Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes

Cheapest luxury lodgings in Canada/NA?

Here's a noodle scratcher for the travel experts, I'm wondering where I can find the nicest, cheapest hotel anywhere in North America. Considering a trip to get away from it all for a non holiday long weekend (3-5 days), and the location doesn't matter. It doesn't have to be a hotel, a cottage, airBNB or something else similar would be fine as long as it's reputable.

A Jacuzzi tub and king bed with high end bedding is a must, but also looking for things like a fireplace, marble, sunshower, nice balcony, etc. Basically something really swanky that doesn't cost a fortune, which sounds like I'm asking a lot but I'm willing to travel to just about anywhere for it (Detroit?).

So far through looking my best bets seem to be Niagara Falls in Canada, or Vegas if I go to the US. I considered resorts in Mexico, but I don't think I want it to be a full week and the shorter stays become pretty pricy on a cost per night basis.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4331 upvotes
So you want a 5-star hotel with a jacuzzi tub, full concierge and a balcony overlooking Detroit?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2727 posts
1989 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Way too vague...

1) within driving distance? How long are you willing to drive?

2) You mentioned Vegas- so you are okay with added costs of flying?

3) You mentioned places like Detroit- so this doesn't have to be in a remotely interesting place I take it?

...what's your price range per night??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: So you want a 5-star hotel with a jacuzzi tub, full concierge and a balcony overlooking Detroit?
You almost got it... I guess really what I should have asked is if there is anywhere cheaper than Vegas for a really nice room.
BrunetteGirl wrote: Way too vague...

1) within driving distance? How long are you willing to drive?
Anywhere. Literally. We enjoy discovering new places and enjoy wherever we end up.
BrunetteGirl wrote: 2) You mentioned Vegas- so you are okay with added costs of flying?
Absolutely. Anywhere in NA. As for costs, both driving costs and flight costs aren't a consideration.
BrunetteGirl wrote: 3) You mentioned places like Detroit- so this doesn't have to be in a remotely interesting place I take it?
thatsthejoke.jpg I couldn't think of a worse place than Detroit on short notice... I don't care where it is, just looking for the best deal on a great room.
BrunetteGirl wrote: ...what's your price range per night??
Again, just looking for cheapest. Looking at Vegas you can get some very nice suites for under $250, and if you include the resort credit from something like the Royal Offer... I'm pretty much guessing that Vegas can't be beat. Never hurts to ask though...
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1663 posts
438 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Look for a non-touristy destination and book the fanciest hotel you can find there
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11536 posts
2348 upvotes
Edmonton
Vegas offers just about the best value on the continental usa, as long as you aren't travelling during the weekend, or during convention or sporting events.

Some places on the west coast of Mexico offer good value as well, especially the Baja area.

Florida has good value for hotels in the midrange around Orlando.

Phoenix area including Scottsdale tend to have good values on off season, but too hot right now.

A cruise might be a good option, get a more basic room, but you still have great meals, all inclusive entertainment, sightseeing, hot tubs and pools, fine dining, dancing and nightlife, etc...
Jul 9, 2015
117 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Vegas is not my favourite town but I go there sometimes under protest for conferences.

During the summer some of the nice hotels have great deals during the week since their occupancy is low. Similarly they sometimes have deals after US thanksgiving in early Dec.

Depends on if you need to drive only or flying is okay too would filter out what is possible. Also if you need to travel during high season during school holidays or you can travel during off season can give different options...

Have you look into timeshares stays? sometimes owners who cannot use their timeshare rents it out and depends on your timing and your luck, might find something good and they have timeshare under the luxury hotel banners too but you need to do research.

The best deal I know is free stay based on points or offers but the Hyatt Chase card one is only available to US citizens or those who can apply for a US credit card.