• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 6:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
223 posts
270 upvotes

Chatr now has LTE data.

Finally, they jumped off their crappy 3G network to migrate to LTE for Nationwide customers. Now their next step is to increase data caps or add Extended coverage.
Sadly, for the time being, people on the Mobilicity legacy plans will remain on the 3G network. LTE is for those on Nationwide plans.
Link: https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/conte ... a_services
Scroll down.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4093 posts
2364 upvotes
Gotham
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2010
1190 posts
590 upvotes
Waterloo
About time, Public & Lucky have had LTE forever.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2641 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't apply to those who migrated from Mobi though. Jerks
"8. I have a chatr in-zone plan, will I be moving to the LTE Network?
chatr in-zone plans are not supported by the LTE Network.

To take advantage of the LTE network, we encourage you to upgrade to a nation-wide plan; With this upgrade, you’ll enjoy a reliable and consistent wireless experience with the 3G data speeds you expect.

To change your plan, visit my chatr."
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1974 posts
1085 upvotes
Calgary
batcave wrote: Backwater service.

When AT&T decomissioned their 2G network in 2017, they gave me a free smartphone that would work on the new network. I wonder if Rogers will do that for their customers.
If it was their main Rogers or Fido subscribers, sure. Chatr? Not a chance!
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11729 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
LeifS39303 wrote: Now their next step is to increase data caps or add Extended coverage.
Apr 10, 2020
255 posts
976 upvotes
PressureBoom wrote: About time, Public & Lucky have had LTE forever.
While it's a good change, the LTE signal on the Rogers network is not as good as Bell or Telus. I'm sure all carriers can reach the same capped speed, but Public and Lucky still has an edge over chatr in terms of latency.

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote: Doesn't apply to those who migrated from Mobi though. Jerks
It's obvious they want those subscribers on their grandfathered plans to switch. Not a fair move, but nonetheless expected from chatr.
Oct 27, 2006
898 posts
224 upvotes
would be great if grandfathered guys get LTE, best plan ever, $25 + tax for 6GB of LTE data
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1035 posts
836 upvotes
Markham, ON
If (when) Public, Lucky, Chatr start offering VoLTE and VoWIFI, then game over.
FIDO, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3158 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
at87on wrote: If (when) Public, Lucky, Chatr start offering VoLTE and VoWIFI, then game over.
Funny thing is, all those sub providers are still companies of Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Regardless they will get their money.

What would be cool is if, Freedom up's their game and has the greatest coverage. Then we may have competition, till then it's only the big 3's with your cash.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1049 posts
85 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Funny thing is, all those sub providers are still companies of Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Regardless they will get their money.

What would be cool is if, Freedom up's their game and has the greatest coverage. Then we may have competition, till then it's only the big 3's with your cash.
Aren't prices getting better? Or, value for money at least? I just saw 20gb plan from Telus for $70 or so. 5 years ago, that was unheard of.
Feb 24, 2017
23 posts
9 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Funny thing is, all those sub providers are still companies of Telus, Bell, and Rogers. Regardless they will get their money.

That will happen when Shaw/Freedom start rolling out band 71. Which is happening in the U.S., but for some reason not happening in Canada yet. Weird. Shaw/Freedom needs it badly, I would have thought they'd have done it as soon as possible (and done it before offering Shaw-branded service especially).

For most customers on Chatr, I doubt access to the LTE network means much. Locally at least, there are very few places that do have LTE but don't have 3G. Is that different elsewhere? It doesn't look like it on their coverage map. Perhaps latency will drop a little? I wouldn't expect it to be a lot. Throughout probably won't change at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3158 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto, ON
johnwayne wrote: Aren't prices getting better? Or, value for money at least? I just saw 20gb plan from Telus for $70 or so. 5 years ago, that was unheard of.
True, I can agree sort of, looking at the plans nowadays it's more easier to digest. But anyone looking to get a cell has to pay on top of the monthly price for a new cell.

Just last year, I was able to get a $0 iPhone 8 for my dad on Virgin for $50/4GB unlimited plan (so basically the price of the plan includes the price of phone+plan).

But now, let's say you get a good deal on $50/9GB unlimited plan and want a new phone, you'll be paying financed fee of min $19.99 per month for the phone.

But then again, I did see some deals for $0 for phone and $0 monthly (so basically you just pay for the plan price), but that was Freedom. They won't get much customers until they up their network as the other poster mentioned.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1049 posts
85 upvotes
lamboman wrote: True, I can agree sort of, looking at the plans nowadays it's more easier to digest. But anyone looking to get a cell has to pay on top of the monthly price for a new cell.

Just last year, I was able to get a $0 iPhone 8 for my dad on Virgin for $50/4GB unlimited plan (so basically the price of the plan includes the price of phone+plan).

But now, let's say you get a good deal on $50/9GB unlimited plan and want a new phone, you'll be paying financed fee of min $19.99 per month for the phone.

But then again, I did see some deals for $0 for phone and $0 monthly (so basically you just pay for the plan price), but that was Freedom. They won't get much customers until they up their network as the other poster mentioned.
I agree with regards to adding a phone; it adds up.
However, we as consumers, have to distinguish wants and needs. Today, a cell is a need. Iphones or other high end phones are wants.
You can get a better plan with a phone today than you can few years ago. You might not get the latest and greatest but you can obtain something within your usage and budget.
You quoted an example of a promo 9gb plan but I can add that you can also look at Zoomer; phone and a 6gb plan for $40-45.