Students

Cheating at Canadian Universities Reminder to stay honest

[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes

Cheating at Canadian Universities Reminder to stay honest

From the recent college cheating scandal in the US, it seems the light is being shone on cheating at Canadian schools as well.
https://business.financialpost.com/dian ... oure-wrong
I want to say to the kids in school, going to college/uni that cheating is not worth it, want to remind students here to stay honest
I can share that at my University cheating was quite rampant, the atmosphere eventually affects all the students, and I eventually let my guard down and I was booked for Academic Misconduct for committing "group attendance fraud" resulting in forfeiting 15% of my mark in a course. Really got to remind yourself every morning to not cheat...when everyone else seems to be doing it and getting away with it, which is the hardest thing.
As for some families buying advantages for their kids, its unfair but has been going on and will continue to go on even after this scandal, they will just find better ways of hiding it.

To those who have been forced into "cheated" to survive the academic pressures of school, and gotten away with it, know that you are also both a perp and victim, professional dishonesty eventually will catch up with you, either now or later in the workforce / business.

Thanks for all the many likes in this post, thinking back, a lot of crazy stuff goes on in schools, didn't get to mention another brazen exam cheating route that went around back 10 years ago, was some kids (international students of a certain ethnic group) hired contractors/upper years to write their exams for them, which was crazy, back in the day fake IDs weren't even used, they just assumed everyone looked the same to the TAs... well like another poster indicated, they got away with it somehow and lived to tell others about it. From the recent US college admission scam, this kind of stuff goes on all the time as well for SATs, MCATs, GREs, another shot in the gut for honest hard working suckers.

Pulling fire alarms during exams was a huge thing back in the day too, with masked hoodlums going into exam halls and pulling the alarm and clearing out the building, happened twice to me and it benefited a lot of the students, myself was beneficiary as well because it gave us 1 extra day to study + practice exam. Second time fire alarm didn't help, material was hard, I didn't know what I was doing, was a miracle I passed anyways...

Yep, remember what I unscrupulous tard I was back then and still is today.
Last edited by UNOAIMX on Apr 23rd, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1372 upvotes
Just what is 'group attendance fraud'?

I remember an identifiable race of students in my classes deciding that a final exam was a group exam.
May 30, 2018
5 posts
4 upvotes
I'd imagine group attendance fraud is when there's a sign up sheet or something and you sign the sheet for your friends that skipped class. Something along those lines.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1368 upvotes
Bay Area
burnt69 wrote: Just what is 'group attendance fraud'?

I remember an identifiable race of students in my classes deciding that a final exam was a group exam.
For a few of my courses at UofT, "clicker questions" accounted for about 5% of the total mark. Every single lecture without fail (yes even the first one), I'd see certain individuals trot out 10+ clickers. That is group attendance fraud.
Jan 1, 2015
671 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UNOAIMX wrote: From the recent college cheating scandal in the US, it seems the light is being shone on cheating at Canadian schools as well.
I want to say to the kids in school, going to college/uni that cheating is not worth it, want to remind students here to stay honest
I can share that at my University cheating was quite rampant, the atmosphere eventually affects all the students, and I eventually let my guard down and I was booked for Academic Misconduct for committing "group attendance fraud" resulting in forfeiting 15% of my mark in a course. Really got to remind yourself every morning to not cheat...when everyone else seems to be doing it and getting away with it, which is the hardest thing.
As for some families buying advantages for their kids, its unfair but has been going on and will continue to go on even after this scandal, they will just find better ways of hiding it.

To those who have been forced into "cheated" to survive the academic pressures of school, and gotten away with it, know that you are also both a perp and victim, professional dishonesty eventually will catch up with you, either now or later in the workforce / business.
Nice scare tactics lol. Just because you were unlucky and got caught doesn't mean others will as well. Everyone knows cheating has consequences if caught and the risk associated with it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5604 posts
2442 upvotes
Toronto
FrugalConsumer wrote: Nice scare tactics lol. Just because you were unlucky and got caught doesn't mean others will as well. Everyone knows cheating has consequences if caught and the risk associated with it.
Some people take a narrow (in their favour, obviously) view of cheating - i.e. cheating means copying an assignment or sneaking notes into a test. I think as more classes move away from the "your grade is assignment + midterm + final" methodology and include a wider variety of inputs (class attendance, participation, clickers, online quizzes etc.), the definition of "cheating" hasn't expanded to the same degree in students' minds.

