• Feb 18th, 2018 8:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15371 posts
3700 upvotes
Toronto

Cheap ways to phone toronto from the US and Caribbean Islands

I am heading on a trip and would like to phone home daily. In the past, I have used Google Phone and that works but the quality can be hit/miss. Alternatively, I can enable roaming on my Telus phone for $10 a day and use my phone plan.

Is there an option that offers better call quality but is less than $10 a day?

I will be visiting the following places: Miami, Florida | Labadee, Haiti | Oranjestad, Aruba | Willemstad, Curacao | Kralendijk, Bonaire
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
5 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14448 posts
12324 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Your cheapest option will be VoIP.

Google Voice/Hangouts is free Canada/US calling when physically in North America, so you might have to use a VPN (and Google will likely still outsmart your VPN).

Try Freetone (no hack), free outbound Canada/US calling. MagicApp from MagicJack will do the same. Either can work on wifi or cell data. Get a local sim for data and call out through an app.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1839 upvotes
Use Whatsapp or Tango and connect to Wifi.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14448 posts
12324 upvotes
Going to the Moon
AV-Fishing wrote: Use Whatsapp or Tango and connect to Wifi.
Those are good for peer to peer calling. If you have to call toll-free numbers (banks, telco's, etc.) then you're likely out to lunch on WhatsApp or Tango.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7441 posts
782 upvotes
Toronto
Are you paying for WiFi on the cruise ship?