• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 1:50 pm
[OP]
Oct 18, 2009
59 posts
8 upvotes
North York

Cheapest no contract plan for extreme low usage

I just needed a secondary phone number for receiving phone calls and or voicemail (very little usage - literally a few minutes each month) without paying some huge monthly fee for all this unlimited stuff and data which I don't need right now.

Any recommendations?
21 replies
Oct 20, 2011
75 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Be sure to top up with the minimum amount once a year to carry over unused minutes.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1296 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If phone never leaves wifi area: Fongo is free
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Aug 6, 2019
67 posts
28 upvotes
fongo is free on wifi.
if existing shaw user, free talk and text
freedom $99/yr talk and text
7-11 $25/yr pay as you go
Feb 12, 2019
265 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver BC
Sorry for hijacking this thread..

But which prepaid plan has international roaming overseas? I just need a service that will allow creditcards, PayPal etc to send verification codes which I can receive when I am overseas. I won’t be using to call or text anyone. Planning to be out of the country for more than 6 months.

7-11 doesn’t work outside North America.
Nov 28, 2008
44 posts
17 upvotes
Richmond
I just got off the phone, so have to comment. I signed up for 7-11, and asked for my freedom number to be ported. It was a very poor experience.

firstly, filling out the online port form and pressing 'submit'. It goes back to a normal webpage, without any acknowledgment of having completed the port and what to expect next. I called to confirm, and I was told 'yes its been submitted. it will take up to 2-3 days but usually happens in 1 day'. Fast forward 3 days, call in.... sorry, give it a few more days. call in a week late, sorry give it a few more days... 2.5 weeks later called in and asked for a refund or them pay my freedom bill will i wait...at least the supervisor called back and claims to have refunded my $25. I'm still out $15 for the SIM, and my freedom mobile plan's half a month of service wasted/having two phone plans. Finally the weird oddity, they claimed I had sent texts and was billed for it when I didn't send any texts. They claimed it was code 4998 (if i recall) which facetime uses to update itself. Was having a hard time believing it, so i didn't bother trying to cling onto their service when the supervisor called me back and told me they'd be refunding my $25 and closing my account.

I wish I could have had some of that awesome 1.25$/month + pay per usage... but it wasn't meant to be.
Nov 23, 2017
48 posts
7 upvotes
WayneW8682 wrote: Sorry for hijacking this thread..

But which prepaid plan has international roaming overseas? I just need a service that will allow creditcards, PayPal etc to send verification codes which I can receive when I am overseas. I won’t be using to call or text anyone. Planning to be out of the country for more than 6 months.

I would like to know about this as well, anyone? THanks
Aug 6, 2012
248 posts
85 upvotes
TORONTO
WayneW8682 wrote: But which prepaid plan has international roaming overseas? I just need a service that will allow creditcards, PayPal etc to send verification codes which I can receive when I am overseas. I won’t be using to call or text anyone. Planning to be out of the country for more than 6 months.

I've used https://www.piranha-mobile.com/ for that. Can get a Canadian number for $0.70/month (USD I think), but I just keep the free UK one. No monthly charges and credit stays for years

The SIM takes a while to ship from the UK to Canada so keep that in mind if your going to leave soon
Mar 11, 2011
813 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
jeremy4 wrote: I've used https://www.piranha-mobile.com/ for that. Can get a Canadian number for $0.70/month (USD I think), but I just keep the free UK one. No monthly charges and credit stays for years

The SIM takes a while to ship from the UK to Canada so keep that in mind if your going to leave soon
Unfortunately, Piranha has been down for more than a month. On their website they say they are having problems with their routing partner. Will they ever come back? My feeling is that many of these travel sims will go under because no one is traveling these days.
Aug 6, 2012
248 posts
85 upvotes
TORONTO
46jimbo wrote: Unfortunately, Piranha has been down for more than a month. On their website they say they are having problems with their routing partner. Will they ever come back? My feeling is that many of these travel sims will go under because no one is traveling these days.
Huh. That's probably why I can call and text out but people can't call or text me back. At least it still works in one direction but that sucks.
Sep 7, 2010
77 posts
29 upvotes
T.Dot
VOIP.ms. You can't beat that.
erotavlas wrote: I just needed a secondary phone number for receiving phone calls and or voicemail (very little usage - literally a few minutes each month) without paying some huge monthly fee for all this unlimited stuff and data which I don't need right now.

Any recommendations?
Oct 14, 2006
189 posts
88 upvotes
Richmond
I use VOIP.ms and have it email me MP3's of voicemails. That way I don't need to go through the voicemail menu and listen to baloney. I just receive an email with a name and phone number, press the MP3 and listen to the message. Big time saver if you get 30 calls in a day.