• Apr 12th, 2021 12:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3152 posts
883 upvotes
Belle River

Cheapest mATX mobo for 1st gen Ryzen 7 1700

I want to replace a first generation Ryzen motherboard as cheap as possible. Prefer micro-ATX so I can just use the same case. Used is an obvious suggestion but in my small city it's not likely I'll come across just a motherboard that fits what I need, and if I did the price would probably be terrible anyway :).

I doubt there's any really old motherboards for good prices out there, usually old stock is very high priced, maybe I'd have to go with a B450?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2767 posts
1480 upvotes
London
hystavito wrote: I want to replace a first generation Ryzen motherboard as cheap as possible. Prefer micro-ATX so I can just use the same case. Used is an obvious suggestion but in my small city it's not likely I'll come across just a motherboard that fits what I need, and if I did the price would probably be terrible anyway :).

I doubt there's any really old motherboards for good prices out there, usually old stock is very high priced, maybe I'd have to go with a B450?
why do u need to replace it? if it died have u tired to RMA it i mean most boards these days have a 3 year warranty so there is a good chance it is still under warranty and could be replaced for nothing more then the cost of shipping it in to the maker.

other then that if u can't RMA it just check like pc part picker for mico-atx they will have a huge list of parts and give u the prices for most of the biggest online stores in canada like amazon newegg canada computers memory express ect.

then check other sites like ebay kijiji facebook market place and see if any used ones are for sale in your area figure out what the lowest price is u can find from all those sources and just buy whatever works.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3993 posts
1152 upvotes
Basically get the cheapest A320 or B450 board you can find that'll ship to you from Newegg, Amazon, etc etc. Can't be too picky with brands if you're looking for the " cheapest". Should run you $80-100. B450 would be nice since it gives you a little more upgrade path, since alot of the boards will allow for 5000 series Ryzen.

You'll never know what you'll find for used parts online until you look. Some would say more rural areas could have some gems with less competition??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3152 posts
883 upvotes
Belle River
aaron158 wrote: why do u need to replace it? if it died have u tired to RMA it i mean most boards these days have a 3 year warranty so there is a good chance it is still under warranty and could be replaced for nothing more then the cost of shipping it in to the maker.

other then that if u can't RMA it just check like pc part picker for mico-atx they will have a huge list of parts and give u the prices for most of the biggest online stores in canada like amazon newegg canada computers memory express ect.

then check other sites like ebay kijiji facebook market place and see if any used ones are for sale in your area figure out what the lowest price is u can find from all those sources and just buy whatever works.
It does have a 3yr warranty but that expired a long time ago, I got it when Ryzen was pretty new.

It's not dead but it's always had a problem where the system just locks up, I posted it about on RFD long time ago never figured it out, at first I thought it was early Ryzen RAM issues and it could still be I guess. When it was my daily driver it would happen maybe once a month I forget now. It almost always happens overnight, come back to use it the next day to a black screen and have to reset. At this point every part has been swapped at one time or another, even multiple times like I've tried multiple RAM sets, even the case, all except the CPU but I used that CPU temporarily for a few months in another PC and it ran fine.

I had given up bothering to figure it out because the PC had become just an occasional use system, I would sometimes use it for gaming get togethers, or for testing parts, whatever. It had not locked up in a long time actually, despite having it on for several weeks sometimes but it was just sitting there doing nothing, and I thought maybe the problem was solved. I decided I wanted to put it to a different use but then last night overnight it locked up. I realize it's investing in old stuff but I figure if I can spend $100 or $150 for a new motherboard and turn it into a reliable PC, seems worth it and certainly far less than buying a new motherboard+CPU.

Anyway thanks yeah I guess PCPartPicker is good I forgot about it. Used would be best but as I said I just won't find one in my area, or it would take ages, or be a huge ripoff like most used PC parts here. I did look and will keep looking but I doubt I'll find anything that suits.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3993 posts
1152 upvotes
Just don't go for a B550 or the newer 500 series boards since it won't be compatible with 1st gen ryzen CPUs. If your budget is $100-150 you shouldn't have a problem getting a decent B450 board. Google your particular problem and see if any new solutions comes up. Ryzen has come a long way since first gen perhaps a BIOS update is all you need?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2767 posts
1480 upvotes
London
hystavito wrote: It does have a 3yr warranty but that expired a long time ago, I got it when Ryzen was pretty new.

It's not dead but it's always had a problem where the system just locks up, I posted it about on RFD long time ago never figured it out, at first I thought it was early Ryzen RAM issues and it could still be I guess. When it was my daily driver it would happen maybe once a month I forget now. It almost always happens overnight, come back to use it the next day to a black screen and have to reset. At this point every part has been swapped at one time or another, even multiple times like I've tried multiple RAM sets, even the case, all except the CPU but I used that CPU temporarily for a few months in another PC and it ran fine.

I had given up bothering to figure it out because the PC had become just an occasional use system, I would sometimes use it for gaming get togethers, or for testing parts, whatever. It had not locked up in a long time actually, despite having it on for several weeks sometimes but it was just sitting there doing nothing, and I thought maybe the problem was solved. I decided I wanted to put it to a different use but then last night overnight it locked up. I realize it's investing in old stuff but I figure if I can spend $100 or $150 for a new motherboard and turn it into a reliable PC, seems worth it and certainly far less than buying a new motherboard+CPU.

