Cheapest AWD vehicles

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 2:11 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7125 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Jeep Renegade would likely be the cheapest as the dealers probably discount it decently as opposed to the Impreza.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1493 posts
589 upvotes
Impreza if you want real AWD from a reputable company, and not wannabe AWD.

Watch this video to see what I am on about, it tests the Crosstrek, which is a jacked version of Impreza, but all have the same technology.

Last edited by eblend on Jan 10th, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 2, 2017
660 posts
441 upvotes
new subaru crosstrek is 24k. brand new with AWD on the base model. Jeep renegade doesn't do that and it's more expensive and has lower rating.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41713 posts
5326 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Brian99 wrote: Nobody needs AWD. You do need snow tires though.
No one needs... but want. My previous car was a 2001 lexus is300 lowered with rwd and snow tires. Perfectly ok (usually terrible) in the winter. I never spun out. But you get stuck in parking spots and drive ways. I live in toronto center where parking is off narrow laneways.

I have to say... having an awd car is spectacular! I know how they work... its just amazing being able to plow through any situation.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
14808 posts
1775 upvotes
Out west
UrbanPoet wrote: No one needs... but want. My previous car was a 2001 lexus is300 lowered with rwd and snow tires. Perfectly ok (usually terrible) in the winter. I never spun out. But you get stuck in parking spots and drive ways. I live in toronto center where parking is off narrow laneways.

I have to say... having an awd car is spectacular! I know how they work... its just amazing being able to plow through any situation.
Wrong, some people NEED AWD, and 4WD
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2016
14808 posts
1775 upvotes
Out west
UrbanPoet wrote: Sorta not really. I would only consider it an absolute need if youre in an area that doesnt get any snow service... like unmaintained rural roads.
What about for towing a trailer in the winter, and need that grip for going up a hill, or even getting out of a driveway.

What you mentioned, which can also be said for highways, back alleys, etc.

People that dont live in the city or smaller towns

Peoples whos activities consist of more than just hanging around in the city

Shall I go on? Sorta not really has changed to alot of people need this now
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8613 posts
1068 upvotes
Montreal, QC
AWD is a great technology, but it's marketed terribly in terms of the benefits it brings. It helps you go, not stop, which arguably is one of the biggest misconceptions people have. And it's certainly NOT a replacement for proper seasonally-appropriate tires.

If it has to be NEW, I think the Honda and Mitsubishi AWDs are decent enough (provided you have good tires).
Sep 21, 2004
10087 posts
4133 upvotes
Calgary
hulk007 wrote: I think the base Impreza may be my only choice.
It is the best choice by far if AWD & New & affordable is the top 3 criteria.

The car feels much nicer after the 2017 refresh.
Feb 8, 2009
75 posts
17 upvotes
I have a Subaru Impreza Touring which is 1 trim level above the base model. It’s a 2012 model that I bought used last summer with 67,000 km for $9,000. It’s my first AWD vehicle and I must say that driving it this winter has been a treat. The car itself doesn’t have too many bells and whistles especially at this trim but it’s a competent car with above average reliability and one you should be able to purchase for 25k On the road brand new.
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1308 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: Just curious why do you need AWD
Most people that I know only want it because they are too lazy to shovel the snow in their driveways ...LoL
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
360 upvotes
You could probably pick up a new Mitsubishi Lancer AWC for 25k. It doesn't have AWD but selectable 4WD. You use 2WD in the summer to save gas and then 4WD/lock in the winter. It's a good car if you keep it forever. However if you plan to sell it after, the value of the car will tank.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10884 posts
5218 upvotes
Brampton
Sweet crap not this shit again.
eblend wrote: Impreza if you want real AWD from a reputable company, and not wannabe AWD.

Watch this video to see what I am on about, it tests the Crosstrek, which is a jacked version of Impreza, but all have the same technology.

Not this shit again
It's all BS. The impreza system isn't anything special
The WRX STI is the only one worth mentioning.
I'm not a fanboi for any particular system, I'm just tired of people blindly believing Subaru's claims.
It doesn't counter the point EP32K2 kinda questioned. He just questioned where the hell that guy got the idea to make the ridiculous claim that japanese cars don't break in the first 5 years and other cars will break in 1 year. (I know where EP32K2 is going with this as Porsche constantly scores high in initial reliability for it's category).

For fun tho I'm including 2 other reports on reliability that kinda counter each other.
As I did before in another thread that asked what are the most reliable or longest lasting cars what the hell is the full methodology.

https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-gu ... ad-128961/
then this
https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/ ... ?a=viewall
WikkiWikki wrote: What about for towing a trailer in the winter, and need that grip for going up a hill, or even getting out of a driveway.

What you mentioned, which can also be said for highways, back alleys, etc.

People that dont live in the city or smaller towns

Peoples whos activities consist of more than just hanging around in the city

Shall I go on? Sorta not really has changed to alot of people need this now
Meh.

I can and have done all that in a RWD pick up truck.

I also get out of my driveway and go uphill to work just fine every morning in my DD FWD econobox with winters. it was fun however to see that AWD X3 slide in to a ditch with Performance all seasons on monday tho.