• May 17th, 2019 1:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1209 posts
163 upvotes
M4W 1J6

Cheapest way to port out now that Virgin prepaid requires $15/month plan

What's the cheapest way to port out now that activating with Virgin prepaid's cheapest plan is $15? Not sure when they made this change.
7 replies
May 25, 2015
94 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
I ported out with Bell a month or two ago. Prepaid sim from eBay for $0.99, and no payment was required when porting out to a Bell account online. It might still work, not sure.
Koodo $50/12GB - 25% EPP = $37.50/12GB
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19859 posts
7980 upvotes
Toronto
jshmeek wrote: I ported out with Bell a month or two ago. Prepaid sim from eBay for $0.99, and no payment was required when porting out to a Bell account online. It might still work, not sure.
When you do this port to Bell without payment, can you port the number out from Bell after it has been ported in?
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
May 25, 2015
94 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
will888 wrote: When you do this port to Bell without payment, can you port the number out from Bell after it has been ported in?

Great question. I didn't do this as I was simply cancelling a line, but I would assume so. The number is on an account with an account number, it just doesn't have service. Don't take my word for it though as I have no experience with the extra step.
Koodo $50/12GB - 25% EPP = $37.50/12GB
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19859 posts
7980 upvotes
Toronto
jshmeek wrote: Great question. I didn't do this as I was simply cancelling a line, but I would assume so. The number is on an account with an account number, it just doesn't have service. Don't take my word for it though as I have no experience with the extra step.
It would be fantastic if the number can then be ported out. Some people want to do port out and port in. This could be a really cheap and simple option for that situation.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Feb 5, 2019
39 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Raptors wrote: What's the cheapest way to port out now that activating with Virgin prepaid's cheapest plan is $15? Not sure when they made this change.
Virgin for years has had a $100 prepaid plan that doesn't expire for 365 days. Most carriers do, but many don't advertise it. I have it on an emergency phone for my parents. Perfect for that one or two times a month when they might need it.

You have to call in to get it, or maybe you can set it up through their online chat. Just an option if you want to stick with Virgin.

-Stephen R Clark-
WhistleOut Canada
whistleout.ca

All The Best Wireless Plans, All In One Place.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3689 posts
3342 upvotes
Muskoka
theMediaman wrote: Virgin for years has had a $100 prepaid plan that doesn't expire for 365 days. Most carriers do, but many don't advertise it. I have it on an emergency phone for my parents. Perfect for that one or two times a month when they might need it.

You have to call in to get it, or maybe you can set it up through their online chat. Just an option if you want to stick with Virgin.
Not really part of this thread but... PM's $10/month plan ($8 after autopay) is cheaper. And I think Speakout is even cheaper again.

Many people have reported being able to use Bell Prepaid and Lucky Mobile as solutions to port in another number without having to put money in the account up front.
Public Mobile
Dec 29, 2007
12 posts
Ontario
theMediaman wrote: Virgin for years has had a $100 prepaid plan that doesn't expire for 365 days. Most carriers do, but many don't advertise it. I have it on an emergency phone for my parents. Perfect for that one or two times a month when they might need it.

I understand the Virgin Mobile $100 / 365-day prepaid plan is going away. Apparently, VM is telling existing customers:
"As of July 21st, 2019 the monthly charge for pay-per-use prepaid plan will increase to $5.
- For Members with monthly add-ons, this charge will be processed on next monthly due date starting July 21st, 2019 and each monthly due date after.
- For Members without monthly add-ons, this charge will be processed on July 21st, 2019 and each monthly due date after.
- You will receive 10 minutes of local talk time each month. Any additional usage will continue to be charged at your current plan rates.
You'll continue to have 24/7 access to our network and there will be no changes to your 911 service or to the features associated with your plan.
Prepaid funds applied to your account are non-refundable."