Food & Drink

Cheap eats in Richmond Hill?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2018 11:31 am
Dec 29, 2013
178 posts
105 upvotes
Setting is different, but similar food in my opinion.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Might get flamed for this, but the salad bar at Whole Foods birchmount & 7. Very extensive make your own salad bar, I think their pulled pork is fantastic for example. They also have a bunch of less healthy salad items like corn chips, good gauc. If you are careful about adding just the right amount of food and avoiding heavier stuff you can get a nice variety salad.

This way the parents can keep it healthy, with some falvour and pay by the gram. Might not be the cheapest but you also get free hassle free self refill filtered water, a nice outdoor patio and if they enjoy beer or wine (obviously throws off savings) but they are licensed. Furthermore an LCBO in the plaza and usually free samples in the cheese section if you truly want to be cheap. Also a pizza station some soups and other stuff.

I know its not quite Richmond hill, you could hit longos 7/woodbine which has a similar set up. Say all you want about whole foods that salad bar at whole foods is higher quality.

Just wanted to toss out an alternative to the Chinese Styrofoam take out.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Might get flamed for this, but the salad bar at Whole Foods birchmount & 7. Very extensive make your own salad bar, I think their pulled pork is fantastic for example. They also have a bunch of less healthy salad items like corn chips, good gauc. If you are careful about adding just the right amount of food and avoiding heavier stuff you can get a nice variety salad.

This way the parents can keep it healthy, with some falvour and pay by the gram. Might not be the cheapest but you also get free hassle free self refill filtered water, a nice outdoor patio and if they enjoy beer or wine (obviously throws off savings) but they are licensed. Furthermore an LCBO in the plaza and usually free samples in the cheese section if you truly want to be cheap. Also a pizza station some soups and other stuff.

I know its not quite Richmond hill, you could hit longos 7/woodbine which has a similar set up. Say all you want about whole foods that salad bar at whole foods is higher quality.

Just wanted to toss out an alternative to the Chinese Styrofoam take out.
What’s the price for a meal like that?
I tend to avoid whole foods because everything is overpriced. I wouldn’t be surprised if the meal was $10+ tax for a small portion
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
toronto19850 wrote: What’s the price for a meal like that?
I tend to avoid whole foods because everything is overpriced. I wouldn’t be surprised if the meal was $10+ tax for a small portion
it's done by weight at a fixed price per 100grams for the whole table. I haven't been in a while so it really depends on what you throw on. There isn't a scale so you have to use your judgement. I can usually pull something off for $10-$13 but I've had a friend hit the $17 mark.

Recently I was at bay/bloor Manulife centre and the grocery store there is $1.99 per 100gram so whole foods is maybe $2.50 or $3 if I were to guess.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
2747 posts
155 upvotes
Peterborough
yesstyle wrote: So my parents will be out of the country for a few months and I'll be relying on eating out.

Any suggestions

Get married while they're away. That'll teach 'em. But be sure to pick someone who can cook ...
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is not in R Hill but Ninki Sushi at Scotia Plaza ( i work around here) has these end of the day deals. All sushi and hot meals (fried rice, spaghetti) are 50% off. Sushi are like 8-14 dollars, hot food are 8$ regular.

Not sure what time these deals start but i went passed there yesterday around 5:10 and there were lots of choices.
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
Ducky wrote: it could be same owner opening a place under different name.... one is a tea bistro... the other is asian fusion...

same menu?
Dude, it's exactly the same menu and all. I've been to that Papa Changs in the same Golden Abalone Court plaza. Its been opened since last year.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3292 posts
988 upvotes
go over to First Markham Place, all the food court selections, especially the two bbq meat with rice/noodles, like $5.50, i get so full from it, you also get like a soup with it
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: go over to First Markham Place, all the food court selections, especially the two bbq meat with rice/noodles, like $5.50, i get so full from it, you also get like a soup with it
Yeah man. I usually get the 3 meat and I cannot finish it. avoid the char siu pork from the bbq stand on the right side tho. It's been dry the past few times that I've gone.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17374 upvotes
Markham
rogerrabbit168 wrote: go over to First Markham Place, all the food court selections, especially the two bbq meat with rice/noodles, like $5.50, i get so full from it, you also get like a soup with it
Lots of good places in FMP food court besides the BBQ place. I go to the Malaysian one for Laksa and the Japanese one for the Tonkotsu lunch ($7 including pop/miso soup)...they're located side by side in the corner. The Handmade noodle place is also good.....order the chicken leg noodle....you get a whole chicken leg cut up.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ducky wrote: it could be same owner opening a place under different name.... one is a tea bistro... the other is asian fusion...

same menu?
went today and i can confirm its the real deal. A sit in restaurant with the usual menu. Had the pop corn chicken bento for 8$
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1764 posts
832 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: a little far but thanks

my location is Bayview & 16th ave
They have a new location at 7 and west beaver creek.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Dustler6 wrote: They have a new location at 7 and west beaver creek.
yup..went last weekend

see post #51
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21166 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote: https://www.yelp.ca/biz/tai-ping-hsiang-markham-2

This is the best Taiwanese fried chicken in the GTA. No other place even comes close. Papa Chang's is cardboard compared to this place.
It is pretty good as I have been to this place many times ... the only bad part is there are not many tables to sit at during lunch time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)