Just me.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1708 posts
334 upvotes
i don't know how to properly do a comparison, but i am happy with chatr 3G since mobilicity time and it's very good for what i need, on the side, china is installing 5G network in major cities this summer and we are still using 4G, so those who complain 3G is slow and willing to pay for a premium for the 4G in here, you can go to China and have 5G at fraction of the cost of our 4G service here, well technically, fraction of the cost of the chatr 3G service Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
Just checked my parents' account and we also have these offers:
line 1: $55 - 15 GB, unlimited CAN/US Talk
line 2: $45 - 8 GB, unlimited CAN Talk
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
andreid wrote: What is the point to go 3G when you could go 4G with Freedom Mobile for the same price?
When you’re inside Yorkdale mall tryna call an Uber and you g2a walk to the other side of the mall for service, you’re reminded it’s not worth it lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)