Pets

Cheap (but tough/strong) chew toys (or DIY ideas) for dogs?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
3447 posts
1738 upvotes
Waterloo

Cheap (but tough/strong) chew toys (or DIY ideas) for dogs?

I'd like to avoid constantly needing to buy expensive dog toys when the current ones have been chewed and destroyed. My dog will just sit on the couch and chew or have us play tug of war with her.

1) Are there any strong toys that are under $5? I've bought rope toys from Dollar Tree and Dollarama and they tend to last a week or two. I don't like the toys with stuffing/squeakers as they last even less and she'll eat the stuffing.
2) For more expensive toys, are they worth the value? For example if a $2 toy last 2 weeks, then I'd want a $20 toy to last 10x as much or longer.
3) Even better, anyone have good DIY ideas? I've read some online but most seem like they'd last a day before being destroyed. I wanted to see if anyone here has personal experience with making some tough toys.
4) Lastly, just wanted to see what everyone else does. I'm going to start putting all her toys away right before bedtime. I figure this way it'll help the transition to sleeping and might also make the toys last longer if they're not being chewed during nighttime. Anyone else do this?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
We gave up on plush toys. He dearly loved one type but it would be sent to dog heaven within 1.5 MINUTES and also the rope toys (you now the ones that were made for 100 lb. dogs (our dog weighed 25 lbs. - they lasted maybe 5 minutes, on a good day 10). He knew exactly where to start chewing. The horror at the thought of him choking was very real.

We finally started buying him toys for destructive dogs made by Westpaw. There is a section devoted to strong chewers on the Westpaw website. We did not buy them from the website but from our dog's Toronto groomer.

I did speak with the people from Westpaw before asking our groomer to carry the toys - they thought at first he was a big dog - no a 25 lb. Spitz.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
In general, no, there aren’t many cheap but durable toys for heavy chewers.

We’ve found that West Paw items last quite a while. Some Chuck It! balls are quite sturdy (mind you, they’re not meant to be chew toys).

Nylabone makes items for tough chewers...my dogs aren’tsuper interested in a lot of their designs though.

Benebone’s wishbone chew is probably my heavy chewer’s favourite. And she likes the stick shaped one by Benebone too.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24956 posts
4197 upvotes
Deer antlers. Not a toy, but chewing is chewing. They will last a long time, especially if you can get a full antler, not a tiny piece like the pet stores have.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1404 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
My dog loves the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Sol Sun Ball Dog Toy, 5-inch, Orange. Not cheap though.
Amazon link
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Deer antlers. Not a toy, but chewing is chewing. They will last a long time, especially if you can get a full antler, not a tiny piece like the pet stores have.
I gave those to my dog too....until she broke two teeth on them Astonished Face
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4309 posts
1990 upvotes
Toronto
Kong rubber based last forever. Some of the ones we got for our first pup decades ago are currently being enjoyed by our 4th.
Not familiar with their fabric products.
https://www.kongcompany.com/dog/play-type/interactive/
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3293 posts
591 upvotes
amz155 wrote: I gave those to my dog too....until she broke two teeth on them Astonished Face
Yes, deer antlers can break teeth. Our vet warned us about them for our extremely aggressive chewer - fortunately we did not give him any. Although he weighed only 25 lbs. the Nylon Bone I bought him was I believe the Galileo - at any rate it was gigantic. Even then I had to watch him like a hawk.

He so loved the WestPaw stuffed Monkey toy - although it would go to its just reward after less than a minute. Sewing up the hole would do little to help because he would just start to chew in the same spot. But enough was enough. We finally gave him the WestPaw toys, but only certain ones and kept an eye on him. Fortunately he eventually decided that since he was not about to get any more stuffed Monkey toys that the whole purpose of the chew proof toys was to pick them up and drop them from the bed for us to retrieve. We were obviously well trained. Same with the heavy duty Kongs.

The only toys he did not chew were shaped like a Christmas bulb and we could put food into them - he had several. The "socket" part of the toy was perfect for his mouth and he could run around with the bulb. He was very food obsessed, to the point where he would start telling me it was time for dinner just after he had had his lunch. We were grateful that in this particular case his food obsession paid off. Our vet and groomer couldn't believe how much he lived food.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: Kong rubber based last forever. Some of the ones we got for our first pup decades ago are currently being enjoyed by our 4th.
Not familiar with their fabric products.
https://www.kongcompany.com/dog/play-type/interactive/
YMMV with these....one of my dogs saws the black Kong (the classic shape) in half a couple of times a year.
Jan 21, 2012
29 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton
Blanche123 wrote: We gave up on plush toys. He dearly loved one type but it would be sent to dog heaven within 1.5 MINUTES and also the rope toys (you now the ones that were made for 100 lb. dogs (our dog weighed 25 lbs. - they lasted maybe 5 minutes, on a good day 10). He knew exactly where to start chewing. The horror at the thought of him choking was very real.

We finally started buying him toys for destructive dogs made by Westpaw. There is a section devoted to strong chewers on the Westpaw website. We did not buy them from the website but from our dog's Toronto groomer.

I did speak with the people from Westpaw before asking our groomer to carry the toys - they thought at first he was a big dog - no a 25 lb. Spitz.
Westpaw is great, only ever had one of their toys fall apart on me. Though using their Love It Guarantee policy, I was able to exchange it.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2185 posts
92 upvotes
amz155 wrote: YMMV with these....one of my dogs saws the black Kong (the classic shape) in half a couple of times a year.
I doubt many dogs can tear apart a black kong which is their hardest rubber. Look up Goughnuts dog toys.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6371 posts
1203 upvotes
teleguitar wrote: I doubt many dogs can tear apart a black kong which is their hardest rubber. Look up Goughnuts dog toys.
I swear by West Paw. Wish I’d have used them exclusively years ago.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2185 posts
92 upvotes
amz155 wrote: I swear by West Paw. Wish I’d have used them exclusively years ago.
OH okay. Speaking of dog toys, do you know where one can buy a senior kong toy (it's purple) for a decent price? Can't find any. Just US sites and horrible prices on eBay (plus coming from China).

Anyone?