None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver

Cheap eye drops?

Does anyone know where to get the best deals on lubricating eye drops? I've been searching everywhere. I go through $20-30/month on this stuff. It's expensive. :(
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7919 posts
4047 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Try Costco.

Only problem is that we prefer Systane [regular version] but most stores either only carry Systane Ultra or charge high price for small bottle of regular.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4328 upvotes
Go see an eye doctor. Going through that many eye drops in a month doesn't normal at all.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6254 posts
1788 upvotes
A 3 pack of Systane Ultra goes for around $15 when Costco has it on sale. It seems to be the most recommended drop.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Go see an eye doctor. Going through that many eye drops in a month doesn't normal at all.
I've been seeing an ophthalmologist. I definitely have a dry eye problem.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: I've been seeing an ophthalmologist. I definitely have a dry eye problem.
Switch doctors maybe?
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
LostInTruth wrote: Switch doctors maybe?
I think it's just the post-effect of my PRK surgery, my eyes get incredibly dry during the spring and summer. I'm waiting until my primary ophthalmologist returns from maternity leave in August. Been seeing her for years, so i'd rather talk things over with her if i'm to take any surgical or related action with my eyes.
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: I think it's just the post-effect of my PRK surgery, my eyes get incredibly dry during the spring and summer. I'm waiting until my primary ophthalmologist returns from maternity leave in August. Been seeing her for years, so i'd rather talk things over with her if i'm to take any surgical or related action with my eyes.
Could you be having some sort of pollen allergy? Here on the east side this spring has been the worst, tons of people I know have been having allergy issues even though have never been allergic to anything before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
greenmoon wrote: Could you be having some sort of pollen allergy? Here on the east side this spring has been the worst, tons of people I know have been having allergy issues even though have never been allergic to anything before.
it could be. i'm getting dry mouth and dry nose as well. never had dry mouth. been waking up with dry mouth everyday.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
SquirreI wrote: I think it's just the post-effect of my PRK surgery, my eyes get incredibly dry during the spring and summer. I'm waiting until my primary ophthalmologist returns from maternity leave in August. Been seeing her for years, so i'd rather talk things over with her if i'm to take any surgical or related action with my eyes.
Hmm, don't really know much about PRK so can't help there.... but just wanted to say that although you've known someone for years, never be afraid to get a second opinion when it comes to your health and well being.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
OP knew before going in to surgery that there was a risk of getting chronic dry eye, right?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
977 upvotes
Niagara Falls
SquirreI wrote: it could be. i'm getting dry mouth and dry nose as well. never had dry mouth. been waking up with dry mouth everyday.
You might want to go see your family doc as dry eyes/mouth/nose is hallmark symptom for Sjorgen's Syndrome, a classic autoimmune disease...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Jun 17, 2009
291 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
My optometrist told me to use Hylo (http://candorvision.com/) for dry eye (I did not have eye surgery). It is preservative and phosphate free. This little bottle is not cheap, and is available at pharmacies at Shoppers (behind the counter) or some eye doctor clinics. It's about $44 after HST. I finished one bottle recently which I bought from the optometrist for the first time (more expensive!) and finished up in 3 months as I use mostly twice a day. Now I just started the second bottle. I have been checking other preservative free eye drops, but they all seem to have lots of ingredients that I'm not too sure if it's ok for long term use.

Note that for Hylo, once the bottle is opened, it is good for 6 months. Other eye drops with preservative should be discarded after a few months once opened, which is quite ironic.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28489 posts
14062 upvotes
I use Systane (from Costco) after getting PRK.
Works pretty well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6403 posts
782 upvotes
BC
I use Systane too, just the regular... works really well. Decently priced at Costco.
Recommended to me by my ophthalmologist. Its more of a lubricant than just a watery drop so coats your eye.
That's my 2cents worth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1463 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
Becks wrote: OP knew before going in to surgery that there was a risk of getting chronic dry eye, right?
yes i knew that. after 3 years, i can definitely say the pros heavily outweighs any cons i have now and other problems i may run into in the future.
CSK'sMom wrote: You might want to go see your family doc as dry eyes/mouth/nose is hallmark symptom for Sjorgen's Syndrome, a classic autoimmune disease...

thanks. i'll look into it. i think it may be allergies, but i've been taking reactine for two weeks and still getting the dry mouth.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
5435 posts
1978 upvotes
Ask your ophthalmologist about restasis.

http://www.drugs.com/restasis.html

It's fairly expensive so hopefully you have extended health plan.

Instructions say the dropper is one time use but there is lots leftover so I store in fridge and use it over 2-3 days.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)