Computers & Electronics

Cheap 4K TV (43") as a monitor (no gaming)?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 9:13 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 19, 2014
158 posts
150 upvotes
Markham, ON

Cheap 4K TV (43") as a monitor (no gaming)?

I was thinking about getting a cheap 4K TV to use as a monitor.

Maybe this one?

TCL 43S425-CA
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/tc ... a/13185857

I have seen Youtube videos of others using it for such purpose. Has anyone in RFD done so?

I will not be doing any gaming whats-so-ever with it, not even Solitaire.

RFD, Coding (Visual Studio Code, XCODE, Android Studio), Youtube, Prime Video, Netflix and e-mail will pretty much be the only functions.

I don't really care about the video quality of my streaming content, I just don't want my eyes to be all F'd after a days work (coding)
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19183 posts
22042 upvotes
Should be fine.

Sit 2' to 3' away.

The panel is 4K60 RGB 4:4:4 8 bit, it covers the basics as a Productivity Panel.

It's not very bright, but you don't need it to be when you're sitting this close. Your eyes should adjust.

It's a reasonable choice, especially if you don't care about viewing angles.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19560 posts
5647 upvotes
Toronto
I believe that is a VA panel. If so, then it's not recommended, because of poor viewing angles.

For a computer monitor that size, you'd probably want an IPS screen.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19183 posts
22042 upvotes
EugW wrote: I believe that is a VA panel. If so, then it's not recommended, because of poor viewing angles.

For a computer monitor that size, you'd probably want an IPS screen.
I've used both, IPS is better, but VA is not a deal killer anymore. Most modern VA panels don't have horrible viewing angles, not like TN from 15 to 20 years ago.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2433 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use a 55" TV as a monitor for watching shows and surfing, it mirrors the display from my 27" 4K IPS monitor. The quality is not comparable, the black levels on the TV are garbage and especially noticeable since the IPS monitor is right next to it. Also unique to my situation is screen tearing due to the mirrored displays.

With that being said, now that I've experienced surfing the web on a TV while lying in bed, I couldn't ever go back.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2469 upvotes
Toronto
I tried that 43” tcl 4 series for pc monitor...would avoid. Very poor viewing angle resulting in darken sides and discoloration even sitting directly in front and middle. Also dirty screen which is noticeable especially when browsing and scrolling since mostly white background. Returned it and got q60t same size and is so much better, no discoloration, even colors and viewing angle throughout, no dirty screen, perfect white, and even wide color gamut! Its like ips screen but with deep blacks! The downside is...i cant get it to be color accurate...so colors will be off...and maybe look a bit washed out...but colors still better than the tcl.
To the moon
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19183 posts
22042 upvotes
It's true that the Samsung Q60T 43" is a better PC Monitor, but it's substantially more expensive.

I've had people high and low ask about the TCL 43" 4K TV-Monitor when it went on sale for $250. It's a 6.5 / 10. It'll do, and many of us have grown up on far worse panels. It's definitely sub-par, but not horrific.

By the way, pre-COVID pricing is dead, so don't wait for another $250 sale on this panel. Work-at-homers and CERBers are consuming panels and technology like it's going out of style.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7132 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
I think you should wait for Black Friday and pick up an actual monitor of the appropriate size. I have a 32 inch Samsung 4k VA panel that goes on sale from time to time @ ~$329.

IMHO the ideal size for 4k is between 30-36 inches for most people sitting at a regular desk.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Sr. Member
May 12, 2004
836 posts
108 upvotes
I'm minority I guess. I prefer VA screens. I have a 32" Benq VA monitor which is extremely colour accurate with contrast levels not matched by IPS. I just recently bought a cheap Walmart RCA Roku TV 43" 4k HDR tv to use as a monitor too. Expensed to company WFH benefit. It's basically the same as a TCL 4 series from all that I can tell and VA based. Sitting distance from where I am I can't really tell viewing angle degradation and again love the contrast.

As a reference I have LG OLED for home TV and always wanted something inky black like the OLED for computer use. VA is best affordable thing there is for me. I color calibrate all my displays with DisplayCAL and ColorHCR. I can't afford that LG 48" CX OLED for a computer monitor lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19560 posts
5647 upvotes
Toronto
Tennoh wrote: I'm minority I guess. I prefer VA screens. I have a 32" Benq VA monitor which is extremely colour accurate with contrast levels not matched by IPS. I just recently bought a cheap Walmart RCA Roku TV 43" 4k HDR tv to use as a monitor too. Expensed to company WFH benefit. It's basically the same as a TCL 4 series from all that I can tell and VA based. Sitting distance from where I am I can't really tell viewing angle degradation and again love the contrast.

As a reference I have LG OLED for home TV and always wanted something inky black like the OLED for computer use. VA is best affordable thing there is for me. I color calibrate all my displays with DisplayCAL and ColorHCR. I can't afford that LG 48" CX OLED for a computer monitor lol.
I agree a 32" VA screen is usually OK. However, IMO not so much at 43", at least if you're seated close to it like on a regular desk. Interestingly, at least until recently, IPS seemed to be the preferred technology at 43", even for TVs that were VA for all the bigger models of the same model line. I suspect it is because the TV manufacturers realized people were using 43" TVs as desktop monitors.

As for the 48" LG CX OLED, IMO it's too big for a desk at 2.5' from my face for regular desktop use. It would be better for the gamers though, for that immersive experience. I want one for my living room, as it's the absolute biggest size that will fit in the multi-media cabinet. Right now I have a 43" 4K IPS screen there. Black levels suck at night. Mind you it's really just for kids cartoons and stuff or Netflix when I'm cleaning up during the day these days, and in that context it looks decent. I have my 65" OLED in another room for true blacks. :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 24, 2007
1992 posts
600 upvotes
looking for same as OP, want to get rid of my 3 monitor setup. Any insight on this Phillips 43" think this is IPS but hard to verify details. Hope by Black friday there be some deals.

Philips 43” 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV, 43PFL5704/F7

Your text to link here...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
19183 posts
22042 upvotes
astrotrain wrote: looking for same as OP, want to get rid of my 3 monitor setup. Any insight on this Phillips 43" think this is IPS but hard to verify details. Hope by Black friday there be some deals.

Philips 43” 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV, 43PFL5704/F7

Your text to link here...
I would love feedback from buyers of this TV for Monitor use. Different reports have it including either a VA or IPS panel.

I truly believe that the following panels are 6 / 10 or better PC Monitors, i.e. passable for productivity purposes:
- TCL 4-Series 43" 4K TV (2019)
- Philips 43PFL5704/F7 43" TV (2018/2019) -- Partial Evidence

I would avoid like cold death any of the RCA 43" 4K panels.

Top