• Sep 20th, 2020 12:48 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
618 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto

Cheapest way to own a cat?

I’m just doing some research to see what are ways to cut down on cost of owning a cat.

I saw some people goes to Home Depot and get saww dust as cat litter.

Diu cardboard toys

As for everything else maybe y’all experts can pitch in!
Also any recommendations for a vet in north York area one that’s not going to over charge for spraying and vaccinations
18 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19821 posts
5160 upvotes
Off the 404
Owning 2 is cheaper then one.

Medical procedures won't ever be cheap, the only place is Toronto Humane Society where they subsidize the pricing but there is a long waiting line, and they've also currently in dire need of financial help and donations.

With pets, you can't really cheap out. You have to cheap out on yourself first lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9322 posts
8141 upvotes
Markham
Cat litter from Costco
Cat food from TLC
Litter box from the Dollar Store
Toys from the Dollar Store

Spaying/Vaccinations go to the Toronto Humane Society
Vet care go to the Toronto Humane Society
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4418 posts
1949 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Cheapest way? Have someone else's cat over as a casual part-time owner (or rather, employee/servant).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1107 posts
1461 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Cheapest way? Have someone else's cat over as a casual part-time owner (or rather, employee/servant).
Offer a free cat sitting service. Can one really "own" a cat anyway ?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4418 posts
1949 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
6060842 wrote: Offer a free cat sitting service.
That's a way. Can even get free housing thrown in.
Can one really "own" a cat anyway ?
Those who know know that a cat owns you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6473 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
For a litter box, I'd recommend an enclosed one. There's a standard brown/beige two-piecer that you can get at Loblaws, Walmart, Canadian Tire, etc..
I started by leaving it with the top off in the middle of the room. Over the course of a few days, I slowly moved it to where I wanted it to be, then put the cover on (with the "door" detached), then eventually put the door on while demonstrating to my cat that if you push it, it opens.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1218 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
Please don't have any pet if you are going to cheap out.
Being cheap is not the same as being frugal and providing good care for the animal.

Can you handle an out of the blue 5K vet bill? 10K?
A pet is not the same thing as a car that you can just take to the scrapper.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2874 posts
711 upvotes
Mars
I consider myself a hardcore RFDer, and yes, call me cheap, but I don't go cheap on my pets. I'm not saying that I will buy fancy costumes for my pets - no, save that money, put the money in good use - better food, better litter, better anything that conducive to their health, something makes them happy, not something you take pics and upload to instagram.

one of my cats cost me nearly $4000 for surgery 8 years ago and he is 20 years old now, I have never regret a penny that have spent on him, sure i have been ripped off by vets - they all do, but as long as they can treat my cats well, I will suck it up.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6473 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
forgetpwd wrote: I consider myself a hardcore RFDer, and yes, call me cheap, but I don't go cheap on my pets. I'm not saying that I will buy fancy costumes for my pets - no, save that money, put the money in good use - better food, better litter, better anything that conducive to their health, something makes them happy, not something you take pics and upload to instagram.

one of my cats cost me nearly $4000 for surgery 8 years ago and he is 20 years old now, I have never regret a penny that have spent on him, sure i have been ripped off by vets - they all do, but as long as they can treat my cats well, I will suck it up.
Well, for the litter/litter box it doesn't really matter to the cat. It's up to you whether you're willing to spend extra for extra "features" (lightweight litter, self-cleaning box, etc..).
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
2874 posts
711 upvotes
Mars
ConsoleWatcher wrote: Well, for the litter/litter box it doesn't really matter to the cat. It's up to you whether you're willing to spend extra for extra "features" (lightweight litter, self-cleaning box, etc..).
litter box, maybe, litter does make some difference on cats, and on owners too, some just way too dusty, just to mention one of disadvantages
Apr 30, 2020
53 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
owning a cat doesn't have to be expensive, but it can be.

diy cat toys are just as good as store bought.. your cat won't care at all and will enjoy either or just the same.
do buy a cat tree or some sort of cat furniture though.. you could also buy good condition used to save money. cat's like to get up high, you could install a few cat shelves for cheap.
a basic litter bin costs $20, buy wood pellets not kitty litter, a bag costs $7 and lasts at least a month for a single cat.
cat food is the most expensive part.. i've heard repeatedly that the most important is feeding your cat wet food.
on the cheap end you could probably feed your cat for $1 per day on wet food (friskies), or $2 (fancy feast). if you go up to the mid grade quality stuff then its $3+ per day.

So lets say you spend $200 to get all the basics... carrier, litter bin, furniture..
then after that you'd just need about $7 for litter and $60 for food per month..
still not dirt cheap but that's about what you could expect to pay in general.
then there is pet insurance or some sort of contingency fund in case the cat gets sick..

if you adopt from the spca or some rescue organization then it might cost you around $200 for the adoption, but it will also include the neuter/spay which if you do separately, costs more than the whole adoption.
i think for $100 per month, you can take care of one cat comfortably with decent food and put aside at least $20 per month in case something happens some day, or get the pet insurance.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3284 posts
584 upvotes
OP, please do not get a cat, particularly in these times. I don't know what your reasoning is for wanting the cheapest way to own a cat - whether there are money issues, you just want to be a "real RFDer" or you just want to have a cat without the costs that come with owing a pet.

Owning a pet is expensive, much more so it seems these days. Pet Insurance is expensive (we had it). We were "employees" or "personal servants" to our recently passed dog and wouldn't have had it any other way. We really miss him.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4418 posts
1949 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Blanche123 wrote: We were "employees" or "personal servants" to our recently passed dog and wouldn't have had it any other way.
Nah, you own a dog (condolences on the dog, my sister keeps the ashes of her late Chow and he's been dead much longer than he was alive). The cat definitely owns you.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3284 posts
584 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: Nah, you own a dog (condolences on the dog, my sister keeps the ashes of her late Chow and he's been dead much longer than he was alive). The cat definitely owns you.
thrftshopper - Normally I would definitely agree with you, except our breed of dog was very cat-like - and we have had cats. Actually many people where one wants a dog and another wants a cat get our type of dog and both were happy. Our vet and also our dog boarder mentioned that we were all there to serve our dog - and of course it was part of his charm! We really miss him. Thank you for your condolences.

We don't keep our dog's ashes (I don't want mine kept either) - but it is the memories that you have and make you laugh. I know that your sister despite her Chow being gone longer than he was alive, will feel his loss forever.

I know a woman who really misses her bunny rabbit who died 45 years ago. Pets really do become part of our lives.