• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 8:29 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2005
531 posts
112 upvotes
Richmond

Cheapest plan to maintain a number and supports international roaming

I will be out of the country for a year, but I'd like to keep my number just in case I need to use it to do email/bank account text verifications.

I was originally thinking of 711, but after checking the terms, I found that they don't support international roaming at all, not to say receiving text messages.

I do know with Robellus' month plans, you can roam abroad and get free incoming text, but paying $80 to just maintain a number is too expensive.

Any in put is welcome! thanks in advance
4 replies
Sep 30, 2015
355 posts
116 upvotes
York, ON
I use Knowraoming. I loadup US$25 and use it payasyou go to draw down the $25. This is good for 9 months. They also have short term packages varying from one day to one month depending on the country you are in. I always buy some of these packages when they are on sale, and activate them when I travel. I bought the sticky sim since I do not have 2 slots. It works with esim as well. Take a look at their website.
You can maintain your own phone number but you need to pay extra.
Feb 23, 2010
232 posts
185 upvotes
I work internationally and have had to look into this. I ported my number to voip.ms (DID) and use a softphone like Bria to receive calls. Rates are great and I think porting Canadian numbers are free now. (I’ve paid for this three times in the past like $10 per line). You can have calls forwarded as well to a VOIP number like Fongo or Pinger or even your local/international number abroad (higher rates I guess for intl calls but we are still talking cents). You keep a balance like $15-20 on the account and it reloads when low - I’ve probably spent something like $40 in a whole year.

Voip.MS SMS works not so great unfortunately- maybe 60-70% of the time - it gets forwarded or emailed but not properly for all banks/companies unfortunately. Regular texts from people are fine but no one texts anymore... the automated 2-step texting is what I am referring to in the 60-75%.

The two step verification always works with voice calling though.

For robellus you can keep your number and just switch to a cheaper plan for the year you are away if you are coming back for sure and can’t be fussed.

I guess you could also port out to a prepaid plan? But seems like a headache to maintain active while abroad though so VOIP.ms has been serving me well.

When I come back to Canada I can just get a data-only eSim and use my local number again without signing up for another plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1446 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Cheapest is Fongo. You pay $25 to port your number and it's free for as long as you like. Incoming and outgoing calls are free to Canadian numbers.
If you need to send SMS, you can pay for monthly passes.
Jan 4, 2007
300 posts
131 upvotes
raid-5 wrote: I will be out of the country for a year, but I'd like to keep my number just in case I need to use it to do email/bank account text verifications.

I was originally thinking of 711, but after checking the terms, I found that they don't support international roaming at all, not to say receiving text messages.

I do know with Robellus' month plans, you can roam abroad and get free incoming text, but paying $80 to just maintain a number is too expensive.

Any in put is welcome! thanks in advance
I'd second voip.ms add groundwire app $10 I think and you're set. Get an obi box and you can have your cdn number as a landline wherever you are as well as being able to answer on your phone through groundwire.
I

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)