• Mar 2nd, 2021 6:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west

Cheap 5.1 HTIB or receiver

My father in laws Sony HTIB receiver died the other day. The speakers are all prewired and installed in his retirement place.

It was a Sony brand and came with the modular home when it got built for the theatre room

Would it be cheaper to just get a new HTIB 5.1 system, or a receiver. He doesnt want to spend to much since he is on a limited income

He just wants a basic 5.1. This one has a built in DVD player as well
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west
These dont seem to be around much anymore. But stil on the hunt for one
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1028 posts
643 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I stayed away from the prefab "Home Theater in a Box" stuff (I'll leave my opinion about these out), but if the Sub was powered and the speakers are 8 ohms, any 5.1 receiver for the last 20 years should work with it. Kijiji is your friend, you can pickup a better receiver than what that kit came with, for under $100. Just make sure all the channels work, there's no noise or humming, all levels are good in each channel.

Otherwise, I don't see any new inexpensive Home Theater receivers on the market anymore, under $350.

There are HTIB kits available on Ebay, be prepared to pay a good amount for shipping, you might be better off just pulling the trigger on a used Receiver. You could bid on something like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-STR-DA2000 ... Swqo1gFa-w

[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west
Gibsons wrote: I stayed away from the prefab "Home Theater in a Box" stuff (I'll leave my opinion about these out), but if the Sub was powered and the speakers are 8 ohms, any 5.1 receiver for the last 20 years should work with it. Kijiji is your friend, you can pickup a better receiver than what that kit came with, for under $100. Just make sure all the channels work, there's no noise or humming, all levels are good in each channel.

Otherwise, I don't see any new inexpensive Home Theater receivers on the market anymore, under $350.

There are HTIB kits available on Ebay, be prepared to pay a good amount for shipping, you might be better off just pulling the trigger on a used Receiver. You could bid on something like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sony-STR-DA2000 ... Swqo1gFa-w

Its what was included with the build. Lasted 15 years. I think I may just have to do the kijiji/Facebook Marketplace route
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Mar 2nd, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1028 posts
643 upvotes
Southern Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: Ist what was included with the build. Lasted 15 years. I think I may just have to do the kijiji/Facebook Marketplace route
Receiver like pictured is what was included with the build? I don't understand.

I have 2 amps from the 1970's. They need a cleaning every once and a while. Receivers/Amps should last a really long time if they're good quality. From your "cheap as possible" post, you will get what you pay for.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west
Gibsons wrote: Receiver like pictured is what was included with the build? I don't understand.

I have 2 amps from the 1970's. They need a cleaning every once and a while. Receivers/Amps should last a really long time if they're good quality. From your "cheap as possible" post, you will get what you pay for.
No, HTIB in a box was what was included with the build. he got what he got.

Im trying to replace what he had on the cheap because he is retired, low on money, and doesnt know anything about this stuff

What did I explain wrong? if I did I want to re-word it
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1028 posts
643 upvotes
Southern Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: No, HTIB in a box was what was included with the build. he got what he got.

Im trying to replace what he had on the cheap because he is retired, low on money, and doesnt know anything about this stuff

What did I explain wrong? if I did I want to re-word it
If it's a powered Sub and speakers are 8 ohms you can connect a 20 yr old 5.1 receiver for $40 from Kijiji to it and it'll work fine.

You can buy a whole new HTIB system on Ebay as well if you want, they're basically junk, sorry to say. I've been to friends and family's places with those setups, even those 'soundbars' they're making today, they can't replace a good Home Theater system. People cheap out and they buy junk nowadays. I wasn't going to say this, but you need to know I personally wouldn't trade a stick of Gum for these low end systems.

Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west
Gibsons wrote: If it's a powered Sub and speakers are 8 ohms you can connect a 20 yr old 5.1 receiver for $40 from Kijiji to it and it'll work fine.

You can buy a whole new HTIB system on Ebay as well if you want, they're basically junk, sorry to say. Good luck.
I havent shopped or saw an HTIB for years, so thats why I asked. My next step is to just buy a used one, and keep his old speakers, or hook up the new ones. They are all wall mounted and prewired inside the wall,

Just trying to find a quick and painless way to get him back up and running.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1028 posts
643 upvotes
Southern Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: I havent shopped or saw an HTIB for years, so thats why I asked. My next step is to just buy a used one, and keep his old speakers, or hook up the new ones. They are all wall mounted and prewired inside the wall,
I don't know what the pre-wiring looks like, if you can't hookup to something like this below with bare wire or banana plugs, he's going to have to look for what he already has.

[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west
Gibsons wrote: I don't know what the pre-wiring looks like, if you can't hookup to something like this below with bare wire or banana plugs, he's going to have to look for what he already has.

Its when the house is pre-wired for speakers, as in, wires inside the walls. All I need is a receiver with 5.1 capabiities to plug the wires he has from his speakers, into the new one. He has special ends I can cut off to bare wires.

He's a 77 year old man that just wants his surround sound back.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1028 posts
643 upvotes
Southern Ontario
WikkiWikki wrote: Its when the house is pre-wired for speakers, as in, wires inside the walls. All I need is a receiver with 5.1 capabiities to plug the wires he has from his speakers, into the new one. He has special ends I can cut off to bare wires.

He's a 77 year old man that just wants his surround sound back.
I've answered your questions about 3x already, make sure to take note of the Impedance of the 5.1 Receiver you get and the Speakers. If it's compatible, wire away. Done.

Kijiji, Facebook Sales deal, Craigslist, Ebay are your friends for a working 5.1 receiver.

My Mom is almost the same age, she bought a Soundbar and it sounds worse than the built in speakers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19351 posts
2573 upvotes
Out west
Gibsons wrote: I've answered your questions about 3x already, make sure to take note of the Impedance of the 5.1 Receiver you get and the Speakers. If it's compatible, wire away. Done.

Kijiji, Facebook Sales deal, Craigslist, Ebay are your friends for a working 5.1 receiver.

My Mom is almost the same age, she bought a Soundbar and it sounds worse than the built in speakers.
I know you have. Im not asking anymore questions, Im supplying info. I have no idea why you keep replying

Am I missing something in my sentences?