• Jul 21st, 2020 9:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA

Cheapest low end GPU for decoding VP9 on Triple Monitor Workstation

Currently have a 10yr old ASUS GeForce 210 supporting my triple mon setup. However, streaming eats up the CPU (i7 3770 HD4000) and stutters badly.

Which lowest end model GPU has VP9 and 3 ports? prefers a fanless low profile card. My mainboard (Z77 Sabertooth) does have an additional GPU port but not sure how reliable or how decoding works with this port, otherwise, 2 port would be fine.

TIA
Last edited by LongLiveRFD on Jul 21st, 2020 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
28 replies
Jun 9, 2012
471 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
Good Low profile GPU cards are difficult to find at a reasonable price. All the ones out there that are fan-less are very junky.

The onboard video ports from the motherboard will use the CPU's integrated GPU, I don't believe you can connect your monitors to both the GPU and the onboard ones concurrently. Check the BIOS settings and see if they allow you to enable both concurrently, usually you can't and even if you do it might not even work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
I assume you are using chrome and has already confirmed you are using hardware acceleration?

If your streaming app of choice doesn't use hardware acceleration, switching GPU won't help you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
BigBrother0 wrote: Good Low profile GPU cards are difficult to find at a reasonable price. All the ones out there that are fan-less are very junky.

The onboard video ports from the motherboard will use the CPU's integrated GPU, I don't believe you can connect your monitors to both the GPU and the onboard ones concurrently. Check the BIOS settings and see if they allow you to enable both concurrently, usually you can't and even if you do it might not even work.
Hm...even if I drop all of the filters, there's a lot of GPU that will do triple mon, but most won't do VP9...

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=gpu&N=1000 ... 31&Order=1

The onboard port "worked" concurrently but gave rise to reliability/compatibility issues.

Can I get by just adding 1 VP9 card to stream properly on 2 screens while the existing old card drives the third? or I'd need both VP9 cards to stream on any screen?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote: I assume you are using chrome and has already confirmed you are using hardware acceleration?

If your streaming app of choice doesn't use hardware acceleration, switching GPU won't help you.
HA is on but my GPU is so old it won't even display the decoding load on the Win10 Task Manager.

Even if you use newer cards but without VP9 to decode it's the same as my old card. So either your CPU's integrated graphics decoding, the GPU or the CPU's brute force. This is my understanding.

But then, I have triple mon, I don't know how integrated graphics would help in this case.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24367 posts
31290 upvotes
My goodness, is this a real thread?

I'm taking notes as real answers develop.

Thank you, OP.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7220 posts
1555 upvotes
Toronto
I would aim for 144hz 8k triple display, do not settle for less.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
Looking at this page, https://developer.nvidia.com/video-enco ... ort-matrix

Do I care for VP8, or VP9 10/12-bit support?

So the only real choices that are under $220 and 90W:
Quadro P400/GT 1030 (very overpriced on used markets)
GTX 750
GTX 1050/1050 Ti GP107 (apparently full VP9 support was committed on the GP107 batch but not GP106)
GTX 1650

GTX 950/960/1060/1070/1080/1650 and on cost too much $$ and hydro for my purposes (i.e. not gaming) but their support for hardware decoding is more comprehensive.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: HA is on but my GPU is so old it won't even display the decoding load on the Win10 Task Manager.

Even if you use newer cards but without VP9 to decode it's the same as my old card. So either your CPU's integrated graphics decoding, the GPU or the CPU's brute force. This is my understanding.

But then, I have triple mon, I don't know how integrated graphics would help in this case.
Given you are on a 10 year ago old platform, and a low profile fanless requirement on new GPU, we are trying to get you there free of charge.

For one @[BigBrother0] may have a good idea to check if there is bios setting for multi monitor/GPU support to bring the HD4000 back online . That may give you a bit extra juice to decode video.

The other suggestion is to try Firefox.

Just not sure throwing more $ at this rig is worth it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote: Given you are on a 10 year ago old platform, and a low profile fanless requirement on new GPU, we are trying to get you there free of charge.

For one @BigBrother0 may have a good idea to check if there is bios setting for multi monitor/GPU support to bring the HD4000 back online . That may give you a bit extra juice to decode video.

The other suggestion is to try Firefox.

Just not sure throwing more $ at this rig is worth it.
Going back to integrated would be worse off. Right now my old GPU is forced to take up 40-60% utilization thus free up CPU which is loaded 24/7 by batch jobs.

it works for some streaming, when it stutters I divert the stream to force another codex that the GPU supports. I much rather just not experience any stuttering and have the browser renders everything.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: Going back to integrated would be worse off. Right now my old GPU is forced to take up 40-60% utilization thus free up CPU which is loaded 24/7 by batch jobs.

it works for some streaming, when it stutters I divert the stream to force another codex that the GPU supports. I much rather just not experience any stuttering and have the browser renders everything.
Sounds to me you out grew the rig.

