Cell Phones

Cheapest mobile data-only options in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 8:34 am
Tags:
None
Nov 21, 2014
17 posts
14 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
You must've been lucky because I just visited three Fido kiosks and spoke to three phone CS agents (both in English and French) and they all said that there was no way to get the data-only plan, with or without the free tablet, unless you already were a Fido customer with a post-paid cell plan currently active.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote: Thanks.. I think it is time to jump to a store and get it (3GB/month + tabby)
I do have a voice plan ($20 Fido unlimited local call )
I want to a get a new one yesterday plus a tablet. But it was turned down as the tablet are sold out and I cannot get a rain check (@ Fairview branch)
I could get another $15 SIM though with no problem just without the tablet (I paid in full the Pad III way back)
That ends my BF shopping LOL
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
inhaliburton wrote: Unless I misinterpreted the intention of this thread, yesterday (Nov 27) via Fido's CS line 1-888-481-FIDO (3436), I purchased the 2-year, 3 gb Data Plan, PLUS the free LG gpad IV tablet. There is a 25$ activation fee. The tablet is being shipped today. I am on the same plan from last year with the free LG gpad III. I was told yesterday you DO NOT have to attach the 15$ data plan (free LG pad IV) to a Voice plan.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/dev ... s-11151739

Plan code DSPSRA1L1
Where did you get it? Not online at fido.ca?
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
datumdude wrote: Where did you get it? Not online at fido.ca?
Got it via Fido CS at 888-481-FIDO (3436).

There is a 25$ activation fee. If you can figure out how to purchase via Fido on-line, there is no activation fee. I couldn't figure it out.

Be sure it's Plan Code DSPSRA1L1

I do have a Fido account from the 3 gb / gpad III promo from last year. Not sure, but this MIGHT be a requirement (having a Fido account).

So much confusion dealing with Fido. The Belleville Fido kiosk at the Mall tried to push the gpad III on me, saying the gpad IV was a special order and nobody has stock. He didn't want to do "special order" and told me to phone Fido.

The CS rep I spoke with insisted there was NOT a free tablet, that it was an extra 15$. When I told him to key in DSPSRA1L1 he said a popup appeared. He also said I was his first free tablet promo call.
++++++++++++++
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: I do have a voice plan ($20 Fido unlimited local call )
I want to a get a new one yesterday plus a tablet. But it was turned down as the tablet are sold out and I cannot get a rain check (@ Fairview branch)
I could get another $15 SIM though with no problem just without the tablet (I paid in full the Pad III way back)
That ends my BF shopping LOL
Oupps.. Bummer. Thank you for warning.. I'll try and report my results ..
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
NOT TRUE. Forget about getting it via a Fido kiosk. IT'S AVAILABLE via Fido CS.

Fido's CS line 1-888-481-3436.

The 2-year, 3 gb Data Plan, PLUS the free LG gpad IV tablet. There is a 25$ activation fee.

You can also do the promo via Chat. No Activation fee if done on-line.

The Plan code is: DSPSRA1L1
++++++++++++++
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
I ordered mine on November 27. Got a confirmation email today:

The following provides details of your recent hardware order. Please retain a copy of this
document for your files.
Thank you for choosing Fido.
BACK ORDER DETAILS
Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Order Date (dd/mm/yy)
27/11/17
Fido Account Number
X-XXXX-xxx
Quantity & Item Ordered (make/model/colour)
1 OBERTHUR FIDOTRISIM
1 LG LG GPAD4 Black
++++++++++++++
Nov 21, 2014
17 posts
14 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
Good for you but that doesn't help those of us that don't have or want a Fido voice account. That's not the point of this thread.
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
IamGimli wrote: Good for you but that doesn't help those of us that don't have or want a Fido voice account. That's not the point of this thread.
Hello IamGimli,

Where did I say that I have a "Fido voice account?" Did I miss something?

I only have a Fido data account. Last year's 15$ 3GB data / Free LG Gpad III tablet on a 2 year plan. In January 2018, I will be half way through.

Last year's promo for the LG Gpad III was for NEW and EXISTING customers.

If you haven't seen this yet, here's the Fido link for various tablets. Scroll to the bottom for explanation.

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets

Best regards, Paul.
in Picton, ON
++++++++++++++
Nov 21, 2014
17 posts
14 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
inhaliburton wrote:
If you haven't seen this yet, here's the Fido link for various tablets. Scroll to the bottom for explanation.

