Automotive

Cheapest way to maintain insurance history?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7644 posts
4337 upvotes
Debtario

Cheapest way to maintain insurance history?

My mom has an old car (late 80's olsmobile) she has not driven in 2 years or so, mostly because she is concerned about reliability and I just drive her when needed, which isn't much due to the pandemic as I get her groceries as well. She switched to fire/theft and parked it in the garage, but the fire/theft coverage through intact is still quite expensive - around $500, when the full coverage was around $900-1000 for her.

Clearly this is not worth it, but what I am concerned about is her losing insurance history and getting gouged if/when she decides to get her own car again.. which may not be for another 3 years or so (depends if I move further away and if other family can give her rides, but I don't want her to give up her independence). Also concerned that if she does decide to drive the old car again, finding insurance may be tricky as well due to the age, though the car may be sold by then. Is there any way to get dirt cheap coverage while still being "insured", like bare bones absolute minimum?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19685 posts
23064 upvotes
GTA
I think you can just add her to your insurance as a second driver and that will count.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7644 posts
4337 upvotes
Debtario
engineered wrote: I think you can just add her to your insurance as a second driver and that will count.
Ah, didn't think it was that simple.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
Not exactly the question you're asking but why was fire/theft so expensive? Shouldn't it have been way cheaper? Might want to try a different insurance company if they're charging near to half the OTR rate.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4348 posts
1443 upvotes
Brampton
ES_Revenge wrote: Not exactly the question you're asking but why was fire/theft so expensive? Shouldn't it have been way cheaper? Might want to try a different insurance company if they're charging near to half the OTR rate.
I am assuming those prices are yearly, so $500 is still pretty good.
Even as a secondary driver, you may not get cheaper.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.