• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2022 7:28 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1457 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto

Cheapest pay as you go / post paid plan with data

Looking for a cheap pay as you go or a low monthly cost phone plan provider with some data , maybe less than 1 gb. BYOD. I was looking at speak out and Petro can wireless?

These are both for the payg options.

Thanks!
JS
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
James Stonehenge wrote: Looking for a cheap pay as you go or a low monthly cost phone plan provider with some data , maybe less than 1 gb. BYOD. I was looking at speak out and Petro can wireless?

These are both for the payg options.

Thanks!
Check out Public Mobile, which is Telus' No-Frills option. The cheapest plan they have is $15/month, comes with 100 Can-wide minutes, unlt'd incoming minutes/texts, also if you auto-pay, you get 250Mb of data. Not sure how much you use data but for the cheapest on a national Carrier, this is pretty good plan. Had my kids on this for a few years.

They also have more data/voice minutes with higher monthly costs.
May 27, 2016
248 posts
236 upvotes
BC
Speak out and Petro can don't seem to have any good low data plans.

Personally I would go with Public Mobile, $23 for unlimited T&T and 1gb with autopay .If you can live with 250mb per month they also have a $13 with autopay plan with only 100 minutes but you can purchase more for 1 cent per minute and also extra data that doesn't expire.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

Lucky Mobile also has a similar $25 plan with unlimited data at 128Kb/s after using up your 1gb.

https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/prepaid
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
vn33 wrote: Check out Public Mobile, which is Telus' No-Frills option. The cheapest plan they have is $15/month, comes with 100 Can-wide minutes, unlt'd incoming minutes/texts, also if you auto-pay, you get 250Mb of data. Not sure how much you use data but for the cheapest on a national Carrier, this is pretty good plan. Had my kids on this for a few years.

They also have more data/voice minutes with higher monthly costs.
Doesn't PM limit you to 3G data? Reading the site, it doesn't look like you can get LTE.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Doesn't PM limit you to 3G data? Reading the site, it doesn't look like you can get LTE.
If you don't game or watch video (YouTube), 3G is fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
Menace wrote: If you don't game or watch video (YouTube), 3G is fine.
Youtube is "not bad" on lowest video quality setting and a few second wait for loading time and slight buffing here and there Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1017 posts
1106 upvotes
GTA
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Doesn't PM limit you to 3G data? Reading the site, it doesn't look like you can get LTE.
It's not "3G" per se ... but it's on Telus' LTE network, but throttled down to 3G speed, so you do get the advantage of LTE latency and all those advantages. Streaming on PM is not bad ... but TBH, if you're looking for the cheapest plan, and with only 250Mb on the $15 plan, you probably wouldn't want to watch video on this plan anyway.

The data will be fine for other purposes like emails/messages/etc that is not multimedia heavy. Again, my suggestion is based on OP's request for cheapest plan.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2018
2545 posts
4752 upvotes
I'm with public mobile on the $15 100 minute Canada wide plan with 250 megabytes of data. With auto pay, loyalty and referral bonuses my monthly bill is $8 plus tax. If I needed more talk time I just buy an Add-on, $5 for 500 Canada wide minutes but haven't had to do so because they keep giving existing customers bonuses (minutes and data) from time to time. Been with them for 3 years now, no issues 👍🏻

I'd trade it all for a little more.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
I just switched a phone from Speakout to Public Mobile because it started to get too many calls from people and services wanting to chat at 30 cents/min. Incoming calls are free and unlimited on PM, even on the $15/mo plan ($13/mo with autopay).

I never use much cellular data on that phone, just email, IM and notifications - it's mostly on WiFi. Even the 100 Mbytes for $10 a month on Speakout was fine, and 250 Mbytes/mo on the PM base plan is even better. Maybe some people who use lots of mobile data don't understand how that can be, but I can't use the phone when I'm driving in the car from one place with WiFi to another place with WiFi, and I seldom have the urge to watch video advertising on YouTube when I'm shopping. Speakout with minimal data use is less than $10/month if you take advantage of the $125 for $100 top-up promos. It's really the incoming calls issue that's the problem.