Travel

Cheapest way to move vehicle from ON to BC?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2019 3:58 pm
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
240 posts
95 upvotes

Cheapest way to move vehicle from ON to BC?

It's looking like I might have to make the move soon. I don't think I would do very well making the drive, as I'm 6 months pregnant and don't like driving in the night, so the days would be short (thus lots of hotel nights).

I looked at train, and it's around $1200-$1500 for my car alone. Is that really the only option? I can't really think of anything else.

I do have some house stuff to move as well, but not a ton.

Thanks for any tips!
15 replies
Feb 29, 2008
283 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
Uhaul and tow your car with their truck.
Aug 3, 2017
163 posts
89 upvotes
I drove a car to Yukon for a friend this spring, it was around $500 for gas alone taking the Canadian route, so hard to do it for less than $1,500 including meals and hotel. The $1,200 train seems like a great deal assuming it doesn't take forever. That's why my friend had me drive hers - the train/truck route was going to be like 6 weeks.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2331 posts
888 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's about 2,500 km from the Manitoba border to the coast, almost the same from Toronto to Manitoba so it's a lot in fuel, as well as wear 'n tear.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
240 posts
95 upvotes
Yeah, that's what I worry about. The vehicle is brand new, maybe 1500 KMs on it. So I don't REALLLLLY want to put that much for mileage on it.

I did a calculator and it routed me through the US, I think the Canadian way is longer. Anyways, it said $900 in gas, so add 5 nights of hotel stays and then food. It'd be $$$.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
240 posts
95 upvotes
fuzzy2k3 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 11:35 am
I couldn't. I wouldn't be comfortable driving it. And I would ruin small cities trying to park. LMAO.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4445 posts
1853 upvotes
Mississauga
You driving it or having it shipped is going to be well over $1000. Pick yer poison. :)
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10167 posts
7463 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Cheapest = Self Drive
Even with Gas, Mileage / Wear & Tear + Expenses (Food & Hotels)
Vs
Least Painful ... but not cheap
You send the vehicle by train, and you fly

3rd Alternative
You pay someone else to drive the vehicle
There are services for this
Buy that ain’t cheap either
AND there are scammers in this industry ... so it can be riddled with issues / problems
You’d have to do your homework
(Contacting CAA Or CARP might be a place to start ... they might know of reliable Companies as they both are organizations that deal extensively with Cdn Snowbirds who use these services a lot ... be they escaping the weather to the US South, or Canada’s West Coast)

Personally, I had a Brother who once needed to get to a long term job in the oil patch in Alberta ... they needed him ASAP.
He didn’t have time to drive
So he put his vehicle on the train & flew out to otherwise get settled
By all accounts he was very satisfied with the experience
Oct 11, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
I just answered a question about this as far as a company to recommend, but the cheapest way to do it is on an open carrier, which is probably not advisable this time of year. Search for local shippers in both areas and start comparing prices for enclosed shipping. Once you narrow down a few shippers that you like, you can easily get a quote from all of them in a matter of minutes, just put in some time to find one with the proper experience.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3370 posts
2572 upvotes
Since the car is brand new and arguably has (barely) been "broken in" you really don't want to roll it all that distance. If you're using U-Haul to move to BC you would want it on this trailer, so all 4 wheels are off the ground:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-Tra ... Rental/AT/

As long as you don't mind having to cross the border twice (with the potential customs implications given all those personal effects you're carrying) the US route would hands-down be the smoother, easier, and of course shorter way to go. You'd rather be on freeways the whole way (I-90) rather than deal with the Trans-Canada which is mostly 2-lane.
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14306 posts
3641 upvotes
London
QTsmum wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 10:30 am
It's looking like I might have to make the move soon. I don't think I would do very well making the drive, as I'm 6 months pregnant and don't like driving in the night, so the days would be short (thus lots of hotel nights).

I looked at train, and it's around $1200-$1500 for my car alone. Is that really the only option? I can't really think of anything else.

I do have some house stuff to move as well, but not a ton.

Thanks for any tips!
There are some really flakey vehicle shipping "companies" that ship for "cheap". For example, there's already a huge thread on RFD about a company that goes by multiple names like "Vehicles in Motion". It cost some customers months and big dollars to trace and recover their cars from a farmer's field when they were supposedly on trucks and in transit.
example of a cheapie company: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/vehicles ... m-1814459/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8708 posts
1810 upvotes
London
$1,200-1,500 is not bad at all, I sent a Honda Civic from Toronto to Vancouver about 20 years ago and it was about $800. They shipped the civic in a container by train.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24821 posts
10265 upvotes
fuzzy2k3 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 11:35 am
I knew this was going to be a joke when I first read it so I decided to see how much it'd cost.
10' truck plus their trailer works out to $3500 for equipment costs alone not including fuel.
Let's say you're hauling empty and don't mind sleeping in the truck, you're looking at like $5000 when you factor in fuel.

$1500 via train looks like a steal.
Dec 12, 2005
102 posts
15 upvotes
Post your shipping request on Uship.com. It costs you nothing to post and see what bids you get. You pay only if you accept a bid.

You pay directly to Uship after delivery, not the driver so you are guaranteed that your shipment doesn't have a problem.

I live in Alberta and many used trucks are purchased by dealers at auctions and shipped east. The truckers then need to find a return load.

I've used Uship a number of times and I always saved a lot of money. Don't take the first bids because truckers bid against themselves for your shipment.
Dec 7, 2003
819 posts
77 upvotes
Hang on. Are telling me that Shipping Wars is fake???

regrus wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2019 12:43 am
You pay directly to Uship after delivery, not the driver so you are guaranteed that your shipment doesn't have a problem.