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/tablets

Best regards, Paul.
in Picton, ON
You mean all the way down to where it says that it's only for those that already have a Fido mobile plan? And that data-only plans don't count?

What you got last year is irrelevant. Like I said it seems you got lucky but my and the 2-3 other people who have tried it this year and posted in this thread got nothing despite talking to many different reps on all available channels. It's 7 different reps I talked to myself alone that all said the exact same thing, which is the exact same thing that's posted on their website.

Consider yourself lucky but you really shouldn't be telling everyone that they'll all be as lucky as you, especially after many have stated that they weren't.
Mar 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
Agreed I tried a couple times to sign up using DSPSRA1L1 and they all told me I need a "voice" plan on my account first before I can add this plan
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
User326082 wrote: Agreed I tried a couple times to sign up using DSPSRA1L1 and they all told me I need a "voice" plan on my account first before I can add this plan
The rep I spoke with said the cost would be 15 + 15 until I said to key-in Plan code DSPSRA1L1. After which, the rep said a "popup" appeared on the screen.

So that didn't work for you, User326082?
++++++++++++++
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
I just got off the line with CS. On this year's plan, a "voice" plan is required. Plan code DSPSRA1L1 does not work. Sorry for misinformation, but that's what I gleaned from another thread. The reason I'm okay is because last year's plan included new Fido customers. The rep said, well things change. If you are a Fido customer, you should be good to go.
++++++++++++++
Mar 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
I'm already a FIDO customer(old 15 3gb data only plan) and they told me they could only offer me the 15 2gb data when i quoted DSPSRA1L1 ....so basically I would lose 1 gb of data and have to commit for 2 years to get the free tablet. Then I suggested cancelling(month to month currently) and starting new plan and then ran into need a voice plan for all new activations.
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
User326082 wrote: I'm already a FIDO customer(old 15 3gb data only plan) and they told me they could only offer me the 15 2gb data when i quoted DSPSRA1L1 ....so basically I would lose 1 gb of data and have to commit for 2 years to get the free tablet. Then I suggested cancelling(month to month currently) and starting new plan and then ran into need a voice plan for all new activations.
Being a Fido client, why not log into your account and querie the Fido Community?

Fido's promo wording is terrible. How tough would it be to CLEARLY put in print who is and who is not, eligible for various promos?

Last year's Fido 3gb/free LG Gpad III table promo was a fiasco. There is a thread here on Redflagdeals that has over 2,000 posts dealing with that mess. And I'm one of them. 4-months of jerking around with CS and Chat before I was finally put on the correct plan, and refunded overcharges.
++++++++++++++
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
Do we have actual confirmation of someone getting the following, simply:
- This year using with promo (which is for a limited time)
- 3GB data plan, 15$ per month, (+ a one-time 25$ activation fee), with the choice of various tablet options: LG IV 0$, iPad 299$, LG III 49$, ZTE 0$
- NOT being an actual Fido customer
- NOT having to get a voice plan
Basically someone confirming paying just 15$ per month, nothing else, no shite, no voice, ?
I want this deal :(
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
I have since found out why I qualified for the Promo. I have highlighted the text indicating why.
From Fido's website: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions?slide=1
Click: (+) SEE FULL DETAILS at bottom of the page.

LG G Pad IV:
Offers available for a limited time while quantities last and is subject to change without notice. A one-time $25 transaction fee applies for the processing of your tablet activation. Taxes extra.
2. LG G Pad IV 8.0 at $0 on a 2-year $15 3GB/month tablet data plan added to an eligible Fido postpaid mobile plan (voice-only, data-only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible). $15 3GB/month data plan available until December 4, 2017. Early cancellation fees apply. Taxes extra.

I am on an existing Fido 3gb data postpaid Mobile Plan plan from December 2015.
++++++++++++++
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
inhaliburton wrote: 2. LG G Pad IV 8.0 at $0 on a 2-year $15 3GB/month tablet data plan added to an eligible Fido postpaid mobile plan (voice-only, data-only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible). $15 3GB/month data plan available until December 4, 2017. Early cancellation fees apply. Taxes extra.

I am on an existing Fido 3gb data postpaid Mobile Plan plan from December 2015.
It also says in the parenthesis "data-only plan not eligible", which seems contradictory.
Nov 9, 2009
802 posts
126 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Contradictory. Very.
++++++++++++++
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Fido customer service agent folks are a bunch or random hippies, no system whatsoever,
so you can convince them of anything with enough persistence.
If it fails, try and try again ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)