Art and Photography

Cheap IKEA LADDA batteries outperform expensive Eneloop Pro batteries in speedlight test

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 10:45 am
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17117 posts
9849 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Two things come to mind as I watch that video:

1. One test sample does not make a rule. The pack of Eneloops may have been defective or the Ikea ones may have been better... They really need to have a greater sample of batteries before any firm conclusion is made.
2. It's good to see that value can be had!

BTW> It's funny reading all of those Eneloop fanboys defend the Eneloop over the LADDAs in the comments.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11921 posts
1711 upvotes
Toronto
Aren't the Ikea batteries just rebadged Eneloops? How many different types of white top "made in Japan" AA batteries can there possibly be?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17117 posts
9849 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
board123 wrote: Aren't the Ikea batteries just rebadged Eneloops? How many different types of white top "made in Japan" AA batteries can there possibly be?
But that wouldn't explain the differences in performance that was on the video, the capacity difference or the difference in the rated recharge cycles.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15276 posts
6671 upvotes
Ottawa
board123 wrote: Aren't the Ikea batteries just rebadged Eneloops? How many different types of white top "made in Japan" AA batteries can there possibly be?
craftsman wrote: But that wouldn't explain the differences in performance that was on the video, the capacity difference or the difference in the rated recharge cycles.
there is only one factory in Japan that makes NIMH batteries. There are also many different generations of Eneloops

http://eneloop101.com/batteries/rewrapped-batteries/

the only problem with Ikea batteries is that you have to get them from Ikea, I hate going there, it's a zoo on the weekends and you have to walk through too much of the store.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4683 posts
2801 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:

the only problem with Ikea batteries is that you have to get them from Ikea, I hate going there, it's a zoo on the weekends and you have to walk through too much of the store.
THIS.
*shudders*

The other great thing with eneloops, I'm still on my original set from 10 years ago....haven't thrown any out!
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11921 posts
1711 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: there is only one factory in Japan that makes NIMH batteries. There are also many different generations of Eneloops

http://eneloop101.com/batteries/rewrapped-batteries/

So basically any "Made in Japan" low self-discharge NiMH is more or less the same regardless of brand.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14505 posts
8412 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Good value, when I do a wedding, I bring around 25 ikea HR6 AA’s. I marker each one with a date of purchase.