Here I am with a laptop with a i7-8665U and integrated graphics driving 2 1080p panels and 1 4K screen for media and it stream 4K youtube fine.

But your 8k (equivalent of driving 4 4K screens) is quite extreme tho.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12323 posts
2469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ITT: nobody actually knows the requirements for driving triple 8K monitors (which the OP most certainly does not actually own)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote: Sounds to me you out grew the rig.

Here I am with a laptop with a i7-8665U and integrated graphics driving 2 1080p panels and 1 4K screen for media and it stream 4K youtube fine.

But your 8k (equivalent of driving 4 4K screens) is quite extreme tho.
VP9 supports 8K, I actually just need 1080P streaming on one of the 3 monitors.

How do I connect 3 monitors with the integrated graphic?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9241 posts
8507 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: VP9 supports 8K, I actually just need 1080P streaming on one of the 3 monitors.

How do I connect 3 monitors with the integrated graphic?
Your HD4000 is quite old. So I won't bother.

My laptop has thunderbolt and that connects to a dock where the other 1080p and 4K screens are connected to.

There are some motherboards with 3 video outs but those are rare and usually not the the exact 3 that you want. Dedicated GPU is still the good way to go for 3 screens.

In theory, you can just dump any 1050/60 and it should give you want you need. Finding the right ports on them is a challenge and fanless + low profile will increase the difficulty and availability which mean you won't get the bang for $.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote: Your HD4000 is quite old. So I won't bother.

My laptop has thunderbolt and that connects to a dock where the other 1080p and 4K screens are connected to.

There are some motherboards with 3 video outs but those are rare and usually not the the exact 3 that you want. Dedicated GPU is still the good way to go for 3 screens.

In theory, you can just dump any 1050/60 and it should give you want you need. Finding the right ports on them is a challenge and fanless + low profile will increase the difficulty and availability which mean you won't get the bang for $.
Fanless is needed for low noise. Low profile is good for reuse, which likely optional.

I was thinking the lowest cost would be Quadro P400 (passive low profile) pulled off servers with this:
https://www.newegg.ca/wavlink-wl-ug5501 ... -_-Product

Or can I just reuse existing GPU for the secondary/side screens which I don't use for streaming?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
LongLiveRFD wrote: Both. The h264ify helps a bit on GPU load but I have some surveillance footage on local disk to trim and had to go at 8X speed the GPU simply couldn't keep up.
Ah, now we get the use case.

This is a classic case of hardware is outdated even though your task / usage doesn't change...all because of codec changes on the software side (held hostage by software).

I was in a similar boat. There's no way around it...better off getting a new system overall. Your 3770 had a good run, but it's time to move the system to handle other tasks that it has instruction sets for.

p.s. If the trimming is relatively static, say, always trim 5 seconds from the start, and trim 8 seconds from the end....then I'm guessing you've already batched / automated this. Might want to see if you can offload this to a mobile device (phone, pad...etc) base on file sync / operations.

(The 8x speed is an interesting criteria. The fact that you're trimming means the recording [of that file] is already done. But in post, you have some faster-than-realtime requirement. Are you recording TV shows and uploading them? I'm just curious, that's all...not poking.)
Last edited by chatbox on Jul 21st, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
5967 posts
1427 upvotes
GTA
chatbox wrote: Ah, now we get the use case.

This is a classic case of hardware is outdated even though your task / usage doesn't change...all because of codec changes on the software side (held hostage by software).

I was in a similar boat. There's no way around it...better off getting a new system overall. Your 3770 had a good run, but it's time to move the system to handle other tasks that it has instruction sets for.

p.s. If the trimming is relatively static, say, always trim 5 seconds from the start, and trim 8 seconds from the end....then I'm guessing you've already batched / automated this. Might want to see if you can offload this to a mobile device (phone, pad...etc) base on file sync / operations.
Yes, sometimes it's faster to complete some tasks off my 2013 Ipad Mini 2 and this is getting ridiculous.

The 3770 is still around average. I've done some CLI and it has come to the point that no amount of CPU would ever be "enough". And this old GPU is not enabling me to test out free github codes enabling supporting GPU acceleration. Also for some of the tasks, it might be easier just go OpenCV and go all GPU thus the CPU would no longer be the bottleneck. But you might have a point that GPU is still the more expensive form of computing power, especially during the pandemic.

I rather just cut loose one of my side monitors and go for the P400 e-waste than having to listen to the fan noise or accept more low-level hardware tinkering.