Cell Phones

Cheapest data only plan to run Nest thermostat?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 7:26 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 13, 2005
395 posts
53 upvotes

Cheapest data only plan to run Nest thermostat?

What's the cheapest data only plan out there? Ideally prepaid. I just need something to run a Nest thermostat and don't want to pay for a full internet connection. Thinking of leaving a burner phone with hotspot on and only connecting the Nest. I doubt Nest would use more than 50MB a month?
10 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
3607 posts
1849 upvotes
Gotham City
The Fido $15 plan if you are a Fido customer.

Next is T-Mobile (US). It's US$10/mo for 2GB, roaming in Canada is included. You can get 10% off with discounted vouchers from Target.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15527 posts
2362 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a restriction on the T-Mobile plan where a certain percentage of the data usage takes place on a non-roaming network?

A Tbaytel sim would work too.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1638 posts
555 upvotes
Oakville
Tbaytel Prepaid is best for dedicated intermittent low data usage like: smart thermostat, car hot spots, home alarms.

Tbaytel 20GB 1 Year expiry for $125 ($6.25/GB). Assuming at the very most 1.67GB per month x 12 Months = $125 per Year
Unused data at annual anniversary can be rolled over to the next year for $100 top up, without having to buy additional 20GB data bucket.

Fido $15 3GB/month x 12 Months = $180 per Year
3GB is use it or lose it, every month.
Member
Jul 15, 2003
412 posts
137 upvotes
Tbaytel would be a great option if it weren't almost impossible to get.

Go with either the fido plan (if you can still get it). Or do the koodo prepaid $15/month option and add the 1gb data booster (which may be doubled right now?)

Register for auto pay and you get 10% off a month, and the data booster won't expire until you use it all.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1638 posts
555 upvotes
Oakville
I don't have any issues getting Tbaytel sims.
SecretSauce wrote: Tbaytel would be a great option if it weren't almost impossible to get.

Go with either the fido plan (if you can still get it). Or do the koodo prepaid $15/month option and add the 1gb data booster (which may be doubled right now?)

Register for auto pay and you get 10% off a month, and the data booster won't expire until you use it all.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
3607 posts
1849 upvotes
Gotham City
audit13 wrote: Is there a restriction on the T-Mobile plan where a certain percentage of the data usage takes place on a non-roaming network?
On T-Mobile voice/text plans, yes, there is a 5GB/month limit. I'm not sure if there is on data only plans. I've personally been using a data plan since 2015 and haven't had any issues.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15527 posts
2362 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: On T-Mobile voice/text plans, yes, there is a 5GB/month limit. I'm not sure if there is on data only plans. I've personally been using a data plan since 2015 and haven't had any issues.
That's a good deal. I am not a heavy data user; otherwise, I would have looked into one of these plans during my trips to the states.
Member
User avatar
Jun 2, 2002
447 posts
150 upvotes
aaa111 wrote: What's the cheapest data only plan out there? Ideally prepaid. I just need something to run a Nest thermostat and don't want to pay for a full internet connection. Thinking of leaving a burner phone with hotspot on and only connecting the Nest. I doubt Nest would use more than 50MB a month?
Just FYI, my Nest Gen 2 shows anywhere from 110MB to 240MB bandwidth (up+down) usage every month over the last year.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
3607 posts
1849 upvotes
Gotham City
audit13 wrote: That's a good deal. I am not a heavy data user; otherwise, I would have looked into one of these plans during my trips to the states.
They are always there and are always getting cheaper. The plans were just reduced by $10 (to $10). The 6GB plan is $25.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 24, 2003
15527 posts
2362 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: They are always there and are always getting cheaper. The plans were just reduced by $10 (to $10). The 6GB plan is $25.
Thanks for the information. I'll have to look into this in September when I go to San Francisco.

Top