Tags:
[OP]
May 2, 2008
34 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

[DealExtreme.com] Cheap HDMI switch (warm?) - $15

More offers from DealExtreme.com
I came across this HDMI switch on dealextreme. Since most of us are buying LCD's this time of the year I thought I would post this. This is an intelligent HDMI switch that automatically switches between 3 different sources and has 1 output. It is also powered by HDMI.

For this price ($15) it has incredible value and its freeshipping. Keep in mind that Bestbuy is asking about $200 for a similar device.

This will be usefull for those that don't have enough HDMI ports on their LCD.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21015

Keep in mind that quality/noise for HDMI is irrelevant. So a cheap hdmi switch will perform just as good as an expensive hdmi switch. It's all 1's and 0's :)

Its dealextreme so expect to wait three weeks for the device.

Found the same one on ebay with the help of one of the posts below. According to some of the posts ebay will deliver the item faster. The link is below and its about dollar cheaper than DX.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Super-Premium-slim-m ... 1feb2#shId
40 replies
Aug 21, 2005
567 posts
24 upvotes
Burlington
The price is pretty great, I don't think Monoprice can even get you out a 3x1 for any cheaper shipped.

But... all HDMI switches are not created equal... their ability to handle the 'handshaking', for lack of a better term, of different devices does differ greatly. There are only two reviews on the site and both are positive which is a good sign, I'd read through the discussions more before buying. But for $15 I wouldn't be too disapointed if you got it home and it didn't work with all your devices.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1808 posts
381 upvotes
Winnipeg
I tried 3 different switches and none of them worked on all of my devices. For $15 it would be worth a try.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
1206 posts
399 upvotes
Thanks for $15 I will have to give it a try.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2004
1535 posts
9 upvotes
I've been having nothing but problems with DX lately - and I used to love them. My last order wouldn't show up under my account and it took over a week for them to respond (web page says 24-48hrs for a response to a ticket). It took over 3 weeks for it to be delivered and it was only a partial delivery and my order still doesn't show up under my account.
Mar 7, 2008
798 posts
63 upvotes
i find a cheap hdmi switch is never good. i bought a 5 way switch from directcanada (this one) for like 50$, and half the ports didn't work or had issues.

I say buy something with a well known brand or that you can return easily.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
100 upvotes
I have this HDMI switch from DX. It's a bargain, and it works just fine.

The only minor problem I have encountered (which may not be the fault of the switch) is that occasionally when it auto-switches to my DVD player there is picture but no sound. A quick cycle through the manual switching restores the sound. It's probably a timing issue somewhere between the DVD player, the switch and the TV.

I have had a few more problems with DX lately too. My last order was "waiting for supplier" for 4 weeks on "2-5 day" items. A pre-order enquiry was never answered. Now I've been waiting for it for 4 weeks since shipment and it hasn't arrived.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8350 posts
2008 upvotes
Toronto
I saw something like this on clearance at Canadian Tire for $10. I figured $10 is pretty cheap for an HDMI switch.. almost too cheap. I decided not to buy it... good thing I didn't because reviews on the item were horrible.

From what I've read, it's better to buy an HDMI switch with it's own power supply. The unpowered ones can behave a bit flaky, and may or may not work with your setup.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1259 posts
546 upvotes
I have this exact switch, bought it from eBay for cheaper. It actually works pretty well. Like Aske001 said, sometimes you need to manually cycle it, because of timing issues. But I think in my case the problem lies with my receiver that doesn'T play nice with my PS3.

Get it from eBay, faster shipping (DX are slacking off lately) and cheaper.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
I have this and it works perfectly, with a few caveats:

1) Don't hook a receiver/HTIB to it, as it will auto-cycle to the video output when you turn it on for audio.

2) Put some tape over the LED indicator lights.

Other than that, it's been 110% stable and right now I have BR, HD and WDTV units hooked up to it at 1080p. Switches like a dream and I've never had to use the manual buttons.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15308 posts
2519 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Thanks for posting, great price, will give this a try
Nov 26, 2003
643 posts
11 upvotes
can't confirm if this unit will behave erratically but bravia's in general tend to have communication problems with hdmi switches.
Aug 27, 2009
213 posts
4 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
TimberWolf5 wrote:
Keep in mind that quality/noise for HDMI is irrelevant. So a cheap hdmi switch will perform just as good as an expensive hdmi switch. It's all 1's and 0's :)

Its dealextreme so expect to wait three weeks for the device.
I beg to differ we had an Xtreme Mac HDMI switch (79.99) what we considered cheap 2 years ago... and we would get snow effects in our pictures through it Not very noticeable unless you were watching a dark movie... but still an annoyance

We now have a pass-through on our Denon 989 receiver and it is much better.

Cannot quote on this unit but if you look hard enough you might see some interference.
[OP]
May 2, 2008
34 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Vinman wrote: I have this and it works perfectly, with a few caveats:

1) Don't hook a receiver/HTIB to it, as it will auto-cycle to the video output when you turn it on for audio.

2) Put some tape over the LED indicator lights.

Other than that, it's been 110% stable and right now I have BR, HD and WDTV units hooked up to it at 1080p. Switches like a dream and I've never had to use the manual buttons.
Some Great advice. Will definitely cover the led's with electrical tape.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2005
2190 posts
132 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I bought one off ebay as well. The thing is very tiny, about 2" x 2" x 0.5" and weighs about 4 oz. I would say the manufacturing cost is about US$1. It works but I prefer something more solid.

$3 to $5 is a more reasonable price but there's nothing similar in the market so it's only worth it if you really need one.
Banned
Dec 12, 2005
9328 posts
804 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Great deal! Would've been HOT if it came with a remote :)
What do you need a remote for? I've never had to use the manual buttons once in all the time I've owned it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)