• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2010 11:56 am
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
90 posts
11 upvotes
Mississasuga, ON

Cheap GTA prepaid mobile plan?

For occasional use which is a cheap mobile plan?
My last plan was with 7-11 (very cheap at $100 per year) but the bundled instrument sucked. Could hardly hear the callers.

Any advise on a cheap (below $15 a month, all inclusive) pay-as you go plan?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1708 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto
sanjeevnuts wrote: For occasional use which is a cheap mobile plan?
My last plan was with 7-11 (very cheap at $100 per year) but the bundled instrument sucked. Could hardly hear the callers.

well wind has a 15$ plan for 50 minutes and free wind to wind calling
and this month for their promo you get unlimited texting for a year
so if you text a lot this would be pretty good
Dec 31, 1969

Just buy a better handset and still use your speakout SIM card. It can either be from Speakout, Rogers, or unlocked. Search the forums (hot deals, travel, request-a-deal, etc), it's been covered many, many times before. The Nokia C3 from Best Buy seems to be a popular deal right now.
Jan 7, 2006
427 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto

Speakout from 7-11 really does fill this need best. Minutes last for 365 days so if you really don't use it much, you can get service for $25 a year (not $100) -- and any minutes left over rollover when you top up, for another year. Our family has four of these - even one to give to guests visiting from the States so they don't rack up roaming minutes.

You don't have to use their phone - you can use any GSM phone that's either unlocked or locked to Rogers (or Speakout, of course). Uses Rogers network so coverage is the same. However, their current "bottom of the line" phone, while it is very basic in terms of features, is a great little phone for call quality! Excellent reviews.

Also, if you are just starting up a new Speakout account don't forget to use a referral code from an existing Speakout customer to get a free bonus $10 airtime for you and for your referrer.

Biggest downside is that you have to go to 7-11 once a year to but more airtime (or have someone but it there for you) as there is no online top-up (yet).
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2009
1942 posts
1341 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="rrraven" post_id="11663990" time="1286556927" user_id="37490"]Also, if you are just starting up a new Speakout account don't forget to use a referral code from an existing Speakout customer to get a free bonus $10 airtime for you and for your referrer.[\QUOTE]

How to do it. Thx.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
90 posts
11 upvotes
Mississasuga, ON
rrraven wrote: However, their current "bottom of the line" phone, while it is very basic in terms of features, is a great little phone for call quality! Excellent reviews.
Thanks, Which model would that be?
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
90 posts
11 upvotes
Mississasuga, ON
redbimmer wrote: Just buy a better handset and still use your speakout SIM card. It can either be from Speakout, Rogers, or unlocked. Search the forums (hot deals, travel, request-a-deal, etc), it's been covered many, many times before. The Nokia C3 from Best Buy seems to be a popular deal right now.
I'm new at this, so please bear with me.
So I can simply buy a C3 at Bestbuy, and then walk into a 7-11 to get their sim card for the service?
[OP]
Jul 4, 2008
90 posts
11 upvotes
Mississasuga, ON
sanjeevnuts wrote: I'm new at this, so please bear with me.
So I can simply buy a C3 at Bestbuy, and then walk into a 7-11 to get their sim card for the service?
Apparently this cannot be done. You have to buy an instrument with the card. They will not even issue a new sim card for the old instrument that I already have. They wont activate/replace an expired card.

Sucks! That cost adds up to the new phone I was planning to buy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)