• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2019 1:56 pm
[OP]
Apr 7, 2019
875 posts
997 upvotes

Cheap winter tires recommendation for lightly used car and just for this winter

Hello All,

I was about to pull trigger on Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 from Costco at $655.96 ( for 4 tires) minus $70 ecash and then realized opportunity to save some money if I go for cheaper winter tires. Please advise on cheap/affordable winter tires based on following information:

I live in downtown Mississauga. Work from home. Car is used only for day care drop off/pickup, groceries and weekend travel to friends in other parts of Mississauga.

Need tires only for this winter. Planning to sell my Honda Civic early next year and upgrade to CRV.

Not interested in buying used tires.

Thanks in advance
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5751 posts
2298 upvotes
Debtario
TomF62003 wrote:
use present tires and pray
Honestly, this is your best bet. Plenty of people have been using all seasons in the winter for decades, the key is to drive carefully and not do anything crazy like making sharp turns at speed, hard stops, or trying to go over very deep snow. Better yet avoid driving during storms, that's what my mom did and never had an issue apart from being honked at and aggressively passed (with one guy skidding out after passing her LOL).

Not sure on the wheel sizes but if the civic and CRV use same bolt patterns and wheel sizes you could use new tires on the future CR-V, but I wouldn't bother based on your usage.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1337 posts
834 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone in your position that will be getting rid of their car would opt to buy used tires or just use their current tires and drive carefully and avoid winter storms.
Jul 20, 2009
132 posts
61 upvotes
Get the General Altimax Arctic 12. Buy them from either Simply Tire or blackcircles.ca
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5456 posts
2988 upvotes
Toronto
Is it worth the risk of an accident with your kid to and from daycare?

If you are really going to cheap out, buy some cheapest winter tires and run it all year until you buy crv. Cheap winter tires are better then any all season in snow.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26627 posts
3545 upvotes
Montreal
Go to a tire shop like OK tire and.see if they have a used set in your size.

I did that for our old car last January when one of the winters blew out, and I knew I was selling it in the summer.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11846 posts
2276 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy used with rims. Plenty of ppl have gotten rid of their cars and have changed it to a CUV like you plan on doing, and have their winters left over. Often in good condition with little or no market for it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13891 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Take public transportation.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6112 posts
2452 upvotes
West GTEH!
For a low cost winter tire, any of the Chinese Brand winter tires, i.e. Sailun.
😎