• Jun 23rd, 2020 9:34 am
[OP]
Aug 7, 2015
202 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Cheapest unlimited talk plan for grandparents in Vancouver

Hi friends,

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the cheapest unlimited talk plan is that isn't Freedom. This is for my grandparents in lower mainland Vancouver (East Vancouver). They don't text or use data.

I gave them my old iPhones and put them on Public Mobile's $25/month plan. It's only been a week and they've already each used over 150 minutes...

Is there anything cheaper that uses the cellular towers of the Big 3? Or should I just take a chance and go with Freedom?

My concerns with Freedom Mobile come from experiencing signal drops, particularly when:
- I'm on the lowest floor of a mall (like Metrotown)
- I'm shopping in crowded areas on Boxing Day/Black Friday
- random signal disconnections when I'm driving around Vancouver (literally on the road within the City of Vancouver)
- random signal disconnections when I'm driving on the freeway in North Vancouver

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2167 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
So whats wrong with PM? Did you autopay for an extra $2discount?

Are they initiating the calls or are they mostly incoming? If incoming, check PMs $15 plan
[OP]
Aug 7, 2015
202 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
o0vL wrote: So whats wrong with PM? Did you autopay for an extra $2discount?

Are they initiating the calls or are they mostly incoming? If incoming, check PMs $15 plan
It's fine, I just feel like there are cheaper options if all I want is unlimited talk. They make a lot of outgoing calls to chat with friends.

The $25/mo I'm paying includes unlimited text and some data, both of which I don't need.
Aug 30, 2012
113 posts
38 upvotes
"My concerns with Freedom Mobile come from experiencing signal drops, particularly when:
- random signal disconnections when I'm driving around Vancouver (literally on the road within the City of Vancouver)
- random signal disconnections when I'm driving on the freeway in North Vancouver"

The question should be what are your grandparents concerns:where are they doing most of their chats..at home ,on the freeway ,driving around ? Will they be shopping in crowded areas now and in the future?
Perhaps the freedom unlimited talk and text for $99(plus tax+sim card cost and $10 activation) a year would work for them depending on their answers to the question above.That is the cheapest way to go.And some people have gotten the sim card for free and the activation fee waived.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21211 posts
2510 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have access to Exclusive Partner Programs (EPP) through work or know someone that does?

Absolute cheapest voice only plan that I have seen is Telus $20/month unlimited voice plan.

My mom used to be on this until I moved her Public Mobile voice/txt/1gb data plan.

I just checked my work and it is still being offered.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18847 posts
8504 upvotes
Oakville
I think the $25 (well $23 with autopay) is the cheapest you're gonna get for unlimited talk and text. You can save an extra 50 cents by going to Cityfone or SimplyConnect (both owned and operated by Rogers) and taking the 10% BYOP discount off their $25 talk and text plans to get down to $22.50, but that's it.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1659 upvotes
Alberta
Niroxu wrote: This is for my grandparents in lower mainland Vancouver (East Vancouver). They don't text or use data.

I gave them my old iPhones and put them on Public Mobile's $25/month plan....

Is there anything cheaper that uses the cellular towers of the Big 3? Or should I just take a chance and go with Freedom?

My concerns with Freedom Mobile come from experiencing signal drops, particularly when:
- random signal disconnections when I'm driving on the freeway in North Vancouver
Device can make a world of difference, without VoLTE & LTE B13 the network experience will not be optimal. Old iPhones won't cut it.
Freedom Device Compatibility Matrix
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3582 posts
3199 upvotes
Muskoka
another potential cheaper option would be the $15 plan at Public Mobile. $10 cheaper than your current plan. You get unlimited incoming and 100min Cda wide outgoing. BUT you can get an additional 500min outgoing Cda wide for only $5. If they are under 600min of outgoing then you are saving at least $5/mth
Public Mobile
Jun 16, 2017
95 posts
27 upvotes
100 minutes is nothing. And freedom is so much cheaper than everyone else.....why not just spend a little of the saving and get an optimally compatible phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2733 posts
746 upvotes
Scarborough
CraigB806782 wrote: 100 minutes is nothing. And freedom is so much cheaper than everyone else.....why not just spend a little of the saving and get an optimally compatible phone.
+1
@$99/yr !!

You may need to invest in a new phone....the cheapest UMIDIGI which has band 66 for FM.