Cell Phones

Cheapest mobile data-only options in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 8:34 am
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2003
385 posts
157 upvotes
As good a place as any for this; does anyone have experience with a Public Mobile’s SIM and the 12GB over 3month voice and data promo, in a tablet? PM is a secondary line for me (for now) and was thinking of getting an LTE tablet, in which I could swap the Sim into and out of, since it isn’t a primary line.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32599 posts
6370 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
browna wrote: As good a place as any for this; does anyone have experience with a Public Mobile’s SIM and the 12GB over 3month voice and data promo, in a tablet? PM is a secondary line for me (for now) and was thinking of getting an LTE tablet, in which I could swap the Sim into and out of, since it isn’t a primary line.
No reason why that shouldn’t work. It works out to be cheaper than the Fido plan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I have a tablet SIM and I need one more. I tried my luck at Fairview mall and since I am a Fido client I get another one $15 for 2 Gb only
I constantly have guests coming in. Not much I can do.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8411 posts
2088 upvotes
modchipcanada wrote: Here is the fido plan link for anyone:
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions
Get 3GB of tablet data for only $15/month!
For a limited time, get 3GB of data for $15 per month1 when you bring your own tablet or activate a new one.

Does anyone know of a cheaper data only card for very small amounts of data? Under 100 mb per month - for alarm back up.
speakout is $10/per 100mb/month. But they frequently have buy $100/get $25 extra which makes it effectively $8
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
modchipcanada wrote: Here is the fido plan link for anyone:
http://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions
Get 3GB of tablet data for only $15/month!
For a limited time, get 3GB of data for $15 per month1 when you bring your own tablet or activate a new one.
I have tried thrice so far (once at CostCo, and twice in online Fido's chat) and they can't give me the data plan unless I also take a normal cellphone plan. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4081 posts
2353 upvotes
Gotham
datumdude wrote: I have tried thrice so far (once at CostCo, and twice in online Fido's chat) and they can't give me the data plan unless I also take a normal cellphone plan. :(
You need to go to another location and try. Eventually someone will sell it to you - unless there is a crackdown on this sort of thing.

It's definitely not possible online.
Nov 9, 2009
686 posts
99 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Unless I misinterpreted the intention of this thread, yesterday (Nov 27) via Fido's CS line 1-888-481-FIDO (3436), I purchased the 2-year, 3 gb Data Plan, PLUS the free LG gpad IV tablet. There is a 25$ activation fee. The tablet is being shipped today. I am on the same plan from last year with the free LG gpad III. I was told yesterday you DO NOT have to attach the 15$ data plan (free LG pad IV) to a Voice plan.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/dev ... s-11151739

Plan code DSPSRA1L1

Fido and their confusing plans. You get a different sorry with each CS person you talk to.

Regards, Paul.
here in Picton, ON!
Last edited by inhaliburton on Nov 28th, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton.
Nov 9, 2009
686 posts
99 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Also was told that the 3gb data plan 15$ ends on December 3rd. Was also told there is no end-date for the free LG gpad IV. Likely to end the same date as the data plan.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/posting ... p=28561548

Plan code DSPSRA1L1

Your Mileage WILL Vary with every CS rep you talk to...
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1881 posts
602 upvotes
inhaliburton wrote: Also was told that the 3gb data plan 15$ ends on December 3rd. Was also told there is no end-date for the free LG gpad IV. Likely to end the same date as the data plan.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/posting ... p=28561548

Plan code DSPSRA1L1

Your Mileage WILL Vary with every CS rep you talk to...
Thanks.. I think it is time to jump to a store and get it (3GB/month + tabby)
Nov 9, 2009
686 posts
99 upvotes
Wellington, ON
Tichi wrote: Thanks.. I think it is time to jump to a store and get it (3GB/month + tabby)
That's what I did. No need to open or attach to a "voice" plan.

Plan code DSPSRA1L1
Nov 21, 2014
17 posts
14 upvotes
Gatineau, QC
You must've been lucky because I just visited three Fido kiosks and spoke to three phone CS agents (both in English and French) and they all said that there was no way to get the data-only plan, with or without the free tablet, unless you already were a Fido customer with a post-paid cell plan currently active.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Tichi wrote: Thanks.. I think it is time to jump to a store and get it (3GB/month + tabby)
I do have a voice plan ($20 Fido unlimited local call )
I want to a get a new one yesterday plus a tablet. But it was turned down as the tablet are sold out and I cannot get a rain check (@ Fairview branch)
I could get another $15 SIM though with no problem just without the tablet (I paid in full the Pad III way back)
That ends my BF shopping LOL
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 26, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
inhaliburton wrote: Unless I misinterpreted the intention of this thread, yesterday (Nov 27) via Fido's CS line 1-888-481-FIDO (3436), I purchased the 2-year, 3 gb Data Plan, PLUS the free LG gpad IV tablet. There is a 25$ activation fee. The tablet is being shipped today. I am on the same plan from last year with the free LG gpad III. I was told yesterday you DO NOT have to attach the 15$ data plan (free LG pad IV) to a Voice plan.

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/dev ... s-11151739

Plan code DSPSRA1L1
Where did you get it? Not online at fido.ca?
Nov 9, 2009
686 posts
99 upvotes
Wellington, ON
datumdude wrote: Where did you get it? Not online at fido.ca?
Got it via Fido CS at 888-481-FIDO (3436).

There is a 25$ activation fee. If you can figure out how to purchase via Fido on-line, there is no activation fee. I couldn't figure it out.

Be sure it's Plan Code DSPSRA1L1

I do have a Fido account from the 3 gb / gpad III promo from last year. Not sure, but this MIGHT be a requirement (having a Fido account).

So much confusion dealing with Fido. The Belleville Fido kiosk at the Mall tried to push the gpad III on me, saying the gpad IV was a special order and nobody has stock. He didn't want to do "special order" and told me to phone Fido.

The CS rep I spoke with insisted there was NOT a free tablet, that it was an extra 15$. When I told him to key in DSPSRA1L1 he said a popup appeared. He also said I was his first free tablet promo call.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1881 posts
602 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: I do have a voice plan ($20 Fido unlimited local call )
I want to a get a new one yesterday plus a tablet. But it was turned down as the tablet are sold out and I cannot get a rain check (@ Fairview branch)
I could get another $15 SIM though with no problem just without the tablet (I paid in full the Pad III way back)
That ends my BF shopping LOL
Oupps.. Bummer. Thank you for warning.. I'll try and report my results ..