Travel

Cheaper car rental in Florida to book on UK websites than US websites?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2013 8:56 am
Jul 4, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga

Cheaper car rental in Florida to book on UK websites than US websites?

I was shopping around to book a 6 day car rental in Orlando during march break and found the rates are around $40-$50/day (compact/economy cars) plus insurance plus tax and etc. The websites I used were rentalcars.com and priceline.com. However, after some google I found it much cheaper to book through UK sites, such as economybookings.com or carrentalscout.com, they offer ~$30/day all included...one even offered CDW and $0 deductibles at the same price range. Does anyone know if there is any catch or anything I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18176 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond
:arrow:

Moved from "Hot Deals" to "Travel"
Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies - The FA Women's Cup Winners 2013 :)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
Read the fine print and I think you will usually find that you must be a UK resident and proof will be asked for when pick up the vehicle.
Jul 4, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
webworm wrote: Read the fine print and I think you will usually find that you must be a UK resident and proof will be asked for when pick up the vehicle.
Thanks for the advice. I did read some of the fine prints and found most of them do state non-US or Canada driver's license required. However I didn't find such things on SixT so I booked a 6-day rental through them for $190 all inclusive. I'll keep on searching and see what'll happen.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1298 posts
246 upvotes
Stouffville
I'm wondering about the same thing...I'm going down to Miami Feb 17 to 19 and their prices are SOOOO much cheaper...

I'm getting like $300 for a mustang but with the website I'm getting like $160...
May 24, 2012
9 posts
Milton
I have noticed Sixt is super cheap - what's the deal with them? Do they deliver on what you reserve? Anyone had to experience with them?
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1298 posts
246 upvotes
Stouffville
jwieclawski wrote: I have noticed Sixt is super cheap - what's the deal with them? Do they deliver on what you reserve? Anyone had to experience with them?
Mixed reviews like anyother car rental companies...but their prices are NICE...

I might end up booking with them for Feb 17 to 19
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Did you check Costco.com? A full week's rental is usually a better deal than a partial week. Also, don't expect great deals if you leave it til the last minute. If it isn't during a peak season, those bidding sites might be the way to go. Also do some research on the various codes that can be used either directly with the individual car rental agencies or through Costco...that will bring your total down considerably.

I always refuse the extra add-ons, which can more than double the price of the rental...just make sure you have liability coverage through your home auto pack, and use a credit card that gives you coverage for damages.
Jul 4, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
HungJai wrote: Mixed reviews like anyother car rental companies...but their prices are NICE...

I might end up booking with them for Feb 17 to 19
Glad to know you found the same. Please share your experience if you end up with their rental. TIA.
Jul 4, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
Mars2012 wrote: Did you check Costco.com? A full week's rental is usually a better deal than a partial week. Also, don't expect great deals if you leave it til the last minute. If it isn't during a peak season, those bidding sites might be the way to go. Also do some research on the various codes that can be used either directly with the individual car rental agencies or through Costco...that will bring your total down considerably.

I always refuse the extra add-ons, which can more than double the price of the rental...just make sure you have liability coverage through your home auto pack, and use a credit card that gives you coverage for damages.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know Costco.com does travel bookings. However, I did a quick search and it turns out to be no sweeter than other US sites. But again, thanks!
Jul 4, 2008
20 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
pipidog wrote: Thanks for the advice. I did read some of the fine prints and found most of them do state non-US or Canada driver's license required. However I didn't find such things on SixT so I booked a 6-day rental through them for $190 all inclusive. I'll keep on searching and see what'll happen.
Found another UK website: carrentals.co.uk and got a rate of $147 for the same 6 day rental in Orlando airport, bookable through erentals.co.uk. You need to pay upfront but for $13 extra you can have cancellation fee waiver. Here is the interesting part, the website did ask my country of residence, which I entered Canada, and it still directed me through to final payment. I took some time to read the fine prints (see below), which clearly states the US/Canada residents do not get CDW coverage, but anyway, none of the US rental company does it for free anyway. Since my own auto insurance policy does have coverage on non-owned auto (which I assume refers to a car rental), I think this is probably the deal I should take!

The Rate Includes

For US/Canada residents - items marked ‡ are excluded.
Unlimited Mileage
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) ‡
Theft Protection (TP) ‡
VAT/TAX
Airport Surcharge
PLS (Premium Location Surcharge)
24hrs Roadside Assistance
VLF (vehicle license fee)
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
pipidog wrote: I was shopping around to book a 6 day car rental in Orlando during march break and found the rates are around $40-$50/day (compact/economy cars) plus insurance plus tax and etc. The websites I used were rentalcars.com and priceline.com. However, after some google I found it much cheaper to book through UK sites, such as economybookings.com or carrentalscout.com, they offer ~$30/day all included...one even offered CDW and $0 deductibles at the same price range. Does anyone know if there is any catch or anything I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
All the UK/Europe places to book car hire in the states are not valid if you have a north american license from my experience
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
pipidog wrote: Thanks for the advice. I did read some of the fine prints and found most of them do state non-US or Canada driver's license required. However I didn't find such things on SixT so I booked a 6-day rental through them for $190 all inclusive. I'll keep on searching and see what'll happen.
Email them to make sure. I forgot what site I looked at before but when I emailed toake sure they said no Canadian license
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1298 posts
246 upvotes
Stouffville
gilboman wrote: All the UK/Europe places to book car hire in the states are not valid if you have a north american license from my experience
I talked to one of their agent online and all I needed was just the voucher, driver license and CC... I told them I was a Canadian and they did not mention anything.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3983 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
Not really comparable since I didn't need to show ID, but I noticed the same with Eurostar rail prices. Booking from different countries made a big difference some times.

OP, YMMV but you should also try AutoSlash.com I used it this past December and it beat all other quotes by a significant amount. I didn't trust it so I kept searching for cheaper rates for 2 months and couldn't get anything better. I couldn't even match the AutoSlash price on Priceline.com.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1298 posts
246 upvotes
Stouffville
Just got another email from another company and some does have the the restriction
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1298 posts
246 upvotes
Stouffville
Ok...I ended up using economybooking (I had to call them) there were some companies with restriction but if you call them they will find you one without.

Overall good expereince and great price for the car

*Note* It's a bit more $ if you call vs the online website (I'm assuming cuz they make more $ on canadian bookings)