Computers & Electronics

Cheapest 4K60 Low Profile PCI-E Graphics Cards?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2019 8:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes

Cheapest 4K60 Low Profile PCI-E Graphics Cards?

Hi Folks,

Any thoughts?

I'll also consider 4K30 if they're very cheap.

Thank you.
14 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
16725 posts
3082 upvotes
Toronto
The 1030 is a good card but doesn't perform well if you want to use madVR to upscale non-4k content.

A used 1050 Ti would be a good choice. This is the card I use in my htpc and it's great.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
@audit13

I agree, for an HTPC, the 1050TI is an excellent choice... I believe I've said as much in the past year.

This is strictly a 4K60 productivity computer for an employee, and all I have room for is a low profile graphics card...

... this seems to be the best option.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4735 upvotes
Toronto
1030 does not support Netflix 4K DRM. It would be fine for business applications, etc. though.

Where to get 1050 low profile that is single slot and low power? I couldn’t find one. My desktop only has space for a single slot card, and its power supply is a slim model that is only 220 Watts.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
EugW wrote: 1030 does not support Netflix 4K DRM. It would be fine for business applications, etc. though.

Where to get 1050 low profile that is single slot and low power? I couldn’t find one. My desktop only has space for a single slot card, and its power supply is a slim model that is only 220 Watts.
The GT 1030 is the most powerful low profile graphics card I've come across in the mainstream. Thus my choice.

Maybe the GTX 1650 will get a low profile variant, time will tell.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4735 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: The GT 1030 is the most powerful low profile graphics card I've come across in the mainstream. Thus my choice.

Maybe the GTX 1650 will get a low profile variant, time will tell.
Arrggh. It seems that idle power of 1650 is same as 1050, and load power of 1650 is higher than 1050. So, we won't be seeing a low profile single-slot low power 1650 either.

What we really need is a direct replacement for 1030 but with Netflix 4K DRM support. The wait continues...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
EugW wrote: Arrggh. It seems that idle power of 1650 is same as 1050, and load power of 1650 is higher than 1050. So, we won't be seeing a low profile single-slot low power 1650 either.

What we really need is a direct replacement for 1030 but with Netflix 4K DRM support. The wait continues...
They decided to hoop the low-profile HTPC and business productivity folks. They know the latter normally go pre-built through a large builder anyways.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4735 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: They decided to hoop the low-profile HTPC and business productivity folks. They know the latter normally go pre-built through a large builder anyways.
I'm the latter, but just want some better monitor and video DRM support. And yeah, maybe I'll just get a Core i3 USB-C system next instead of trying to continue upgrading my old slim desktop. Even a Core i3-9100T would be about 50% faster than my current work desktop and would run a lot cooler, in a much smaller form factor too. A Core i5 system would totally blow it away.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
EugW wrote: I'm the latter, but just want some better monitor and video DRM support. And yeah, maybe I'll just get a Core i3 USB-C system next instead of trying to continue upgrading my old slim desktop. Even a Core i3-9100T would be about 50% faster than my current work desktop and would run a lot cooler, in a much smaller form factor too. A Core i5 system would totally blow it away.
Try Bauer Systems in Burlington. They also ship.

SFF machines accept low profile cards.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: GT 1030.

Bought @ $96.

Change my mind.
I managed to snag a used GT 1030 for $69. Pretty happy.

Seems like people don't care much about this card, because that's a serious cut off current list.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18339 posts
4735 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Confirmed 4K60 @ 4:4:4. Happy camper.
8-bit I assume? That shouldn't be a problem.

10-bit 4K60 4:4:4 would be a problem though.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
EugW wrote: 8-bit I assume? That shouldn't be a problem.

10-bit 4K60 4:4:4 would be a problem though.
8 bit. But again, it's for productivity.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
15978 posts
17390 upvotes
@EugW

I'm keeping both GT 1030 cards, as I have another workstation that needs it.

Now I'm looking for a mini bracket for the second card so it will fit in a SFF HP desktop. Never thought it would take this long.

Alternatively, I could cut the other bracket and MacGyver it in. Options...

Top