• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 12:48 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4653 posts
2022 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Blanche123 wrote: thrftshopper - Normally I would definitely agree with you, except our breed of dog was very cat-like - and we have had cats. Actually many people where one wants a dog and another wants a cat get our type of dog and both were happy.
Just curious as to what breed it was. We have Ragdoll cats who are said to be the most dog-like (though they're still predators). My wife went to visit her brother and nephew and the cats (one more than the other) have been moping in her absence, to the point of not coming for their regular treats.
We don't keep our dog's ashes (I don't want mine kept either) - but it is the memories that you have and make you laugh. I know that your sister despite her Chow being gone longer than he was alive, will feel his loss forever.
She's healthy enough mentally not to be mourning her dog in perpetuity. Given her husband and her a lot more freedom to travel. This COVID stretch since earlier this year is about 3-4x longer than any period they've been in country since the dog passed!
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11805 posts
2349 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Owning 2 is cheaper then one.
Come on, you know that's not true. The time and effort required is minimal for 2 cats vs 1 and some costs don't increase by much, but food and vet costs are double.... Although... 2 cats trend to keep each other company rather than being destructive. So in that case maybe if you're the type that has full grain leather sofas, priceless rugs, and like to leave crystal glasses near the edge of tables, then 2 cats a will likely cost less than 1 lonely destructive cat.

Here's my take on where you can cut corners with cats.

No:
Food - The worse you do on this, the higher the vet bills may end up being.

Yes:
Cat bed - Don't even buy one. The entire house is their bed. They'll sleep everywhere, but the cat bed.
Cat tree - Cats love to be elevated. It gives them a safe haven as they can't get stepped on and they can see the entire room. Build one yourself. It's much easier than you think and material is mostly free. You probably know of someone or you yourself has scrap carpet and wood. If not, you can even re-use old Ikea furniture, glue some carpet on there and wrap some sisal rope around some of the legs.
Cat toys - Cats do love laser pointers and those fishing line toys, but they also love boxes. My cats love water bottle caps. They will actually play fetch with them. Most cats love catnip, but wait until they are a little older. Kittens tend not to care as much for it than adults cats.
Cat litter - Yes sawdust is a valid alternative to traditional kitty litter. If you got a cheap source then go for it. You may want to get some sort of deodorizer like baking soda as saw dust isn't the best at covering the smell.
Spay/neuter - OSPCA. There was an independent organization that offered spay and neutering for super cheap. OSPCA took it over, but fortunately they still operate at a low cost. Only $75... but they do have a long wait list and it's kinda far (Stouffville or Barrie). They also have a mobile service for people in the city of Toronto, but with COVID and all, not sure if that's still running.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19836 posts
5194 upvotes
Off the 404
joeyjoejoe wrote: Come on, you know that's not true. The time and effort required is minimal for 2 cats vs 1 and some costs don't increase by much, but food and vet costs are double.... Although... 2 cats trend to keep each other company rather than being destructive. So in that case maybe if you're the type that has full grain leather sofas, priceless rugs, and like to leave crystal glasses near the edge of tables, then 2 cats a will likely cost less than 1 lonely destructive cat.

Here's my take on where you can cut corners with cats.

No:
Food - The worse you do on this, the higher the vet bills may end up being.

Yes:
Cat bed - Don't even buy one. The entire house is their bed. They'll sleep everywhere, but the cat bed.
Cat tree - Cats love to be elevated. It gives them a safe haven as they can't get stepped on and they can see the entire room. Build one yourself. It's much easier than you think and material is mostly free. You probably know of someone or you yourself has scrap carpet and wood. If not, you can even re-use old Ikea furniture, glue some carpet on there and wrap some sisal rope around some of the legs.
Cat toys - Cats do love laser pointers and those fishing line toys, but they also love boxes. My cats love water bottle caps. They will actually play fetch with them. Most cats love catnip, but wait until they are a little older. Kittens tend not to care as much for it than adults cats.
Cat litter - Yes sawdust is a valid alternative to traditional kitty litter. If you got a cheap source then go for it. You may want to get some sort of deodorizer like baking soda as saw dust isn't the best at covering the smell.
Spay/neuter - OSPCA. There was an independent organization that offered spay and neutering for super cheap. OSPCA took it over, but fortunately they still operate at a low cost. Only $75... but they do have a long wait list and it's kinda far (Stouffville or Barrie). They also have a mobile service for people in the city of Toronto, but with COVID and all, not sure if that's still running.
You're not wrong that I may be exaggerating but I definitely included potential damage costs when the single cat is bored out of their mind and decides zoomies on the countertop or using up their energy by scratching and biting the sofa.