Travel

cheapest airport car rental in US you could find now from decent rental companies

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 12:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3325 posts
974 upvotes
Mars

cheapest airport car rental in US you could find now from decent rental companies

by "decent" i mean avis/hertz/alamo/national/enterprise

preferably with direct flight from YYZ

tried couple of not-so-hot destinations, found Nashville, TN (BNA), 30 days, quoting me C$1205 for 30-day rental. not too bad?
19 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14618 posts
8885 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote: You are choosing your destination based on the price of the available rental car?
i was going to ask the same thing
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2004
1249 posts
442 upvotes
Swerny wrote: i was going to ask the same thing
Looks like OP is trying to skirt the non-essential land crossing restriction by flying into "any" airport and renting a car for a month to drive to their true destination.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3325 posts
974 upvotes
Mars
Kiraly wrote: You are choosing your destination based on the price of the available rental car?
yeap.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3325 posts
974 upvotes
Mars
Password wrote: Looks like OP is trying to skirt the non-essential land crossing restriction by flying into "any" airport and renting a car for a month to drive to their true destination.
i'm also thinking about europe. but seems more hassles, riskier, and by the time the weather in most part of europe is not favourable.
Oct 22, 2016
746 posts
652 upvotes
Comox Valley
I think OP has a good idea. If you have the time, and rental rates are favorable, do it.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1259 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
you may not be able to cross borders with airport rentals
Aug 19, 2015
65 posts
67 upvotes
Ajax, ON
We booked Alamo in Orlando 1 month ago. Flawless !! They have skip the counter option
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
pilmania wrote: you may not be able to cross borders with airport rentals
I think the OP is doing a domestic usa road trip and wants to see where he can get the lowest monthly rental. Probably then compare that to airfare (possibly using points where the airport may matter little)

I have to say it’s a bit unusual but a great idea assuming you don’t decide on some boring flyover state.

Good luck OP
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1259 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: I think the OP is doing a domestic usa road trip and wants to see where he can get the lowest monthly rental. Probably then compare that to airfare (possibly using points where the airport may matter little)

I have to say it’s a bit unusual but a great idea assuming you don’t decide on some boring flyover state.

Good luck OP
yeah, i meant state borders, not us/can border. a friend of mine had a plan to rent a car out of vegas airport to travel across the us but the car rental company wouldnt allow him to drive outside the state of nevada so he had to cancel the booking and had to find one he can take outside of nevada.. at much higher rate and also, none of the rental companies in the airport allowed that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9114 posts
2081 upvotes
Vancouver
pilmania wrote: yeah, i meant state borders, not us/can border. a friend of mine had a plan to rent a car out of vegas airport to travel across the us but the car rental company wouldnt allow him to drive outside the state of nevada so he had to cancel the booking and had to find one he can take outside of nevada.. at much higher rate and also, none of the rental companies in the airport allowed that.
Can anyone else confirm this? Would surprise me unless it was a one way rental which I can understand might not be easy for rental companies
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3325 posts
974 upvotes
Mars
pilmania wrote: yeah, i meant state borders, not us/can border. a friend of mine had a plan to rent a car out of vegas airport to travel across the us but the car rental company wouldnt allow him to drive outside the state of nevada so he had to cancel the booking and had to find one he can take outside of nevada.. at much higher rate and also, none of the rental companies in the airport allowed that.
thanks. good to know. i don't get the logic of the rental company though.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17761 posts
15216 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
GangStarr wrote: Can anyone else confirm this? Would surprise me unless it was a one way rental which I can understand might not be easy for rental companies
Ya … sounds like a one way rental & drop

Not unusual … some rental companies hate drops …that don’t bring the car back to them

Curious what the OP has in mind … is his intention to do a 30 Day loop returning to the same airport he flew into

Or would he prefer a cross country road trip.

Me, I much prefer cross country trips if I am going that long … like I-10

Would love to do that coast to coast … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_10
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12118 posts
15182 upvotes
Vancouver
GangStarr wrote: Can anyone else confirm this? Would surprise me unless it was a one way rental which I can understand might not be easy for rental companies
The last time I rented a car in California, it was limited to use in California and Nevada only. This isn't all that uncommon. So I second my suggestion of Alaska; so much to see without having to cross any state borders!
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16045 posts
4635 upvotes
Scarberia
ot: i plan to goto vegas in jan 2022, is it cheaper to book car rental for vegas airport location NOW or wait till january? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7004 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
mikka2017 wrote: ot: i plan to goto vegas in jan 2022, is it cheaper to book car rental for vegas airport location NOW or wait till january? tia
Can always book now and then check in Dec or Jan
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Jun 17, 2015
2 posts
Try using autoslash.com, you can also use them to put in any reservation to watch for better deals as well.