Automotive

Cheapest AWD vehicles

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 2:11 pm
Sep 21, 2004
10140 posts
4220 upvotes
Calgary
UrbanPoet wrote: So... youre saying that it is an absoloute requiremwnt? So the people of calgary with 2wd cars are doomed? So doomed that 2wd cars make up a minority of cars sold in alberta?
That you cannot function or get anywhere without it?

Again its a want v.s. A neccessity in most cases.
Just bc you get a bit of extra snow doesnt mean you'll die without it.

Thats the point im trying to get at.
Of course there are the exceptions... but that doesnt mean its the absoloute need for everyone.

And i'm willing to put my money where my mouth is... who wants to bet that in the large majority of cases awd/4wd isnt needed?
$5000!

How did Canada function as a country before awd/4x4 was common? The technology has been around a long time...
Once again, you just showed you have no clue what you are talking about.

When the weather is nice, sure most people don't need AWD. But when the weather is nasty like the recent snow storms in the west, then many FWD/RWD cars would get stuck and unable to get out even with winter tires. How do you get to work?

Even buses get trapped frequently in Calgary. (Calgary Transit bus drivers would skip many uphill stops because doing so would mean their bus is now stuck in the snow).

So yes, many households here have at least one AWD car/SUV/truck. It is a necessity, not a want.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42001 posts
5556 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
b166er1337 wrote: Once again, you just showed you have no clue what you are talking about.

When the weather is nice, sure most people don't need AWD. But when the weather is nasty like the recent snow storms in the west, then many FWD/RWD cars would get stuck and unable to get out even with winter tires. How do you get to work?

Even buses get trapped frequently in Calgary. (Calgary Transit bus drivers would skip many uphill stops because doing so would mean their bus is now stuck in the snow).

So yes, many households here have at least one AWD car/SUV/truck. It is a necessity, not a want.
We all have an opinion. Y'all stated yours. And i stated mine that for the majority of people it really isn't.

Lets leave it at that okay?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4247 posts
4741 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OKSpring wrote: It's hilarious, I was at the Costco tire centre last week pricing out summer rubber, one guy with some Mercedes tank of an SUV comes in conceding he needs winter's because of his vehicles "poor 4WD system"..people don't like taking blame for their own stupidity, always someone or something else..
MB 4matic is pretty horrible actually.

http://blogs.youwheel.com/2014/04/04/lu ... ew-part-1/

"the limited slip device MB used on their car based 4Matic system, can only handle an upper limit of 50Nm (36.9 lb-ft) torque only. This is really a small amount of strength, so it means the 4Matic AWD system is mainly to get you on the road when your parking spot is blocked by a pile of snow."

Lexus: the IS250/350 AWD and GS350 AWD are using a planetary-gear center differential, plus a wet-type multi-disc clutch control to act as slip control. This is a very advanced and complex design. Because the multi-disc clutch can be 100% locked, it means Lexus’ AWD can handle the case that even front or rear wheels completely lose traction, than the rest side of the two wheels still have full power. The disadvantage of this design is it is complicated and the parts take space. Actually the IS/GS AWD are similar to an off road SUV – they have a separate transfer case to enclose the differential and the limit slip clutch unit.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7693 posts
2285 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: We all have an opinion. Y'all stated yours. And i stated mine that for the majority of people it really isn't.

Lets leave it at that okay?
The majority of people where though? Canada is big country.

He is stating that for the majority in Calgary, it is required. I assume you have lived in Calgary if you are qualified to state that it is not, based on personal experience? Otherwise where are you referring too?

I will agree, for the majority in Toronto it is not required, but for all of Canada? "Overwhelmingly large Majority" as you put it, may be a stretch.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1013 posts
852 upvotes
Calgary
Not to jump down the rabbit hole that's been dug (hold that thought, down I go..), but it is exceptionally difficult having a conversation with some people from the GTA about the realities of Canada. Not just about AWD, mind you...

