Travel

Cheapest way to gain access to Air Canada Lounge ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2022 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal

Cheapest way to gain access to Air Canada Lounge ?

Hello everyone,

Since I almost always fly Air Canada (for aeroplan) and work purposes we have to fly AC, I was wondering whats the best (cheapest) way to have access to AC Lounges in the world ? I do have "Priority Pass" but the AC lounges are not part of that program.

From what I gathered on the internet, those cards give you access :

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege
CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege
American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card

The TD seems to be the strongest card all-around, any other recommendation or tips?
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
RFD price error moto: "Buy now, think later." -Ahzuz
37 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
If you fly AC so much, should you already have Elite Status and free lounge access? If you're close to Elite, the cheapest way might be to make sure some of your upcoming trips you route longer in order to get the necessary qualifying miles (e.g. I recently did YOW-YUL-YVR in order to bump up a few more miles.

A membership I think is still offered for sale as well.

If you don't fly enough for membership, then it might not be worth paying for. I say this as a long time Elite flyer, I find out of all my Elite Benefits, lounge access isn't in my top three benefits.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
dolfan1980 wrote: If you fly AC so much, should you already have Elite Status and free lounge access? If you're close to Elite, the cheapest way might be to make sure some of your upcoming trips you route longer in order to get the necessary qualifying miles (e.g. I recently did YOW-YUL-YVR in order to bump up a few more miles.

A membership I think is still offered for sale as well.

If you don't fly enough for membership, then it might not be worth paying for. I say this as a long time Elite flyer, I find out of all my Elite Benefits, lounge access isn't in my top three benefits.
Good post, because of covid I haven't flown that much in the past two years, now I fly almost monthly, so not elite yet, was looking for a way to fast-track this.

What's your top three benefits ?

Thanks!
I was there at the 32$ price error at dell.ca day AND at the 150$ off price error at fs.ca
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
Ahzuz wrote: Good post, because of covid I haven't flown that much in the past two years, now I fly almost monthly, so not elite yet, was looking for a way to fast-track this.

What's your top three benefits ?

Thanks!
$375 to buy membership, a little steep IMO https://www.mapleleafclub.ca/en/service/memberships/

My top three benefits are probably:

- Priority seating (seldom have to sit next to someone and sit near the front of the plane)
- Priority contacts/rebooking (rebook in 5 mins on next flight in bad weather vs waiting hours only to be put on a flight the next day)
- Priority boarding (never worry about bag space)

After that I do quite like the cost savings of lounge access for mini-meals and comfort, as well as upgrades though they are so sparse now it's hard to count. Discounted reward flights is also high up there, I booked a flight to LA for 5k points per person each way last night!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
dolfan1980 wrote: $375 to buy membership, a little steep IMO https://www.mapleleafclub.ca/en/service/memberships/
It's not even an option right now. Suspended due to COVID.

OP - once you reach 25K you will get some lounge passes. Once you reach 35K you will get lounge access in NA for Maple Leaf Lounges.

I have not flown that much in the last 2 years either but did your status not get extended due to COVID? I still hold E50K even though I have not flown much in the last 2 years.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2006
3385 posts
441 upvotes
Montreal
dr_torch wrote: It's not even an option right now. Suspended due to COVID.

OP - once you reach 25K you will get some lounge passes. Once you reach 35K you will get lounge access in NA for Maple Leaf Lounges.

I have not flown that much in the last 2 years either but did your status not get extended due to COVID? I still hold E50K even though I have not flown much in the last 2 years.
Fairly new to Aeroplan, didnt have it before, hence why i didnt accumulate miles
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
If you fly for business you'll accumulate pretty fast, especially if your flights are a longer or transborder. As dr_torch said, the basic 25K status does grant 2 lounge passes and it goes up as your status goes up. There was also a status match going on last year for AC if you had status on another airline but I assume you may not if you weren't traveling for work prior.

I wouldn't personally get a CC just for Maple Leaf but that depends on your overall travel habits.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Easiest/fastest way is to get one of the cards you mentioned, since that's basically instant.

https://princeoftravel.com/best-credit-cards/aeroplan/

If you don't want to keep the card next year, earn as many SQX as you can.

Extra connections will speed things up, for example, YUL-YYZ-YYC-YVR instead of direct.

Higher fares (Flex/Comfort over Standard) will earn more points, getting you status quicker.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Depends how often you fly ie how many times you need access. Most of the CC give you only a few access passes a year if that.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ecsta wrote: Depends how often you fly ie how many times you need access. Most of the CC give you only a few access passes a year if that.
It does look like the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card gives lounge access to North American MLL (if I am reading it correctly). I would not pay $600 just for the lounge access though personally.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
I think op is looking for *Gold status if he says around the world.

Not too many air Canada lounges aside from. Los Angeles Newark (pretty sure that terminal is under construction) and the coveted London arrivals lounge.

Star gold would get you into any (or most ) star alliance lounges.

Keep in mind many lounges will refuse entry for those who used a credit card to gain status. Usually at peak times
Autocorrect sucks
Sep 22, 2012
661 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
dr_torch wrote: It does look like the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card gives lounge access to North American MLL (if I am reading it correctly). I would not pay $600 just for the lounge access though personally.
By North America, you meant Canada?!
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cuddlebudy wrote: By North America, you meant Canada?!
No. I meant North America. Any maple leaf lounge within North America.
A Primary Cardholder and Additional Cardholder(s) are each entitled to complimentary access to any Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge located in Canada and the United States, including International Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges in Canada and the United States when travelling on an international itinerary. Access excludes Air Canada Signature Suites and lounges operated by third parties, such as Star Alliance member airlines
Sep 22, 2012
661 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
dr_torch wrote: No. I meant North America. Any maple leaf lounge within North America.
I see all the USA lounges are operated by star alliance member airlines? Mostly United Airlines?
Which US cities has international air canada MLL?

Never mind. I see LA and New York does have MLL.
Apr 30, 2021
652 posts
569 upvotes
YHM
EWR used to have a small MLL, but with the new terminal opening up, it remains to be seen if a new MLL will be available.

AC is also supposed to be on the move at SFO, and it would be nice to have an MLL there as well.
Sep 22, 2012
661 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
VWDriver wrote: AC is also supposed to be on the move at SFO, and it would be nice to have an MLL there as well.
We going to SFO this August. Would be great if they have a MLL.
I think we can use our priority passes on Air France - KLM lounge there?
Apr 30, 2021
652 posts
569 upvotes
YHM
I don’t know why people think the MLL is such a magical place; I have access and skip it as there is much more space by the gate areas.

YYZ is my home airport and I arrive at the airport about 15 minutes before boarding.

Just get a CC, OP, and don’t overthink things.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19893 posts
4112 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
VWDriver wrote: I don’t know why people think the MLL is such a magical place; I have access and skip it as there is much more space by the gate areas.

YYZ is my home airport and I arrive at the airport about 15 minutes before boarding.

Just get a CC, OP, and don’t overthink things.
It has free food and better chairs. Airport food is expensive, especially for a family.

It's one thing if your home airport is YYZ. People coming from smaller airports connecting at YYZ/YUL/etc might have no choice but to be there for a few hours.
Apr 30, 2021
652 posts
569 upvotes
YHM
I agree with your post, but I am the opposite of most in that I often choose to connect at smaller airports as opposed to flying non-stop!
i6s1 wrote: It has free food and better chairs. Airport food is expensive, especially for a family.

It's one thing if your home airport is YYZ. People coming from smaller airports connecting at YYZ/YUL/etc might have no choice but to be there for a few hours.