Computers & Electronics

Cheapest way to make my printer wireless?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2016 11:02 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto

Cheapest way to make my printer wireless?

I'm looking for a cheap way to make my printer wireless. I have a basic b/w Brother laser printer but it does not have wireless capability. Can I buy some sort of wireless device to make it wireless that is dirt cheap?
24 replies
Aug 19, 2003
281 posts
17 upvotes
Markham
Do you have a wireless router? Does it have a USB port?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
boyin wrote: Do you have a wireless router? Does it have a USB port?
Yes I do and no usb port
Dec 19, 2011
536 posts
167 upvotes
There are wireless print servers that you can buy, and also some routers have one build in as mentioned already.

The best/cheapest way would probably be to install print server software on a connected PC, then print to that from any device on the network. My router comes with this Genie software that allows me to print from my iOS devices even though my printer is not AirPrint enabled. Perhaps someone on this forum has experience with a similar software setup that is free/cheap and easy to install/configure.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21770 posts
3031 upvotes
Toronto
Just don't buy a dlink wireless print server..

Biggest pile of junk...I bought the Dlink DPR1260 and darn thing kept on dropping the connection..

It is now just sitting in a drawer gathering dust...perhaps they did a software upgrade to resolve the problem...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote: I'm looking for a cheap way to make my printer wireless. I have a basic b/w Brother laser printer but it does not have wireless capability. Can I buy some sort of wireless device to make it wireless that is dirt cheap?
Which model? Printers without a print engine (WinPrinters) require a special print server with added smarts. But if it has a PCL or PostScript Engine on board, any print server (Router with USB port, standalone, etc.) should do.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10399 posts
2756 upvotes
Winnipeg
wireless bridge or range extender with etherent port will work. Any cheap router with dd-wrt/gargoyle/tomato set to bridge mode and its now wireless printer. Some routers natively offer bridge mode on stock firmware. Check around for an old router

something like this should work. Tho never used this model myself
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brand-New-Linksy ... RTM2247626

I am assuming your printer has an ethernet jack right?
Nov 3, 2003
54 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy a wireless printer.
Buying Printers servers and what not will not be cheaper.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28886 posts
9384 upvotes
cafu wrote: Just buy a wireless printer.
Buying Printers servers and what not will not be cheaper.
This. Unless you can find a wireless print server for cheap (kijiji, eBay), might as well replace the whole printer. Colour lasers with wireless can be as cheap as $100 these days.

If the OP's printer has wired network they don't need to get a server but just a wireless bridge, which is probably cheaper than a server.
Apr 11, 2011
409 posts
129 upvotes
Memramcook
DIrty-D wrote: Yes I do and no usb port
Does it have a Ethernet port? I pluged mine into the router which has4 Ethernet ports but my Brother printer is a network version.

Bob
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
bobmacgolf wrote: Does it have a Ethernet port? I pluged mine into the router which has4 Ethernet ports but my Brother printer is a network version.

Bob
Bingo ! ...or else he has to use a wireless parallel port server adapter if there is no Ethernet or USB port.
I personally still prefer the legacy parallel port on my printers, takes up less resources on the PC side and is guaranteed to work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
I have a black and white brother laser printer. No ethernet and no usb (yes has usb sorry). I think I am just going to buy a wireless printer but its a shame I have to stop using the one I have because its a perfectly good printer and the toner lasts forever. I would ideally like to have or buy the same printer with wireless capability.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28886 posts
9384 upvotes
It doesn't even have USB? How old is this thing? Uh yeah then you can try picking up a wireless parallel port server (if you can even find one) if you really want to keep the printer. You can buy a new printer but I wouldn't expect it to have the reliability of the longevity of the one you have now--them's the breaks as everything is made super cheaply in China these days. Up to you what you want to do. Keep in mind that even if you can find a wireless parallel server, you may end up having compatibility problems in the end.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
If you have an old laptop or pc around you can always link it to that and use it as your bridge.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12137 posts
8878 upvotes
GTA, ON
bobmacgolf wrote: Does it have a Ethernet port? I pluged mine into the router which has4 Ethernet ports but my Brother printer is a network version.

Bob
This.

Since you don't have one, time to buy a new printer. If you want to save money then buy a printer wih ethernet capability and attach to a router rather than a wireless printer.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 21, 2014
260 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
honestly just buy a new printer. They go on sale all the time & the test cartridges are good for a few hundred at least. It's way better than a print server
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11543 posts
2542 upvotes
Montreal
stephen5 wrote: honestly just buy a new printer. They go on sale all the time & the test cartridges are good for a few hundred at least. It's way better than a print server
It's a laser printer, not an inkjet printer.

A network (wired) adapter is about 40$, the wireless ones 80$+.
Dec 21, 2014
260 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver
alkizmo wrote: It's a laser printer, not an inkjet printer.

A network (wired) adapter is about 40$, the wireless ones 80$+.
i know. You can get a wireless laser printer from bestbuy for $99 + tax. Worth it in my opinion