Green / Eco-Friendly

Cheap solar panels/batteries suppliers in Canada (for DIY)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2022 12:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3012 posts
2324 upvotes

Cheap solar panels/batteries suppliers in Canada (for DIY)

I know there is already a discussion about the solar, but I thought we can create a separate thread for those want to go the DIY route.

The rebate terms state that the panels must be purchased from Canada, so if anyone has any suggestions and quotes they have received, please post them here.

The rebate also provided $1000 for batteries, so you could post prices for this too.

I am considering DIYing it, but only if cost is minimal

Thanks for sharing
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
10 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3012 posts
2324 upvotes
These guys seem to sell kits close to rebate cost:

https://sunwatts.com/5-kw-solar-kits/
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12756 posts
7425 upvotes
Brampton
I'm confused by the wording in the program or maybe someone can clarify but it states in addition to having source Canadian distributed(not made) panels that it has to be installed by a licensed professional and has to provide a receipt. The only exception was thermostat.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6325 posts
1913 upvotes
The kits are an interesting point of comparison. Taking the base Trina 410 panels, the price increase between different inverters is quite high.
SMA inverter: $5800
Solaredge HD: $7600
Enphase: $7700
Generac: $9300
Sol-Ark: $12,850
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7963 posts
3804 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Some dude in my municipality who has over 140 panels installed swears by this outfit

https://dnmsolar.com/index.php

Owner is an electrical engineer so he can authoritatively and competently answer yours (and your electrician's) questions.

I looked up the site and looks like he is a sales partner now
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8950 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto
djredhat wrote: I know there is already a discussion about the solar, but I thought we can create a separate thread for those want to go the DIY route.

The rebate terms state that the panels must be purchased from Canada, so if anyone has any suggestions and quotes they have received, please post them here.

The rebate also provided $1000 for batteries, so you could post prices for this too.

Thanks for sharing
So the way I figure it is that you need to get a design signed off by somebody accredited, then you buy and install the equipment yourself, then, you get somebody to sign off on that.
Oct 1, 2009
628 posts
294 upvotes
West coast
There might be some permitting issues that will need to be addressed. Government wants their cut.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8950 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto
doradxplorer wrote: There might be some permitting issues that will need to be addressed. Government wants their cut.
Permits are about what can be done and not by whom. In other words, as the owner I get a permit to do something. I don't need to say who does it. After the work is done, the inspector may look for, say, an electricians tag to show the work was done to code. If it's there and the inspector's visual inspection is positive, then all good.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4831 posts
1722 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
djredhat wrote: I know there is already a discussion about the solar, but I thought we can create a separate thread for those want to go the DIY route.

Thanks for sharing
For the Greener Homes Retrofit Grant program?

All mechanical and electrical systems, with the exception of thermostats, must be installed by a licensed and trained professional. In order to be reimbursed for these retrofits, it is highly recommended that you obtain proof of their qualifications to install equipment (sometimes issued by your province or territory), which you can submit when applying for reimbursement. We recommend you get this documentation before moving ahead with your retrofits. In addition, some retrofits require that you choose an eligible product from the list to install in your home in order to be eligible for reimbursement.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficien ... fits/23480
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8950 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto
fergy wrote: For the Greener Homes Retrofit Grant program?

All mechanical and electrical systems, with the exception of thermostats, must be installed by a licensed and trained professional. In order to be reimbursed for these retrofits, it is highly recommended that you obtain proof of their qualifications to install equipment (sometimes issued by your province or territory), which you can submit when applying for reimbursement. We recommend you get this documentation before moving ahead with your retrofits. In addition, some retrofits require that you choose an eligible product from the list to install in your home in order to be eligible for reimbursement.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficien ... fits/23480
In practice, what this means is that the work is signed off by a "licensed and trained professional". It doesn't mean that the same guy does all the work. Look at any construction site, for example. There are dozens of guys doing electrical installations and maybe one master electrician supervising them. Same with plumbing and other licensed trades. I know somebody (???) who does his own work and gets it signed off by licenced pros (who do actually look at what was done and make sure it's to code).
Nov 14, 2012
654 posts
492 upvotes
Cheap DIY off-grid system to run lights and chargers.

200W Renogy panels $216+tax. According to PVWatts this should generate 250kWh/yr or 1.25kWh / installed Watt.

20ft 10 AWG wires $37 + tax.

Renogy Rover 30A MPPT. $125+tax

10yrs old Powersafe SBS190F deep cycle AGM 12V/190Ah from Kijiji for $200 no tax. Still has over 90% capacity, used in backup system, hardly ever cycled. Owner has more and will sell for $175 if buying 3 or more.

1000W inverter that really works only up to 300W. $91+tax. Wont link it because it is POS.

Total cost after tax $730.

I figure return this bad inverter, add another ~$100 to get a better get one so I can power up microwave or circular saw. Any suggestions? How are Energizer inverters? But I would prefer to go 24V on next upgrade. Also will need secondary 220VAC inverter to run at least well pump so I dont need to turn on generator every time I need water pressure.

Also have energy monitors for battery and AC side, plus BT-1 module for controller add another $100, but those components are not needed for functionality, just to satisfy my measuring obsession.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)