• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2017 12:24 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
402 posts
484 upvotes
Ottawa

Cheap (but decent) Brown Switch Mechanical Keyboard

I've been looking into trying out mechanical keyboards. I typed a little bit on Brown, Red and Blue at the store and I think the brown switch felt good.

I want to try out a keyboard with brown switches for an extended period of time but the prices are too high for a test run.

Is there anything decent enough with brown switches that is around the $50 mark? Wouldn't mind shelling out more for something like a filco in the long run if I like mechs but finding it hard to justify paying a lot for something I might not even like.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36399 posts
9629 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The brown is too mushy. If you like mechanical keyboards, go with Blue unless he noise bothers you.

For me, the blue still doesn't have enough feedback. But it is better than brown.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
402 posts
484 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: The brown is too mushy. If you like mechanical keyboards, go with Blue unless he noise bothers you.

For me, the blue still doesn't have enough feedback. But it is better than brown.
I loved the feel of the blue switch but I share my office space with the wife at home, and at work I have a short cubicle thing (everyone will hear me typing). Browns seemed to be a bit quiter.

I didn't like the reds all that much.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3253 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
At $50 CAD, you're only going to get Chinese MX Brown clones from Chinese off-brands from eBay/Amazon/AliExpress. Best to just search those sites by typing in "Brown switch keyboard" and looking up reviews at https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ to see if anyone has any comments.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
402 posts
484 upvotes
Ottawa
LegiT wrote: At $50 CAD, you're only going to get Chinese MX Brown clones from Chinese off-brands from eBay/Amazon/AliExpress. Best to just search those sites by typing in "Brown switch keyboard" and looking up reviews at https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ to see if anyone has any comments.
Thanks. Will ask there. Do you happen to know what's the closest of the clones?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2104 posts
1582 upvotes
Montreal
Gateron switches are quite good. I have a few keyboards with them. Kailh's newer switches (Box and Speed) have been getting some high praise.

Closest to Cherry MX Brown would probably be Gateron Brown or Kailh BOX Brown switches.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2017
402 posts
484 upvotes
Ottawa
clee290 wrote: Gateron switches are quite good. I have a few keyboards with them. Kailh's newer switches (Box and Speed) have been getting some high praise.

Closest to Cherry MX Brown would probably be Gateron Brown or Kailh BOX Brown switches.
Thanks. This is very helpful. Is there a Gateron brown in your collection that you can recommend?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2011
2104 posts
1582 upvotes
Montreal
I don't have any keyboards with Gateron Brown switches actually :P At your budget, it might be a bit hard to get keyboards with Gateron switches. You'll have to go with something like the Velocifire TKL01 or VM01. They come with either Zorro or Outemu Brown switches (they changed switches at some point).