Cell Phones

cheap and reliable data/phone plan for parents?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 11:16 am
[OP]
Jul 5, 2015
99 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON

cheap and reliable data/phone plan for parents?

Hi, hope all's having a great day. I understand 'cheap' and 'reliable' typically don't go together but wanted to hear if anyone has suggestions.

It's for my mom and I wanted to get her a phone plan (she already has a phone she uses at home) so that she can do internet searching and receive/send calls. Basically a decent data phone plan for light users. I've only been using rogers so I don't know too much about other carriers/plans availalble for these situations. any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7439 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto, ON
uwengdori wrote: Hi, hope all's having a great day. I understand 'cheap' and 'reliable' typically don't go together but wanted to hear if anyone has suggestions.

It's for my mom and I wanted to get her a phone plan (she already has a phone she uses at home) so that she can do internet searching and receive/send calls. Basically a decent data phone plan for light users. I've only been using rogers so I don't know too much about other carriers/plans availalble for these situations. any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Look at the 1-2GB plans from the Luckys and Public Mobiles of the world?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19993 posts
9414 upvotes
Oakville
$25 will get you 1gb (with autopay) and unlimited calls/texts with Lucky Mobile. If you need/want a bit more data than that, Zoomer (owned by Rogers) has a 4gb BYOP plan for $36 bucks, details here: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/promotion ... offer-2020. They've also got bill credits plus free phones if she needs a phone and you're willing to sign her up for a 2 year contract, the same plan is available on that too: https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/promotion_offer/may-2021
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1143 posts
362 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
Public Mobile - I get 1GB data, unlimited talk/text Canada about $25/mo. Current plans might vary from what I have. Automatic bill payment, strictly online account setup and customer service, are possible drawback for some users.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19993 posts
9414 upvotes
Oakville
adams7 wrote: Public Mobile - I get 1GB data, unlimited talk/text Canada about $25/mo. Current plans might vary from what I have. Automatic bill payment, strictly online account setup and customer service, are possible drawback for some users.
I used to love Public mobile, but IMO Lucky is better value now if you're not getting discounts from referrals/community activity. Same cost for the same plan, but also has call in customer service and unlimited low speed data after you use up your 1gb of data.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7439 posts
882 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wearysky wrote: I used to love Public mobile, but IMO Lucky is better value now if you're not getting discounts from referrals/community activity. Same cost for the same plan, but also has call in customer service and unlimited low speed data after you use up your 1gb of data.
... and Lucky will (easily) give you a 416 number, for those interested in those things.