Cheapest AWD vehicles

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2018 2:11 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
7471 posts
7100 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
I live in the Artic Circle and drive a RWD Hellcat on almost bald tires that the cords are starting to show. Never gotten stuck once.

Therefore no one ever needs AWD and anyone that wants AWD simply is just jealous they don't live in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2583 posts
292 upvotes
My dad has never been in a car accident, so none of us need seatbelts or airbags, either.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1498 posts
593 upvotes
Quangbot wrote: The need for AWD in Alberta is definitely overblown. Nearly everyone I talk to here spouts the same nonsense. I've had an NB Miata as my DD for the last 12 years, living both in Edmonton and Calgary over that time, as well as taking it on regular trips to Jasper/Banff for skiing. My wife and I have both never owned an AWD vehicle and neither of us have ever gotten stuck anywhere. I do recognize the benefits of having AWD in certain situations, but anyone that says it is a necessity is just using hyperbole. Save the money and get top of the line Nokians.
I'm in Alberta as well, Calgary specifically, and you will know that residential streets just don't get cleaned. I live on a slight incline, my old FWD Vibe as well as my older Caddy CTS RWD had trouble getting going if parked out front as it's an uphill start and there is a foot of snow, no issue with that on the AWD vibe or my Subaru. It's not necessary, but it just makes things easier. My alley access garage is also on an incline, and with my Caddy (RWD) I basically had to come in with some speed, do a 90 degree turn, and hope to god I don't slide into my wife's car while at the same time making it over the incline into the garage haha. Once you clear the snow and onto the smooth concrete of the garage, it's worse than ice. Now I just go out there in any depth and off I go. I recall times when you pray you don't have to stop on an hill, as most of the time it's so hard to get moving again, not an issue with AWD. Really those couple of things alone is the reason I got AWD for the wife in the first place, and once I drove her car, I figured why bother getting FWD or RWD when you can get AWD for about the same price. Up until last year I drove for 15 years on FWD and RWD cars personally, but there is always that doubt you will get stuck somewhere. Had to get a push out of a few ski hill parking lots on the CTS.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5123 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
Not going to debate the need for AWD but I'm going to bring up a point that was raised earlier, financing a cheap car for 5-6 years is going to make you upside down on the car.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2818 posts
1737 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah $25k all in is pretty tight, even a base Impreza CVT will be more than that. If you have to have AWD I'd probably take a look at 2 years old Lancer AWD (used Subarus are really expensive and not worth it IMO).
Sep 10, 2016
202 posts
31 upvotes
Don't think AWD can save you in scenarios where a FWD with winters can't save you otherwise - confession from a Quattro owner
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2315 posts
1065 upvotes
ontario
80% of the vehicles in the ditch on bad weather days are trucks/suvs because the fwd / rwd vehciles couldnt get out of their driveway.

that statistic is 50% accurate.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19112 posts
2379 upvotes
Niagara Falls
esoxhntr wrote: 80% of the vehicles in the ditch on bad weather days are trucks/suvs because the fwd / rwd vehciles couldnt get out of their driveway.

that statistic is 50% accurate.
75% of the time
Sep 29, 2014
533 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The Legacy gets some good cash discounts this time of year. Right now you can get into a 2017 Legacy for $25,000 without negotiating. Add $1,300 for the automatic.

You're getting way more car with the Legacy vs. an Impreza. It gets forgotten a lot but its bigger inside, has a better engine, its safer, and quieter than the Impreza. Way more car.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1005 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary
Fiddilixx wrote: The Legacy gets some good cash discounts this time of year. Right now you can get into a 2017 Legacy for $25,000 without negotiating. Add $1,300 for the automatic.

You're getting way more car with the Legacy vs. an Impreza. It gets forgotten a lot but its bigger inside, has a better engine, its safer, and quieter than the Impreza. Way more car.
Have to agree with this.

The design isn't nearly as offensive as it was years ago either. It's certainly not class leading in many aspects, but it's a pretty responsible choice, and a comfortable one at that.