Cell Phones

Chatr doesn't show caller name?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2016 4:13 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1550 posts
903 upvotes
TORONTO

Chatr doesn't show caller name?

Got an odd question with Chatr phone service (I don't know anyone else who uses Chatr so I don't have anything to compare with).

The service has my name on the account and it works fine aside from this issue.

When I call other people who have caller ID with name display, they see my phone number, but instead of seeing my name, they see "UNKNOWN NAME".

This happens when I call both landlines and cell phones.

Unfortunately, when many people see a call from "UNKNOWN NAME", they think it's a telemarketer or a scammer and don't answer.

I called Chatr but the reps I spoke with claim that it's a limitation of their service, can't be fixed and they can't put my name on it.

Anyone else had this issue with them?
8 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
211 upvotes
M8Rxmjsik wrote: Got an odd question with Chatr phone service (I don't know anyone else who uses Chatr so I don't have anything to compare with).

The service has my name on the account and it works fine aside from this issue.

When I call other people who have caller ID with name display, they see my phone number, but instead of seeing my name, they see "UNKNOWN NAME".

This happens when I call both landlines and cell phones.

Unfortunately, when many people see a call from "UNKNOWN NAME", they think it's a telemarketer or a scammer and don't answer.

I called Chatr but the reps I spoke with claim that it's a limitation of their service, can't be fixed and they can't put my name on it.

Anyone else had this issue with them?
ask those people to add your name to phone-book/contact list. This is just temp fix.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1550 posts
903 upvotes
TORONTO
sandeeS wrote: ask those people to add your name to phone-book/contact list. This is just temp fix.
Yes, but you have to tell everyone to do that, and it doesn't work with landlines... I was expecting Chatr to work like every other mobile carrier.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 26, 2011
2607 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gee wrote: As far as I know, only Rogers offers name display

All other carriers only offers carrier ID
This was my impression as well. Only Rogers and their wirless sub brands and Landlines / VOIP had the ability to show NAME.
TELUS, BELL and WIND don't have Name display.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1550 posts
903 upvotes
TORONTO
mobifree wrote: This was my impression as well. Only Rogers and their wirless sub brands and Landlines / VOIP had the ability to show NAME.
Chatr is a Rogers sub-brand :) but it doesn't work :(
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1085 posts
527 upvotes
Gee wrote: I don't think the sub brands offer it

You pay a premium to Rogers for a reason
I can confirm fido has it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33702 posts
7348 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
M8Rxmjsik wrote: Chatr is a Rogers sub-brand :) but it doesn't work :(
It has nothing to do with you. Call Chatr and make sure your name is on the caller ID

It now depends on who you call. If your friend are on Fido and Rogers, they should see your name

If they're on Telus, they see your number only

I suspect your name is not on the caller ID at Chatr

Top