For example when I was a student, it was common for people to do online quizzes as a group. Sometimes we had classes where there was a guest speaker, and since the material wouldn't be on a test, we would get 2% or something for showing up and signing in - so of course people would sign in for their friends. Same with 'clickers' when they came out. No one saw any of these things as serious cheating because they weren't seen as serious activities. "If I can get a good grade on the final, it proves I know the material, who cares if I miss classes - it's dumb to make me lose points for that so it's not cheating if my buddy signs me in, it's just playing the system". Kind of like how people don't think that not paying 5c for a plastic bag at a self checkout is the same as shoplifting from the grocery store.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1368 upvotes
Bay Area
Yeah the whole "forced attendance through clickers" thing really didn't sit too well with me. I mean we're in university, shouldn't we have the freedom to choose how we want to spend our time, as long as we're willing to bear the consequences?
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes
It does become less obvious what the definition of "cheating" is, as society becomes more "unfair" and the wealth gap widens.
As the public school system get defunded and decays while parents with resources send their kids to private schools and hire tutors to increase the capability gap between the next generation.
Obviously all of us want to be on the winning side of the widening wealth gap, but when stuff like this happens - like part of the ongoing US admissions scandal
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society ... -admission
During the admissions process to medical schools and prestigous programs etc., alot of "grey areas" are encountered, for those with resources or connections can easily exploit them.
Is it still cheating, to some not really.... until the FBI catches you
Wealth combined with fraud = success + jail time / community service / probation (depending on net worth)
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1333 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
Would you consider using past tests/exams/test banks (as most profs reuse questions or them all) as cheating? I see this happening so much more...
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes
OP is such a freakin hypocrite when it comes to cheating, if you are going to do it, just do it and don't get caught, is that so hard???
[OP]
Jan 12, 2010
150 posts
36 upvotes
If its available to all students then yea sure no problem, but once it becomes exclusive, ie. some tutoring shops get access to SATs/MCAT/GREs or past exams with detailed solutions not available to public, or pay for access, then Its gets into a grey area when you can pay to give yourself an advantage
Aug 7, 2019
957 posts
327 upvotes
UNOAIMX wrote: From the recent college cheating scandal in the US, it seems the light is being shone on cheating at Canadian schools as well.

Thanks for all the many likes in this post, thinking back, a lot of crazy stuff goes on in schools, didn't get to mention another brazen exam cheating route that went around back 10 years ago, was some kids (international students of a certain ethnic group) hired contractors/upper years to write their exams for them, which was crazy, back in the day fake IDs weren't even used, they just assumed everyone looked the same to the TAs... well like another poster indicated, they got away with it somehow and lived to tell others about it. From the recent US college admission scam, this kind of stuff goes on all the time as well for SATs, MCATs, GREs, another shot in the gut for honest hard working suckers.

Pulling fire alarms during exams was a huge thing back in the day too, with masked hoodlums going into exam halls and pulling the alarm and clearing out the building, happened twice to me and it benefited a lot of the students, myself was beneficiary as well because it gave us 1 extra day to study + practice exam. Second time fire alarm didn't help, material was hard, I didn't know what I was doing, was a miracle I passed anyways...

Maybe I'm just oblivious to it but I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone cheating at my University (wheras you seem to describe it as being rampant). What sorts of things do people do exactly?

And how are people able to cheat on the MCAT? When I wrote it, there were security cameras everywhere in the building, palm scans, etc.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13784 posts
7945 upvotes
Toronto

UNOAIMX wrote: OP is such a freakin hypocrite when it comes to cheating, if you are going to do it, just do it and don't get caught, is that so hard???
So wait, you're calling yourself a hypocrite?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24774 posts
1886 upvotes
Markham, ON
what the F is going on it in this thread...is OP talking to himself.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
618 upvotes
DT Calgary
Kherani wrote: OP forgot to login to his alt.
Ya, that looks like the most likely scenario. Quite embarrassing. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6928 posts
6432 upvotes
Toronto
UNOAIMX wrote: OP is such a freakin hypocrite when it comes to cheating, if you are going to do it, just do it and don't get caught, is that so hard???
Split personality disorder, anyone?
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
FreshCo wrote: Ya, that looks like the most likely scenario. Quite embarrassing. :facepalm:
LOL....so much drama for one person and all about cheating.....gosh.....this person's life gotta be interesting (cheating in school >> cheating in life) .... what's next?