This country does not revolve around Toronto, spread your wings a bit..but be careful, reality stings.

I would be pretty interested in the stats on vehicles sold in Alberta being dominantly AWD or 4WD (or more, depending what kind of motor vehicle we're talking about).

Considering among the top 5 vehicles sold in Canada last year were almost all trucks (F-150, Ram, Silverado, Sierra), I'd be willing to take a bet on that.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1013 posts
852 upvotes
Calgary
er34er34 wrote: MB 4matic is pretty horrible actually.

. . .
What I meant by that was the comedy in someone blaming their vehicle's drivetrain for it's inability to provide them traction in -35°C winter conditions, rather than their stupidity of not equipping their vehicle with proper tires.

I agree, not all systems are built equal (nor should they be, functionality and competition are good).
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2844 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal
tebore wrote: Sweet crap not this shit again.

Not this shit again
It's all BS. The impreza system isn't anything special
The WRX STI is the only one worth mentioning.
I'm not a fanboi for any particular system, I'm just tired of people blindly believing Subaru's claims.

No it's not special, nobody's AWD is special, just off the shelf tech and parts.

The difference is Subaru is willing to use a continuous duty center clutch pack, a heavy driveshaft and rear diff to be able to handle majority of torque sent to rear axle all the time and even move the car with only one rear tire having traction. Other manufacturers skimp on the parts and use toothpicks to transfer power and tiny center clutch pack that overheats in a minute and lock you out of AWD.

AMCI tests are commissioned by manufacturers, it even says "Toyota Venza AWD traction test" near end of the video. Hiding this fact makes them lose all credibility in my book.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5189 posts
2644 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote: No it's not special, nobody's AWD is special, just off the shelf tech and parts.

The difference is Subaru is willing to use a continuous duty center clutch pack, a heavy driveshaft and rear diff to be able to handle majority of torque sent to rear axle all the time and even move the car with only one rear tire having traction. Other manufacturers skimp on the parts and use toothpicks to transfer power and tiny center clutch pack that overheats in a minute and lock you out of AWD.

AMCI tests are commissioned by manufacturers, it even says "Toyota Venza AWD traction test" near end of the video. Hiding this fact makes them lose all credibility in my book.
The guy actually says Toyota engineers contacted them to do the test near the beginning of the video.

That being said, the lower tiered Subaru systems are nothing special, although I have not tried the Crosstalk with X-mode.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2844 posts
1766 upvotes
Montreal
BeaverLiquor wrote: The guy actually says Toyota engineers contacted them to do the test near the beginning of the video.

That being said, the lower tiered Subaru systems are nothing special, although I have not tried the Crosstalk with X-mode.
Missed that part, I knew how AMCI is so I jumped directly to the testing part.
[OP]
Sep 9, 2013
572 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Any other suggestions as per my question? Or is Subaru my best bet? Im mostly looking for something with value and AWD.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
hulk007 wrote: Any other suggestions as per my question? Or is Subaru my best bet? Im mostly looking for something with value and AWD.
Your best bet if AWD is a must. Otherwise consider other cars.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
13521 posts
10370 upvotes
Richmond Hill
hulk007 wrote: Any other suggestions as per my question? Or is Subaru my best bet? Im mostly looking for something with value and AWD.
No. As already mentioned the matrix awd would be best bang for the buck.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1013 posts
852 upvotes
Calgary
EP32k2 wrote: No. As already mentioned the matrix awd would be best bang for the buck.
OP wants new.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7934 posts
7908 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Brian99 wrote: Nobody needs AWD. You do need snow tires though.
Typical brainwashed sheep RFD response. Baaaaaaaaaaah.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7934 posts
7908 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Didn’t you see, the highly experienced Toronto cabal on RFD decided you don’t need it.

The truth is in your price range it’s slim pickings, but at least there’s an option. AWD tend to show up on the more expensive models.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."