Travel

Cheapest Travel for Ottawa and Toronto Roundtrip

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2015 5:51 pm
Jan 1, 2015
5 posts

Cheapest Travel for Ottawa and Toronto Roundtrip

Hey guys I looked at the greyhound prices and they are around $80 for a round trip for Ottawa-Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton and the megabus is $50 for one way... These prices are way too expensive for me as I am looking to go back and forth every other week so is there something which is cheaper?
9 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
80 bucks round trip is about as cheap as you can get unless you can hitch a ride on Kijiji or someplace like that. $80 is a pretty good price.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Pete is right - $80 return is a good price. It has been many years since I took the bus from Toronto to Ottawa - I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in the winter - especially if the bus travels through I believe it is Tweed. I had some pretty wild rides.

The train will cost you more unless you are able to find a really good sale.
Jan 1, 2015
5 posts
Shouldn't the megabus be cheaper like they have advertisements of $2 per passenger so I thought it would be really cheap...

Although, on Kijiji I found a guy who is doing $30 one way so I guess I should take his offer then. $120 per month is quite a bit though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Nothing is inexpensive about travelling. Just curious if the roundtrip fare is for adult or if you are a student, is it the student fare?

Why do you need to go bi-weekly when you stated the public transportation option is too expensive for you? No money, no travelling.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Jan 1, 2015
5 posts
Ciel wrote: Nothing is inexpensive about travelling. Just curious if the roundtrip fare is for adult or if you are a student, is it the student fare?

Why do you need to go bi-weekly when you stated the public transportation option is too expensive for you? No money, no travelling.
Yes it's the student fare. I am just here for 4 months on co-op but the place I am living at right now in Ottawa is nothing like what I imagined it would be. It's always cold and I don't really know anyone here so I miss living at home more than I thought I would. That's why I want to travel bi-weekly to go back home. I was hoping for something like $50 round trip so it'd be $100 per month but I think I might have to go back monthly instead of bi-weekly. It also depends if my roommate who has not reached here yet is quiet or not. I am hoping he is quiet at night so I can sleep on time..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
Make do where you are and wait for the co-op term to finish before going home. Find places to go locally by foot or OCTranspo for those nights where you may prefer to walk around/hangout at bookstores/coffee shops or campus lectures. Save your money for the first one-way trip back home as soon as your work term concludes. Besides, you might want to have that bus money set aside as a reserve for unexpected expenses.

Emails home with photo attachments can help with the connection to home. Parents like getting a weekly phone call-vary the days you call.
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Shah55587 wrote: Shouldn't the megabus be cheaper like they have advertisements of $2 per passenger so I thought it would be really cheap...

Although, on Kijiji I found a guy who is doing $30 one way so I guess I should take his offer then. $120 per month is quite a bit though.
Well, you were the one that said megabus was $50.
$30 each way is cheaper than the bus and probably more comfortable too. $120 per month was figured into this how? You going twice a month? If that is the case, $160 by bus us even more and 200 by megabus is more again.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4103 posts
269 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I thought Megabus doesn't service Ottawa?!?
Traveling 😁
Dec 28, 2014
26 posts
1 upvote
All the time, you can find $40 rideshares on Kijiji. Cheap, and normally pretty quick too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)