Tags:
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
700 posts
183 upvotes
Leask

Cheap Evaporator Style Humidifier?

https://www.amresupply.com/part/H-40-LA ... HUMIDIFIER

So the house I bought came with the Lau L40 (or H40) evaporator style humidifier.

I cleaned it up and seems to be working. I do not have the wick plates for it.

Are these any good? Or should I upgrade to a newer unit and if so, which one is good and reliable?

Just hate seeing the vent duct getting cut up even more...

Also, the wick plates, they are $16 and suppose to replace them every one or two months... that’s even more expensive than furnace filters!

So need a plan going forward. Our house is a bit dry since the heating season started.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
THINKPOD wrote: https://www.amresupply.com/part/H-40-LA ... HUMIDIFIER

So the house I bought came with the Lau L40 (or H40) evaporator style humidifier.

Are these any good? Or should I upgrade to a newer unit and if so, which one is good and reliable?

Also, the wick plates, they are $16 and suppose to replace them every one or two months... that’s even more expensive than furnace filters!

So need a plan going forward. Our house is a bit dry since the heating season started.
How is it working without wick plates?!

Also Furnace filters are way more expensive than 15.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: https://www.amresupply.com/part/H-40-LA ... HUMIDIFIER

It will still work without the plates but be less efficient. Give it a try and see if you are satisfied before spending money to get something else. Btw changing plates every one to two months is insane. I'm sure if I would have a similar setup I could find something else to replace the plate and would be cheaper.

It doesn't even need to be a plate. All you want is something that will absorb water and allow air to flow though. Do all the aisles at HD and I'm sure you will find something. That's what I often do when I have an impossible problem and need to be creative. Though I prefer to do this at HD stores in America as there is so much more stuff, I believe you should be able to find something and it will be much cheaper over time.

EDIT: Using hot water to feed this humidifier instead of cold water would help in humidifying your house. I assume it is currently using cold water.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
700 posts
183 upvotes
Leask
Yes, is being feed from cold softener water.

I found a place for $15, will buy these plate and tries to clean them more often to extend the life I guess

The HD diy solution is good too. Just need a pad that sucks water and allows air
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: Yes, is being feed from cold softener water.

I found a place for $15, will buy these plate and tries to clean them more often to extend the life I guess

The HD diy solution is good too. Just need a pad that sucks water and allows air
Definitely.

Also switching to hot water instead of cold will help. I know cause I did it. Very easy to do.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
THINKPOD wrote: ..

https://www.amresupply.com/part/16848793

Generalaire 1042 is like a de facto standard unit installed by the commercial furnace guys. Just works, nothing fancy, No messing around, no fuss, low maintenance

Those plate units will never really do a decent job and cheapie drum units need a lot of maintenance
Apr 29, 2012
367 posts
343 upvotes
Hey,
I am only going by the title. You are looking for a cheap humidifier. I personally have never tried this, it was only described to me. You can try a placing a bowl of water next to your vents or get a stand and place the bowl on top of the stand (ala cooking pot style). I do not know how effective this is, the science seems fine, the moving air will distribute the moisture and the dry winter air will aid in the evaporation. Like I said I never tried this, I have concerns about knocking over the bowl but in terms of cheapness, I don't see it getting cheaper than this i.e. RFD style Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
rfduser199 wrote: Hey,
I am only going by the title. You are looking for a cheap humidifier. I personally have never tried this, it was only described to me. You can try a placing a bowl of water next to your vents or get a stand and place the bowl on top of the stand (ala cooking pot style). I do not know how effective this is, the science seems fine, the moving air will distribute the moisture and the dry winter air will aid in the evaporation. Like I said I never tried this, I have concerns about knocking over the bowl but in terms of cheapness, I don't see it getting cheaper than this i.e. RFD style Smiling Face With Open Mouth
If you happen to have a bathtub that you do not use, fill it up with water and evaporation will take place helping to humidify your house. But not enough to be used as sole humidification.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
THINKPOD wrote: Yes, is being feed from cold softener water.

I don't think hot feed water will make a difference with those plate humidifiers because they install on directly the hot air plenum where the air temp/ volume is really high (as in burn your hands hot). Regular humidifiers install on the cold plenum where the return air is room temperature.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
l69norm wrote: I don't think hot feed water will make a difference with those plate humidifiers because they install on directly the hot air plenum where the air temp/ volume is really high (as in burn your hands hot). Regular humidifiers install on the cold plenum where the return air is room temperature.
My 'regular' Lennox humidifier wb2 is installed on the hot air plenum, about a foot above the furnace. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to install it on the cold air plenum since it means the air would be humidified and then heated which would remove most or all of the humidity from the air.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
700 posts
183 upvotes
Leask
The main reason I am keeping my old Lau L40 evaporation humidifiers is so I don’t have to reinstall anything.

Interested in Generalaire! If it is as solid as claimed, it would be my next upgrade! How does the pad work for this unit? Can it be cleaned and reused?
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1677 posts
1346 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote: The main reason I am keeping my old Lau L40 evaporation humidifiers is so I don’t have to reinstall anything.

Interested in Generalaire! If it is as solid as claimed, it would be my next upgrade! How does the pad work for this unit? Can it be cleaned and reused?
The Generalaire is like the Lennox and so many other brands. The single pad is roughly 10" wide and 12" tall. Water drops thru it from small holes at the top of the pad (in the plastic housing). If the Generalaire is like the Lennox and many others, it can't be cleaned. It is replaced after a certain amount of time. Some replace it every year. I haven't replaced mine in 13 years and it still works fine for me. I usually take it out once per heating season and use a shopvac to remove dust. Usually you can buy replacement pads at stores like HD.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
TomLafinsky wrote: My 'regular' Lennox humidifier wb2 is installed on the hot air plenum, about a foot above the furnace. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to install it on the cold air plenum since it means the air would be humidified and then heated which would remove most or all of the humidity from the air.
But aren't you doing the same thing effectively? Dumping your humidified "hot" air back into the cold air plenum where it's heated again as well?

Technically, a furnace doesn't remove humidity from the air. It's got the same water content before/ after heating. It's just that hot air can hold more humidity, so the Relative Humidity % decreases vs cold air
THINKPOD wrote: The main reason I am keeping my old Lau L40 evaporation humidifiers is so I don’t have to reinstall anything.

The pad has a clay coating on the aluminium mesh so that it holds more water. The pad isn't really cleanable in the conventional sense. What happens is that there's enough excess water flowing thru the pad that it's washing any mineral deposits off into the drain (sort of self cleaning). Since you are using soft water, it should last quite a while