Cell Phones

Cheapest mobile data-only options in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 8:34 am
Tags:
None
Nov 9, 2009
785 posts
116 upvotes
Wellington, ON
I wonder if it's lack of training? Pumping them on-line too soon. It was 12-weeks of training before American Express let us anywhere near a telephone.
++++++++++++++
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
647 upvotes
Soooooo! It seems mobile data prices are plunging indeed! Good trend!

The "Hot Deals" forum is flooded today with all Big3 (and their flankers) offering $60/10 GB/month i.e. $6/GB (+ those insignificant talk/text add-ons :) )..

It should be more than enough for an average user ( who burns about 3 GB/month) so the cellular providers are probably expecting to capitalize on under-usage.

And, occasionally, on over-usage ;) What is the overages cost for those "big-data" plans? I've seen a pretty steep $70/GB in some of those plans, which is not good...
Nov 9, 2009
785 posts
116 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Well, I'm glad I'm not in the market for that much data. 60$ to me is a lot. I'd wait until Boxing Day. Might be better still.
++++++++++++++
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
647 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote: Well, I'm glad I'm not in the market for that much data. 60$ to me is a lot. I'd wait until Boxing Day. Might be better still.
Yeah, not interesting for me either.. I'm just an average user, about 3GB/month..
Nov 9, 2009
785 posts
116 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Wow. I've gotta wonder what some have been paying before these promotions if they figure 60$ for 10 gb of data is a good deal. It's crazy expensive here in Canada. They say we are paying the highest in the world! We need more competition.
++++++++++++++
Dec 21, 2017
1 posts
Virgin Mobile 3Gb Tablet Plan for 15$/month including a Free Samsung Tab E tablet with 24 months contract.

This is a good bargain, but the tablet Sim card is not compatible into a smartphone. I bought the deal yesterday to give it a try ... tablet Sim card is block inside smartphone ... while my smartphone Sim card is accepted inside the tablet! I want is compatible the way around :(

Any clue if Virgin Mobile could allow there tablet sim cards to work in smartphone?
Mar 11, 2011
988 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
NorthMan007 wrote: Virgin Mobile 3Gb Tablet Plan for 15$/month including a Free Samsung Tab E tablet with 24 months contract.

This is a good bargain, but the tablet Sim card is not compatible into a smartphone. I bought the deal yesterday to give it a try ... tablet Sim card is block inside smartphone ... while my smartphone Sim card is accepted inside the tablet! I want is compatible the way around :(

Any clue if Virgin Mobile could allow there tablet sim cards to work in smartphone?
What you discovered is true. You can't use the Virgin data sim in a phone. We know that the Fido sim works, but is is sometimes problematic acquiring that sim if you aren't already a Fido customer. There is a long thread on the Fido offer.
Nov 21, 2014
17 posts
14 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
Wouldn't it just be a matter of configuring an alternative APN for that tablet SIM on the phone? What's the APN that Virgin Phone SIMs use?
Jun 8, 2018
1 posts
I get from Bell Mobility one of those hidden plans that I can get depending on where my mailing adress is. Price is 95gb maximum for 61$ plus taxes. It is capped at 5mb/s download and 1 mb/s upload. I have three of these plans because I needed lots of gb. It's somekind of flex rural mobile internet available for those who can't get DSL yet.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote: Yeah, not interesting for me either.. I'm just an average user, about 3GB/month..
Ditto.
I can go a lot higher in my data use before Feb 2019 given that it is almost free. But I do not want to hook (more like addicted to) onto whatsapp/Facebook video/vdo chat ...on the road at all. And my higher data use will kill me after the free period
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)