Home & Garden

Cheap and effective automated lawn watering?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 11:25 am
[OP]
Sep 21, 2019
776 posts
512 upvotes

Cheap and effective automated lawn watering?

Anyone can share their cheap and effective automated lawn watering solution?

I'm thinking something like this with a timer:

It's the pass-through part that got me because I may need to daisy chain sprinklers to cover everything. I'm having trouble finding the parts in the video...

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5430 posts
873 upvotes
Make your kid go out and do it. Free.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3518 posts
1710 upvotes
Mississauga
If you plan to stay in the house long term, then a sprinkler is a good investment. Just make sure you budget in the annual maintenace costs as if your not handy diy it can get expensive.
Jan 15, 2010
557 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
He pretty much built something similar to in ground irrigation system but didn't bury it. And its movable.

You can find all the parts needed at home depot.

You will want to check your water pressure to determine how many you can string together. On my system I have 4 of those heads per zone (and I have 5 zones). Then you may want to make sure they cover the area you need as you may have to move it around to cover the entire yard. You can then connect it to your outside pipe using a timer and program it that way if needed.

Later on you can get more advanced and add multiple zones with a manifold and a controller to automate it all. And eventually you will probably just want to bury the pipes and have it setup as a permanent installation. This was the hardest part when I got mine installed because of the tree roots I had to cut through.

Having the in ground system for me was well worth it. All my watering is automated and its very little maintenance. The key is blowing out the pipes before the end of the year and just keeping an eye on it in the spring if one happens to break. You can keep spare parts around and fix if needed.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11951 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
The best place to buy the parts is irrigationdirect.ca. They are a 1/3 the price of box stores but you need to know what you want. I did local pickup in Burlington, but last I used them was at least 5 years ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)