Cheap Place to live/Hostels in Chicago

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2009 3:24 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
288 posts
6 upvotes

Cheap Place to live/Hostels in Chicago

I will be staying in Chicago on a personal/work trip for 10 nights and I am looking for the cheapest place to stay ie hostel. Anyone ever stay in a hostel in Chicago? Cleanliness is my main concern!

Thanks
2 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12035 posts
2186 upvotes
Mississauga
I stayed at the HI-Chicago hostel a few months ago. It's right downtown in the SE end of The Loop. My room had four bunk beds in a large, airy, relatively clean room with A/C. The El-train rumbles past regularly so it may be a problem if you're a light sleeper (it didn't bother me). The bathroom is in the room and is "split" into three parts (shower and toilet in separate rooms and sinks in a third area) to minimize waiting time. Basic breakfast (cereal, muffins, juice) is included in the price and there's a large common room with pool tables, wifi, etc. Good idea to get an HI membership at MEC since you'll be staying there for a while.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
26 upvotes
Although I've never stayed in the one in Chicago, HI hostels frequently have good cleanliness standards.

And according to their website hostelworld.com has awarded them the best large hostel award in the world for 2006 and 2007.

So it might meet your needs. You can see reviews at www.hostelworld.com , www.hostels.com , www.tripadvisor.com and many other sites.