Personal Finance

Cheap Chequing Account with 20-30 debit transaction?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2016 1:25 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2012
5592 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto

Cheap Chequing Account with 20-30 debit transaction?

Any recommendations?
12 replies
Newbie
Sep 5, 2012
98 posts
26 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Tangerine? Can't be cheaper than free...
Sr. Member
Jul 28, 2012
976 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
Who do you bank with right now?
Do you need to make transactions in a branch and how often?
Are you open to dealing with a virtual (no branch) bank like Tangerine or do you need a brick-and-mortar bank (with a branch network)?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2012
5592 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
airodyssey wrote: Who do you bank with right now?
Do you need to make transactions in a branch and how often?
Are you open to dealing with a virtual (no branch) bank like Tangerine or do you need a brick-and-mortar bank (with a branch network)?
Im with scotiabank now, my free student advantage account will end next month.

Right now since its unli transactions for me, i go from 15-30 per month.

What is the advantage/disadvantage of virtual bank? how will i deposit in it? sorry dumb question.
Member
Aug 3, 2013
487 posts
286 upvotes
Durham
test9251 wrote:
airodyssey wrote: Who do you bank with right now?
Do you need to make transactions in a branch and how often?
Are you open to dealing with a virtual (no branch) bank like Tangerine or do you need a brick-and-mortar bank (with a branch network)?
Im with scotiabank now, my free student advantage account will end next month.

Right now since its unli transactions for me, i go from 15-30 per month.

What is the advantage/disadvantage of virtual bank? how will i deposit in it? sorry dumb question.
You can use a Scotiabank ABM to deposit cash or cheques in you Tangerine account.

Also, Tangerine has a convenient cheque photo deposit, and can link up to three external accounts.
Jr. Member
Sep 1, 2015
148 posts
61 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
test9251 wrote: Any recommendations?
downgrade your current bank account to lowest level, so you can get full rebate with minimum effort.
Switch most of your daily transactions to tangerine or PC.
in this case you can still go to branch if you need something urgent
Moderator
User avatar
Mar 23, 2004
39273 posts
5242 upvotes
Markham
Go with Tangerine/PCF...if you need a big 5 bank, i would recommend RBC. Their basic account only needs $500 investment (not dead money like mbm), use their CC once every 3 months (just charge $0.01 to the card every month) and u get 12 free trx per month and unlimited EFT. Def a good deal imo.
Sr. Member
Jul 28, 2012
976 posts
377 upvotes
Montreal
angel_wing0 wrote: Go with Tangerine/PCF...if you need a big 5 bank, i would recommend RBC. Their basic account only needs $500 investment (not dead money), use their CC once every 3 months (just charge $0.01 to the card every month) and u can 10-20 trx (forgot exact number) and unlimited EFT. Def a good deal imo.
12 transactions plus one more per payroll deposit. (For most people, that comes to 14 transactions per month.)
In addition, certain transactions do not count towards the limit, namely payments to your RBC credit card, RBC Royal Bank investment contributions and RBC Royal Bank loan payments.
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/de ... nking.html
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
957 upvotes
Victoria
Tangerine will probably suit your needs best
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
2016 posts
317 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Tangerine hands down. Long story short I just cancelled RBC been with them over 20 years Reason, fees and they changed my release amount to $100 (that is what new customers get anywhere else) from my $1500 no hold. in the meantime I had opened a account with Tangerine for the no fees. and within 2 months they increased my release amount from $100 to $1000. no hold. at ATM

so yeah No fees and 1000 no hold release Tangerine all the way. Plus you can make money getting friends to join, and opening a savings account. lol i sound like a commercial for them. My bad, I am just pretty satisfied and can't belive I been paying fees all these years to RBC and they do me like that.
Sr. Member
Nov 6, 2015
740 posts
339 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I personally PCF for daily banking, but I also have Tangerine.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3978 upvotes
BC
test9251 wrote: Any recommendations?
"Cheap Chequing Account with 20-30 debit transactions"

Tangerine & PCF = Cheap FREE Chequing Account with 20-30 UNLIMITED debit transactions
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)

Top