Anyway thanks yeah I guess PCPartPicker is good I forgot about it. Used would be best but as I said I just won't find one in my area, or it would take ages, or be a huge ripoff like most used PC parts here. I did look and will keep looking but I doubt I'll find anything that suits.
have u updated to the lastest bios alot of those issues with ram and stuff have been patched out. i got an x470 board and this board has had more bios updates then any board i have ever had in the past also make sure u update to the newest amd chipset driver one thing annoying about amd they don't seem to deploy there latest chipset driver via windows update like intel does and even when the driver is installed it has nothing in place to tell u when a new driver comes out for the chipset so u gotta manually check if new ones come out all the time ud think they would be able to have it tell u when a new one comes out like there gpu drivers do..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3152 posts
883 upvotes
Belle River
aaron158 wrote: have u updated to the lastest bios alot of those issues with ram and stuff have been patched out. i got an x470 board and this board has had more bios updates then any board i have ever had in the past also make sure u update to the newest amd chipset driver one thing annoying about amd they don't seem to deploy there latest chipset driver via windows update like intel does and even when the driver is installed it has nothing in place to tell u when a new driver comes out for the chipset so u gotta manually check if new ones come out all the time ud think they would be able to have it tell u when a new one comes out like there gpu drivers do..
I didn't check yesterday but I have updated the BIOS a few times. I have also done fresh installs multiple times as I've moved it into different cases and with different drives and such many times over the years. I did a fresh install yesterday and each time I install the drivers manually instead of letting Windows handle it.

I might get this little more expensive one:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112960
Memory Express is cheapest I could find comes to $123 shipped but Newegg is only $1 more probably better to order from them than MemEx. Amazon comes to $136. I didn't think of it before but that built in WiFi will come in handy when I bring it places as pretty much no one I know has wired, then I don't have to remember to bring a USB WiFi adapter. The built in bluetooth might be useful too.

Oh there's this Amazon used option for the cheapest board on PCPartPicker, comes to only $87:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MWG ... J3Q8&psc=1
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2767 posts
1480 upvotes
London
hystavito wrote: I didn't check yesterday but I have updated the BIOS a few times. I have also done fresh installs multiple times as I've moved it into different cases and with different drives and such many times over the years. I did a fresh install yesterday and each time I install the drivers manually instead of letting Windows handle it.

I might get this little more expensive one:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112960
Memory Express is cheapest I could find comes to $123 shipped but Newegg is only $1 more probably better to order from them than MemEx. Amazon comes to $136. I didn't think of it before but that built in WiFi will come in handy when I bring it places as pretty much no one I know has wired, then I don't have to remember to bring a USB WiFi adapter. The built in bluetooth might be useful too.

Oh there's this Amazon used option for the cheapest board on PCPartPicker, comes to only $87:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MWG ... J3Q8&psc=1
cc has this one https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... anguage=en 80 bucks plus a 20 mail in rebate.
Jul 18, 2019
132 posts
65 upvotes
Ontario
You should get at least a b450 board so you can upgrade to 5000 series if you want down the road. I think most B450 supports 5000 series now
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1520 posts
855 upvotes
coilz wrote: Just don't go for a B550 or the newer 500 series boards since it won't be compatible with 1st gen ryzen CPUs. If your budget is $100-150 you shouldn't have a problem getting a decent B450 board. Google your particular problem and see if any new solutions comes up. Ryzen has come a long way since first gen perhaps a BIOS update is all you need?
mlerfd wrote: You should get at least a b450 board so you can upgrade to 5000 series if you want down the road. I think most B450 supports 5000 series now
coilz wrote: Basically get the cheapest A320 or B450 board you can find that'll ship to you from Newegg, Amazon, etc etc. Can't be too picky with brands if you're looking for the " cheapest". Should run you $80-100. B450 would be nice since it gives you a little more upgrade path, since alot of the boards will allow for 5000 series Ryzen.

You'll never know what you'll find for used parts online until you look. Some would say more rural areas could have some gems with less competition??
Most low tier 300 and 400 series motherboards dropped support for 1st gen with newer bios revisions.

It's a risky move to buy a B400 motherboard and expect it to support a 1st gen CPU.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3993 posts
1152 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: Most low tier 300 and 400 series motherboards dropped support for 1st gen with newer bios revisions.

It's a risky move to buy a B400 motherboard and expect it to support a 1st gen CPU.
Only B450 board that appears to lose support for 1st/2nd gen Ryzen after bios update are Asrock boards after certain versions. With some MSI boards losing support for Bristol Ridge CPUs ( the AM4 socketed Athlons A-XX). Its good practice for OP to check, but I dont think the risk is as high as you stated, especially if OP has a mainstream 1st Gen Ryzen 1X00 CPU and not some funky AM4 Athlon/A-XX cpu.

Welcome to add some boards that you know are going to be incompatible with 1st gen ryzen after bios upgrade for future reference.