Cell Phones

Cheapest phone provider to choose a plan/phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 8:03 am
[OP]
Sep 4, 2017
386 posts
676 upvotes

Cheapest phone provider to choose a plan/phone?

With Koodo fixing the loophole (ironically when I was tying to get a new phone) which is the cheapest phone provider to get a phone + deal plan? I like Koodo's prices on their phones, but their plans are atrocious for my price range (No way in hell I'm paying $40 for unl. talk/text and no data).

Is it better to buy a refurbished phone from ebay/kijiji and port it to a place like public mobile?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
Freedom if you're in their zone

Or Lucky mobile. Then port to Virgin after 1 month. They have $40 6GB i believe
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6316 posts
2672 upvotes
West GTEH!
JohnF100 wrote: With Koodo fixing the loophole (ironically when I was tying to get a new phone) which is the cheapest phone provider to get a phone + deal plan? I like Koodo's prices on their phones, but their plans are atrocious for my price range (No way in hell I'm paying $40 for unl. talk/text and no data).

Is it better to buy a refurbished phone from ebay/kijiji and port it to a place like public mobile?
You can try signing up at Walmart or BB or WOW Mobile. Can't remember which 1 I saw it at, but there was the $25 U/L Talk & Text plan for New Koodo activations. And I believe you can also get a new phone.
You'd have to check out which place is offering this plan. If it's stil available(?)
😎
[OP]
Sep 4, 2017
386 posts
676 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Sign up for Lucky Mobile. You will get migration offers to Virgin Mobile after a month or two. Do not sign up for Koodo as they provide absolutely no value at this point.

How does this work? I wanted to get an iphone (preferably 8 or 10) but they dont seem to offer it there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
JohnF100 wrote: How does this work? I wanted to get an iphone (preferably 8 or 10) but they dont seem to offer it there.
You can migrate to Virgin after a month and iPhone. Use Lucky for a month with your current phone
Feb 28, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
Hi folks! Is this still a valid option?
Go to lucky and then migrate to Virgin?
Is the $40 still an option.

I'm very upset with koodo at this point.
I was looking at the iphone xr for their deal, but I don't like how new activations receive a different price. I was also not impressed with their secret deals some customers get and not others.

I'm currently paying $50 for 6bg unlimited everything.
I'd love to know how exactly this whole thing works with vigin and lucky.

I love RDF for this!
Thanks in advance folks! Hopefully, I can get off of koodo's bs.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
Phone + plan?
Freedom hands down, if it works for you.
There's a 15-day no-risk trial to confirm that it does.
jwslam wrote: I recently moved from freedom after 10 years of no loyalty promotions.

Currently with Lucky on a Bring-Your-Own-Device. There are no subsidized phones.
You were free to get a $0/$0 iPhone 8, Samsung S9 or A70 on a $60/13GB plan with Freedom. Is that not special enough?
Feb 26, 2011
824 posts
878 upvotes
Calgary
pjw918 wrote: You were free to get a $0/$0 iPhone 8, Samsung S9 or A70 on a $60/13GB plan with Freedom. Is that not special enough?
few reasons why I moved.
-I was on a $40 unlimited almost everything plan. Included unlimited US roaming. I had no intentions of giving that up just for a free phone.
-There were other loyalty customers that were gifted a free Nexus 6 on 6yr anniversary. I was excluded though I've been with them since inception.
-I had a billing issue a few years back, where they were charging me 10x for a service I had paid for. They told me my bill payment lapsed and cut off my service for a week while I was pestering a resolution. The resolution was pretty much "well we'll drop the $300 overage charges, but you still have to pay the taxes on that". Despite that I stuck with them.
-I recently moved and the reception in my area is absolute garbage.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1882 posts
1027 upvotes
@TFC2017 What secret deals are you taking about?

@pjw918 Careful though, it sounds like the phone must be returned in near mint condition.
Don't know if you saw the other thread in here.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
jwslam wrote: -I recently moved and the reception in my area is absolute garbage.
Well that clinches it.
Billing screw-ups with any provider leaves a bitter taste.
Leaving because Freedom doesn't offer good value is the non sequitur.
Feb 28, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
Thanks folks for the replies!
Yah, I was with Wind (now freedom) for about 2 years. I was so upset over their reception issues that I had to cancel my plan with them. They also don't really have any loyalty programs and I ended up paying almost the same amount for a more reliable carrier (in my areas anyways).

So, I've pretty much sworn off Freedom because of the many missed/dropped calls etc etc.
Feb 28, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
jay-em wrote: @TFC2017 What secret deals are you taking about?

@pjw918 Careful though, it sounds like the phone must be returned in near mint condition.
Don't know if you saw the other thread in here.
The secret deals are those special deals sent to certain customers. So, for example, I was offered $55 for 8 gb of data. That's not necessarily offered to the general public, but if you know about a particular deal, than the agent could tap into that for you.
Of course, I got off the phone with some of the worst supervisors/managers from koodo who initially said there were no better offers than $60/10 gb but then when I mentioned what I had, the supervisor changed his story and said...well.....there's other offers for certain members.

So, that's what I mean.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
TFC2017 wrote: Thanks folks for the replies!
Yah, I was with Wind (now freedom) for about 2 years. I was so upset over their reception issues that I had to cancel my plan with them. They also don't really have any loyalty programs and I ended up paying almost the same amount for a more reliable carrier (in my areas anyways).

So, I've pretty much sworn off Freedom because of the many missed/dropped calls etc etc.
WIND was years ago..
Feb 28, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
pjw918 wrote: WIND was years ago..
So, Wind and Freedom aren't the same in regards to coverage and signal strength etc? I was under the impression that they were essentially the same company. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just hated the feeling of never knowing whether I would get reception in the suburbs or Barrie etc. It was a definite safety issue for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
TFC2017 wrote: So, Wind and Freedom aren't the same in regards to coverage and signal strength etc? I was under the impression that they were essentially the same company. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just hated the feeling of never knowing whether I would get reception in the suburbs or Barrie etc. It was a definite safety issue for me.
Well, whichever provider, you gotta have reliable service.
The network has improved greatly since WIND days.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
TFC2017 wrote: So, Wind and Freedom aren't the same in regards to coverage and signal strength etc? I was under the impression that they were essentially the same company. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just hated the feeling of never knowing whether I would get reception in the suburbs or Barrie etc. It was a definite safety issue for me.
They have LTE now. Coverage areas/cities are constantly growing. Outside their zones, roaming is free on big3.

Shaw has invested $1 billion and continuing in the network
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3005 posts
560 upvotes
Pickering
Going to need to find a deal in a few months myself with a new phone, older Asus ZenFone battery is just not cutting it anymore, looking at the Freedom deals and worried about the coverage too, dropped Wind years ago with the same issues the OP said. How is Freedom's coverage in my area, Durham region?

Also, side question, is the iPhone XR considered good for battery life? Need something to last most of the day.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.