Computers & Electronics

Cheapest 6M DSL service in Ontario?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2020 1:39 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5318 posts
1984 upvotes
Debtario

Cheapest 6M DSL service in Ontario?

Unfortunately I live in an area where the best I can get is 6Mbit DSL. What's the cheapest I can get? I've looked around and it seems prices have gone up for ebox and TSI since a few years ago, I'm not a super heavy user (<100GB/month) so unlimited is not important, neither is speed since I've been stuck to dial-up here for the most part. RFD helped me find a dirt cheap dialup-ISP (295.ca), hope someone knows of a DSL provider or package that can do 6M cheap too. I'd prefer to stick to DSL since rogers is very unreliable in my area and I don't have a cable drop connected to my house (want to avoid extra $$$ installation fees)

Right now I'm on the 6 months for $1 promo from worldline, but that will be expiring in a month and then the normal price will be $50(!). The lowest I could find was DSL lite from TSI for $31/month, or cable 5 for $25. Still feels like a rip off since other areas get much higher speeds for a little more.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
5 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14756 posts
2741 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
M1K3Z0R wrote: Unfortunately I live in an area where the best I can get is 6Mbit DSL. What's the cheapest I can get? I've looked around and it seems prices have gone up for ebox and TSI since a few years ago, I'm not a super heavy user (<100GB/month) so unlimited is not important, neither is speed since I've been stuck to dial-up here for the most part. RFD helped me find a dirt cheap dialup-ISP (295.ca), hope someone knows of a DSL provider or package that can do 6M cheap too. I'd prefer to stick to DSL since rogers is very unreliable in my area and I don't have a cable drop connected to my house (want to avoid extra $$$ installation fees)

Right now I'm on the 6 months for $1 promo from worldline, but that will be expiring in a month and then the normal price will be $50(!). The lowest I could find was DSL lite from TSI for $31/month, or cable 5 for $25. Still feels like a rip off since other areas get much higher speeds for a little more.
You get what you pay for. Why aren't you sticking with worldline?

Or sign up for rogers on month to month basis, get them to install the cabling and then transfer over to an independent.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5318 posts
1984 upvotes
Debtario
weedb0y wrote: You get what you pay for. Why aren't you sticking with worldline?

Or sign up for rogers on month to month basis, get them to install the cabling and then transfer over to an independent.
6Mbit for $50+ tax per month is terrible value, and this is RFD after all - why pay more than needed?

It seems Fido's 75M internet might be the best value for me, and they should install the line as part of the installation. I'm thinking of giving that a shot to test out if the cable is as bad as some of my neighbours say it is.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14756 posts
2741 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
M1K3Z0R wrote: 6Mbit for $50+ tax per month is terrible value, and this is RFD after all - why pay more than needed?

It seems Fido's 75M internet might be the best value for me, and they should install the line as part of the installation. I'm thinking of giving that a shot to test out if the cable is as bad as some of my neighbours say it is.
Cable network has vastly improved over the years, all thanks to Bell actually doing a kick-ass job at their fibre network.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5318 posts
1984 upvotes
Debtario
weedb0y wrote: Cable network has vastly improved over the years, all thanks to Bell actually doing a kick-ass job at their fibre network.
I hope so! Bell may have improved their network, everywhere except my area. TSI actually used to advertise up to 15M available here, then for the longest time only had cable available, then 7M, and now only 6M. Techs consistently said my areas is terrible, back over a decade and a half ago when 5M was advertised here the speeds were garbage, 1M and tech said maybe I could get 3 under ideal conditions.

Rogers has faster speeds here, though their infrastructure is pole-mounted and has been known to be flaky in the past. Rogers trucks were a common sight around here until maybe 2 years ago, neighbours used to go around asking if our cable was working, to which I'd say IDK I don't have cable.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5318 posts
1984 upvotes
Debtario
Anybody?
Seems TSI is indeed my best option, other providers don't even offer DSL in my area.

I'll try contacting worldline and see if they can offer me a better rate than 6M for $50/month, they did afford to offer 6 months of a dollar after all....
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Top